What's new

THE PRODUCERS (2005) - Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"Nicole Kidman is out as Ulla due to scheduling conflicts. Her replacement is still yet to be determined."

And there was much rejoicing.

"Ms. Kidman certainly fits the bill."

As Ulla? Not without...um..."enhancements".

Serious "enhancements".

Just saw Nathan Lane and Lee Evans in the London production. The last-minute withdrawal of Richard Dreyfuss was a bonus, as this allowed Lane to step in and I can't imagine anyone playing Bialystock as well as he does. He deserves to have that performance preserved on film.

It looks as if the delay this has caused for the film is responsible for Nicole Kidman's exit. Can't help thinking this is also a bonus, and I look forward to them re-casting the role with someone more Ulla-esque.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member

I always thought that filming was scheduled to begin in February regardless of Lane's last minute stand-in for the London production. That was not the reason for Kidman's pullout.

In fact, Mel Brooks promised Nathan Lane that he would have at least one month off prior to filming if he opened the London production.

~Edwin

You're probably right, Edwin, but when Nathan Lane was announced as the replacement in London I'm sure the BBC reported that this had caused film production to be delayed several months, so there may yet be some slippage on the start date.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Uma Thurman? Bah. I would think an ample-bossomed lady (among other niceties) would be required for the role. If there is one thing Hollywood has in abundance, it's decent pairs of tits, real or fake. You're bound to find a couple attached to half-decent actresses if you actually bother to look.

--
H

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

So, I guess you wouldn't have been happy with Kidman playing the roll either. :D

To be honest, it is amazing what you can do with bras and stuffing. :b Anyways, Ulla is more about attitude than looks, when you get right down to it.

Jason

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
The trailer sounded good - but streaming video on a 56K modem is not really all about the video.

We really need a good downloadable Quicktime version.

Still, my objections to Uma as Ulla vanished when I saw this image from the official site.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
While Uma's aren't enormous, I'd say hers are very nicely sized. :D

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
It's a film version of the Broadway show (which is, of course, based on a Mel Brooks film to begin with.)

It stars Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick, reviving both of their roles from Broadway, and most of the original cast, except for a couple of big-name-stars - Will Farrell (as Franz Liebkind) and Uma Thurman (as Ulla). And it is directed by Susan Stroman, who directed the stage show.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Anyone else notice in the 2005 movie credits that the original Franz Liebkind on Broadway, Brad Oscar, has a cameo as a taxi driver?

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
New trailer! And this time, you can actually download it.

Not sure about the little we hear of Uma's siging, but otherwise it's quite good. Glad to see they're keeping in some of the stranger moments from the show - I was particularly glad to see the Nazi-saluting pigeon.

And, it just occured to me that noone has commented yet that the poster is out.

A larger version can be seen here

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I was just looking at the listing of the movie soundtrack at Amazon, and I was disappointed to learn that they've cut The King of Broadway. I loved that song - especially that great part where he sustains a single rhyme over 12 lines - and I think it really got the show off to a rousing start. Now we just get the short Opening Night, and then nothing until Leo suggests the scheme and they burst into We Can Do It - which is not one of my favourite songs.

Fortunately, they obviously filmed King of Broadway (it is listed as a bonus track) so it should hopefully be on the DVD.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
And there is the additional song, "There's Nothing Like A Show on Broadway", which I heard on XM a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure how it fits in with the plot, but it's a pretty good song.

Jason

Galen_V

Second Unit

Adding to what Paul said, it's probably there to pick up a Best Original Song Oscar nod.

As for "King of Broadway"--there is a shot of Max in the cape and top hat in the most recent trailer, but that could just be from the end of "Opening Night." However, after seeing Larry David's rendition of "King of Broadway", how could you possibly take Nathan Lane's version seriously again?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks