What's new

The Prisoner - next set? (1 Viewer)

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Has there been any word on a 5th (and I assume last) set of Prisoner episodes? I have the first four sets and I'd like to have the last few episodes.
Thank you.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I believe - and I don't know why such a long wait - it's to be released in September. I'm not watching any until I get them all.
------------------
You Can't Roller Skate In a Buffalo Herd - Roger Miller

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Im a little miffed: THE PRISONER in the UK is a 5-disc set....here it is a 10 disc set, and is identical, featurewise....notice how SPACE 1999 contain 5 episodes per set...I dont mind A&E making a bit of profit...but it looks like they definately saw us PRISONER fans coming, and thought..."Lets shove the boot in-deep!"
------------------

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Mark, get ready to be even more pissed... the U.K. Space 1999 dvds have four episodes PER DVD! Yes, we Americans get shat on.
------------------
M. Hyde

Lafe F

Second Unit
What color do you think the last box will be?
Orange? Grey? Brown? Turquoise? Black?

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
My friend is going to loan me the first set, I've never seen this show, but have heard many good things about it.
How many episodes are on each DVD?
------------------
"You are not your job. You are not the money in your bank account. You are not the car you drive. You are not how much money is in your wallet. You are not your f'ing khakis. You are the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world."
fightclub33.jpg

AFI Top 100 films remaining: 40 39 38 37 36 35 34 33 32
Next up: Treasure of Sierra Madre
AOL Instant Messenger: Aureus91

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
THE PRISONER in the UK is a 5-disc set....here it is a 10 disc set, and is identical, featurewise
I'm convinced that A&E doesn't know that RSDL (dual-layer) discs exist. Everything they put out is on single-layer discs. They do a good job on their stuff but the value is not there.
frown.gif

------------------
Too many DVDs, too little time...
AFI 100 Challenge - 38 to go!

Alex Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
i think the next colour will be orange..
as for a&e releasing them single layer and slowly, i can't really complain. sure it would be nice to have released them in half the dvds, but it's just so nice to have them all.
i had missed them back in the laserdisc days and i've only being paying $20 - $25 a box, so i am happy with the work they've done so far..
a
------------------
visit neverville

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
My friend is going to loan me the first set, I've never seen this show, but have heard many good things about it.
How many episodes are on each DVD?
2 episodes per DVD, 2 DVDs per set, each set generally contains 3 episodes plus one "bonus", which is usually something like an episode that did not air, or an interview about the program.
I consider The Prisoner to be the best TV series ever aired - but one's taste needs to run to "thoughtful" programming. A passing interest in psychology helps, as does a taste for intricate espionage stories.

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
All the Avengers releases by A&E have been on DVD 9's so I cant see the point of using DVD 5's for The Prisoner.
Arent they going to be releasing some episodes of Dangerman? If so I wonder if there really are colour negatives around for the last 4 episodes of the final season (not counting the two set in Japan which have always been available in colour). It would be great to have them in colour.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I haven't bought any yet. I figured I should wait for completion of the set, and for fixes.
Then I was at CostCo yesterday, and saw the biggest reason for waiting. They had the Python episodic DVD collection (minus the last 2 discs) for 99! (US).
You know A&E will rerelease the set in its entirety, for a better price...

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Like Philip V, I decided last winter to wait until A&E offers it as a complete set, for the same reasons.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I'm also waiting for the inevitable box set of all the episodes from A&E. I'd expect it about a month after the last set comes out; similar to when the Python box came out. Besides, I want to watch all 17 episodes one at a time over 17 weeks. Well, make that 16 weeks since I'd have to screen 16 and 17 together.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Yep, 'The Avengers' discs have two layers...and a higher bitrate than the US 'The Prisoner' discs. Of course, A&E may be paying a lot more per episode for the rights to the latter, there may be various factors at play. Sets 3 and 4 look damned good, though there are some subtle artifacts on sets 1 and 2.
For yanks, the US discs are still the best deal around...
the UK release has been criticized on Usenet for artifacts, plus you get speedup and conversion artifacts, and you don't get the supplements.
It has been easy to get the US discs for a full 50% off, they are a good deal.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I for one am glad I didn't wait.
Whenever we have an hour or so to kill, the wife and I pop in one or two TV show episodes from our DVDs. We jump around to various series. Prisoner has been one of them; we didn't wait for the entire program to finish coming out.
I had gotten Prisoner for myself, as I enjoyed watching them on Houston's Channel 20 when that station started up in the early 80's. Now my wife has discovered how great the series is, and never realized how wonderful Patrick McGoohan is even though she's seen him all along (she loved him in Braveheart, and is now looking forward to Scanners!).
For those of you only concerned with Set #5 (like us), here you go:
prisonerset5dvd.jpg

http://www.dvdplanet.com/dvd_product.asp?ProductID=19653

Tom De Rosa

Stunt Coordinator
I also waited.
I almost got burned with the Flying Circus, but waited for the complete box set from Costco for $99.
The Prisoner decision was easier due to the soundtrack problems with Boxset 2, AND the fact that I wanted to have ALL the episodes at once. Unlike other shows (X-files et al) there is only 1 season and A&E milked the crap out of it.
Anyway, 9/25/01 look like the release date for the boxset for about $70 or the cost of about 3 sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks