What's new

The promise of an Apple TV (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Steve Jobs' biographical note about cracking the TV code has become the Fermat's Last Theorem of the technology market. I have no idea what they might have in mind. I want a bulletproof Tivo combined with an AppleTV. But that's obviously not it. :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Food for thought: What happens if Apple drops a 4k compatible Apple TV in mid march with graphics capabilities close to or even superior to Xbox One and PS4 for less than $200? Now add to that the potential for anyone to develop for it, with Unreal Engine and Unity middleware for dead cheap, for a $99 fee and apps can be put on it within hours?Does that change if it is small SDD based versus having a 3TB drive on board (with no user installable options?)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've been saying Apple has a video game killer in the AppleTV, if they want to turn it on. Don't even need 4K. Just need a controller scheme and woo some top-shelf games.At 4K, is there a GPU that can power games at 30 FPS and make a $199 box profitable?All I can say is that Apple seems to not be interested. It's not surprising, since it's a big change for them. And there are some real challenges to figure out. But it's a big market.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
DaveF said:
At 4K, is there a GPU that can power games at 30 FPS and make a $199 box profitable?
Maybe that is something Apple is working on? Although there would still be all the other components like storage and networking, etc. that would make a low price like that a tough nut to crack.

A $200 box, or even a $300 box, that could compete with a PS4 or Xbox One is probably unlikely if for no other reason that selling hardware at little to no profit, or even a loss, doesn't seem to be in Apple's DNA.

-Keith

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Despite the AppleTV, I can only guess that Apple doesn't want to be in the dedicated-purpose hardware business. They also don't seem interested in the content-creation business. Their apps are creation tools; they don't do games or entertainment apps.And of course, as Keith says, profit is king. They don't do subsidized hardware, which is a stable of video games consoles.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Clearly something big is coming!
http://9to5mac.com/2014/01/28/apple-tv-graduates-from-hobbyaccessory-to-product-line-ahead-of-major-changes/

Rumors, but.... Solid source, good ideas!
Versions of the new Apple TV in testing are said to include an integrated 802.11ac wireless router.

will likely feature a focus on gaming, and this lines up with a recent iLounge report. We’re led to believe that the game integration will utilize existing iPads, iPhones, and iPod touches as controllers.

testing versions of the Apple TV with a built-in TV tuner component so it has the ability to control your existing cable boxes/TV stations

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
We’re told that Apple has considered combining the Apple TV and AirPort Express products. Versions of the new Apple TV in testing are said to include an integrated 802.11ac wireless router.
I'd probably buy that. I kinda want a new Airport router. And I kinda sorta want an AppleTV. And my current router sits behind on my TV hutch, by my AVR. Merging them, assuming the price doesn't go higher than the current AEBS, would be very attractive to me.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I wonder if Apple might simply be planning to use the same hardware for both devices (router & AppleTV) while continuing to sell them as separate products? From a manufacturing perspective, if the hardware was the same it would help keep costs down which we know is a priority for Apple.

-Keith

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
MS had an ad showing how PowerPoint gives us better artificial legs for kids, or something, I think.Nothing from Apple.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
If this is true, expect a repeat of iPhone:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-02-12/apple-said-to-plan-new-set-top-box-amid-time-warner-cable-talks.html

They will start with second tier cable providers first as the suits at Comcast don't want to be a dumb pipe the way the phone companies are now. The cable providers are jackasses but they aren't dumb. If the iPhone model holds, they will get steamrolled as their customers demand they give them access to the new way of thinking about TV that Apple will introduce. If what Apple's got cooked up ain't all that then the iPhone model won't work and the cable jerks will win.

We'll see, and caveat rumor of course. But gosh do I want to see the cable monopolies squashed.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
It'll be interesting to see what the regulators have to say about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks