What's new

The PRONTO REMOTE thread. Questions to be posted here.... (1 Viewer)

Kenneth Hoiland

Auditioning
Pronto or RC 5000 ?? Philis or Marantz.. The Philips is not yet available in Norway, but the Marantz is. Is there a reason besides colors to wait for the philips?? I have seen some software differences may be a problem.. A tip anyone??
------------------
My babies:
Sony CRT projector
180 cm X 180 cm screen gain 1,5
Pioneer DV 515 DVD player region free
Sony VCR
Sony DB925 DD & DTS Receiver
Jamo speakers all around
Sound Dynamics 15" 150 watt subwoofer
Current DVD count: 86

Seymour Uranowitz

Stunt Coordinator

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Seymour,
Great point.
This is a testimonial...
A week ago when I was pondering a $100 Sony
touchscreen remote, if you even suggested I pay
$300 for a remote control, I'd tell you that you
were nuts!
Well, thanks to this forum and the testimonials
of the Pronto addicts, I am now a Pronto addict.
This was the best $300 I spent in a long time.
I have spent -no kidding - 10 hours in 2 days
in front of my computer laying out my custom
remote.
This remote is fantastic, and is fully capable
of replacing every remote you own.
Just the fact that you can custom design this
baby on your computer is the most fun I have had
with an electronic toy.
Seymour has seen my CCF file, and he was impressed.
And, I did it with no experience. I just asked a
lot of questions and had people like Seymour and Tim
help me out.
This is a MUST BUY item!
------------------
re-2.jpg

Ronald Epstein
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected] NEW EMAIL ADDRESS - PLEASE UPDATE!
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

Darren Merrill

Auditioning
... but whatever you do, DON'T drop it on a hard surface (ie. hardwood floor). Even a short drop (less than 2'6") can crack the touchscreen if it lands just right.
The Pronto cannot (or will not) be repaired by Philips.
Your only alternatives are to buy a new one (~$300) or exchange it for a new one, directly from Philips, for $150. Unfortunately, I was told that not everyone qualifies for the exchange deal. Luckily, I did.
So, be careful...

John Sully

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
My name is John and I'm sob a Prontoholic.
It all began about a year ago. I bought it the first time I saw it. It was so cool and I really didn't like my Marantz RC2000 all that much...
It started slowly at first. In the beginning I just taught it some IR codes. The I started programming macros. First I taught it how to turn my system on and off. Then I taught it how to change the color preset on my TV. This was small time stuff, I hadn't found out about ProntoEdit yet.
One day I was reading an online review of it and the author provided a pointer to www.remotecentral.com . There I found a link that lead me damnation! I clicked the link, downloaded ProntoEdit and lost control of my life. Soon I was spending all my time trying to find discrete codes and develop the perfect layout. I was creating help systems and channel surfing pages. The Pronto consumed my life.
I'm better now, but I'm getting a new TV soon and will have to reprogram my Pronto...
--John

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
Quote: "So, what you are saying is that we should not
leave the Pronto on the docking station until
the battery has completely worn down?"
Or almost all the way down. Don't wait until it's dead and then go through Pronto withdrawal. Saving the battery life is key. I haven't seen replacement battery prices but I imagine they won't be cheap. What better way for Phillips to get some repeat accessory sales (those marketing classes DID come in handy)?
When I get mine in a couple of weeks, Ron will be my go to guy with the millions of questions that I'm sure to have. It'll be my Christmas present to myself (who gives better gifts to myself than me?).
------------------

Anthony Cler

Stunt Coordinator
I've been to RemoteCentral and have seen a lot of different custom set-ups, but is there a place to find different examples of the start-up or welcome screens?
Anthony
BTW, $300 doesn't seem like much to pay for this much control over your system.

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
Anthony,
Are you looking for graphic ideas or operational? Most of the ccf's at Remote Central have custom start screens. The graphics I'm using are all from there. As far as functionality ideas, I just drew up a little flow chart of my useage, and the expected usage of others in my home, and went from there.
Thom

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I've got a couple of questions:
1. How do you keep the touch screen clean? I would think with all the snacking people do while watching movies that the screen would get smudged beyond recognition.
2. The bitmaps at RemoteCentral are cool, and everything, but is there a utility (other than MS Paint - ugh) for creating your own bitmaps that any of you have used for the Pronto and can recommend? Or is there a part of ProntoEdit I haven't yet discovered that lets me edit my own bitmaps?
Although I've downloaded ProntoEdit, I don't actually own the remote. Nevertheless, I'm having lots of fun. Maybe next year, I'll finally get one (or its successor) for Christmas.
Thanks.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I have spent -no kidding - 10 hours in 2 days in front of my computer laying out my custom remote.
That's it?
redface.gif
You really do get drawn in to tweaking. I even make sure all my buttons are perfectly aligned (there must be a self help group for this).
Re: cleaning the Pronto screen. I just use a lens cleaner. Something very soft and nonabrasive.
After I'm finished my CCF I'm going to send it to Remote Central. Ron - I hope you do the same as I'm interested in checking it out.
--Jay

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jay,
Tell me how to get screenshots and then
upload everything and you have a deal!
We can exchange via email. Send me an
email and we can look at each other's CCF.
I can use some constructive criticism.
------------------
re-2.jpg

Ronald Epstein
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected] NEW EMAIL ADDRESS - PLEASE UPDATE!

magnani

Auditioning
Ok fine...
So what am I going to do with my rc2000 that I never really fully programmed properly because it was just too damn annoying, and caused me to have one more big remote hanging around rather than clear all the old ones? I can't believe you guys are going to force me to get another damn remote... "Screw you guys! I'm goin' home..."
-al
PS - and is a color version on the virge of coming out? ...and why can't I just do all this stuff with a Palm V? Is there an IR remote program out there for the Palm V? I just have the feeling there isn't going to be nearly as much support for the Palm as there is for the Pronto... are the .ccf's proprietary? Wouldn't it be cool if you could convert a .ccf for a Palm... I know... too many questions.

Seymour Uranowitz

Stunt Coordinator
Al,
There has been talk over at Remote Central about a color Pronto coming, but no official word yet. Whenever it arrives, it will cost a lot more than the current model, however.
There was also this discussion at Remote Central last spring that compared the Palm with the Pronto. Bottom line -- the Palm is nice, but it ain't no Pronto.
Also, for anyone interested in learning as much as possible about the Pronto before buying it, I would recommend this summary , written by Daniel Tonks, who runs the Remote Central site. A clear, well-organized, and comprehensive review of its features and capabilities.
Seymour

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Ron
You can capture bitmapped screen shots while using the Emulator. Click to the screen you want to capture and then hit the Print Screen button on your keyboard. A bitmap is saved in the Pronto directory for you to do with as you please.
Re: CCF files, I'll send you an e-mail with mine as it sits to date. You can send your to the reply address.
--Jay

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
What program can you use to EDIT icons that
already exist in your Pronto?
I tried MS PAINT and it sucked!
I have Paintshop Pro that I can install,
unless you have a better idea.
All I want to do is change the names written
on some of the Icons that are part of the Icon
graphic and cannot be changed via ProntoEdit.
------------------
re-2.jpg

Ronald Epstein

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I'm having the same problem. MS Paint produces a nasty edgy font that I need to tweak pixel by pixel in zoom mode. I just tried U-Lead Phote Express (came with my scanner) and no better results. The fonts on Daniel Tonks' bitmaps are amazing - DAN, HOW DID YOU DO THAT?
--Jay

magnani

Auditioning
Man, I hate you guys...
All right, all right... like I don't have enough to do and I don't spend enough time in front of these damn computers... but after checking out all the stuff on remotecentral in terms of .ccf files, and the prontoedit1.04 program, I just can't resist anymore... I just ordered the stinking Pronto... Now... who is going to give me anything at all for a lousy rc2000 (hardly used)? I also still have the old Sony 9000 remote that I never returned to them... I guess I should start getting these stupid extra remotes out of my house...
I hate this. I don't have 20 hours to be putzing with getting all my HT remote capabilities just so. Hey, somebody mentioned using the pronto to control X10 stuff... Anybody doing that? How? Is there a cheap, simple IR to UHF or IR to X10 device out there?
-al

magnani

Auditioning
Thanks Fitz!
I think that's just the ticket! I haven't looked at their catalog in a long time and just remember getting annoyed at their not having what I wanted/needed... They keep adding stuff all the time. They even have an IR controlled 6-way speaker switch... I just might have to get that... a bit pricey though.
-al

Will Cunningham

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick is right, you will need the IR to X10 device he pointed out. You will not need the remote thanks to the POWER of ProntoEdit... Sorry I just watched star wars again and if the power to destroy a planet is insignifigant compared to the power of the force, I figure the power of the force is probably insignifigant compared to the power of pronto edit. :)
The bottom line is you don't have to buy the remote, you can just download a ccf that already has the ir codes learned. They have an X10 section for ccf's over at remote central.
Take Care,
Will

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks