The Prisoner ... on Blu-ray

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Hollywoodaholic, Jun 8, 2009.

1. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

It can be, yes. The UK are on a different HD standard than we are. The UK system is using the same framerate (25fps) as the analog PAL format and the US went with a 30fps rate (the same as NTSC), so these incompatibilities still exist.

Some R2 BluRays are encoded at 30fps anyway if there's a perception that a significant portion of people in NTSC countries would buy/import the titles (some, but not all, BBC titles are this way), but since there's already a US release of this planned, I have some doubts that Network would bother encoding their discs to a non-native framerate that will have to be 'standards-converted' in UK viewers' players.

All I'm saying is, don't get your hopes set too high until there's more info.

2. JoshuaB.

JoshuaB. Second Unit

Joshua
    I'm doubtful the extras from the UK set will be on the A&E set, but I'm really happy the HD transfers are stunning--The Prisoner doesn't look over 40 years old!

3. Jonathan Kaye

Jonathan Kaye Second Unit

The UK is on a different broadcast HD standard; 1080i50, so that there aren't issues with converting to (or simulcasting in) SD.

As far as Blu-ray is concerned, though, UK film-originated discs are 1080p24 apart from (AIUI) very very few exceptions.

I can't think of a reason why A&E wouldn't use the 1080p24 transfers from Network.

4. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    I'm also wondering if the U.S. version comes with the production booklet included in the UK version. Doubtful, looking at the regular BD size of the U.S. version.

5. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    No, the A&E version doesn't come with the production booklet (and why should it at this price), but according to this comparison of the Region B vs. Region A version, the transfers are exactly the same, so THAT is most excellent news.

www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews47/the_prisoner_blu-ray.htm

"Our assumption was correct - the technical statistics bear out that these are essentially the exact same excellent transfers with each episode taking up about 8 Gig (ex. episode one takes up the e-x-a-c-t same disc space!)."

6. MattSav

MattSav Stunt Coordinator

Anyone pick this up yet? How is it? I have Amazon Prime and it will be waiting for me on my porch when I get home from work tonight, I can't wait!

7. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Quote:
    I posted my review last night. It's a beautiful set. The only thing missing is comment from McGoohan. Sure, I would have preferred an insert with episodes names and disc contents, but that's really really really petty.

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

There is a user review in the product database. I've tagged this thread to the db so that you can follow the links at top of the right-hand column.

9. JoshuaB.

JoshuaB. Second Unit

Joshua
    My preorder from Amazon shipped on Monday, but I'm dying to see No. 6 in HD!

10. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

Agreed, it's a beautiful set. The only minor thing was that all the cool docs were on a DVD. I would've liked them in high def on a Blu-ray but I wonder if the DVD-ROM aspect made them use a DVD.

McGoohan's comment was no comment according to the title card before the 94 minute documentary ;).

Cheers.

11. maltydog

maltydog Auditioning

Has anyone had trouble playing the extras disc in this set? My LG BD390 Blu-Ray Player reads the disc as a data disc rather than a DVD. My Panasonic DMR-ES15 DVD recorder reads it as a DVD, and shows the start menu, but when I choose any items on the menu, I get a "cannot play" message.

12. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Considering he was the driving force behind the show, I consider "no comment" to mean he needed to comment. :D

No problem on the PS3.

13. Corey3rd

Corey3rd Screenwriter

McGoohan didn't talk about the show for 40 years, I never expected him to talk about it on the Blu-ray. There are more than enough stories about his actions when the show was in production to know what was going on. He didn't need to ramble on about his genius like Tarantino. The work does speak for itself. Although he probably should have apologized for what he did to Leo McKern.

14. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    Didnt he more or less, really break him in the second to last episode? I remember, that i used to know. LOL

15. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Hey guys-

I've not been to the TV section in a long time, I'm usually in the Hi Def area, so I missed this thread.

I've been debating getting this set. I already have the previous region 1 set. It sounds like the quality from some of your comments is it's as good as the Star Trek releases.

The price at Amazon certainly sounds very tempting!

16. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    Let me be the voice of reason, Nelson...do it. Go ahead, pull the trigger!

I have mine on order, but since i like to save a buck or two, i have it via Amazon snail mail, so i might see it in another week. But i have read several reviews. Looks good, lots of extras too!

17. Nelson Au

Voice of reason?!

I do have it in the cart. Now I just have to pull the trigger. Rick, you're a baaaaad man! I'm tipping over the edge. And so close to Star Trek S3 coming out too.

18. BillyFeldman

BillyFeldman Supporting Actor

It's better than the Star Treks. It's astonishingly beautiful - this show has never looked like this before. It's a home run all the way.

19. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    Did you do it Nelson?

Between this show and Star Trek, it makes you want more 60s filmed shows to turn up on Blu-ray!

I would also be ALL over Space:1999 if it ever came to Blu!

20. Nelson Au

Okay, I caved. "Be seeing you" in about a week! This will be interesting as I don't know The Prisoner as well as I know Trek. So watching it on Blu Ray will be like seeing it the first time.

Space: 1999 would be cool to see on BD. I prefer the first year. There are about 5 episodes that I think are stand-outs, Earthbound, The Last Sunset, The Infernal Machine and The Full Circle and Testament of Arkadia, The plots get murky sometimes. The second year I've not seen in a long time. But one episode I liked where Keonig and Helena get transported to Medieval Earth by accident.