What's new

The Price of High Definition versus SD DVD! (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

While I understand the sentiment (and also greatly benefited from the crazy pre-dot.com-crash days), I suspect you didn't look hard enough for deals nowadays like you did back then, if all you have is 18 BDs and your criteria is similar to Sam's (ie.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Well, I don't think MSRPs have risen, but street prices (at least for relatively recent releases) seem to have. But old titles are still hitting the bargain bins at rock bottom prices though -- and it seems like those rock bottom prices keep going lower too. Heck, I couldn't resist and recently bought a bunch of bargain bin DVDs from Amazon in their 3-for-$10 sale. :P

BTW, didn't I just mention I don't have the shelf space and free time ... Doh!
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
:laugh:

_Man_

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

And I don't have too much to disagree with here either, Paul. Except I don't see it that people in this thread (or the others) are "complaining" about the price of HD or feel "entitled." I see it as they are just staking what their bottom line is.

Is BD a luxury item in the world of home entertainment? You betcha. I remember delaying my entry into the technology of DVD for many of the same reasons you held off on LD. I actually went to 5.1 audio before I purchased a DVD player.

And when I say BD prices are too high, I'm not complaining. I'm just explaining that unless the prices come down some I'm not going to be buying a lot and that there are probably a lot of other people in the same boat. And (as Stuart Smalley would say), that's okay. I understand that the newer technology is going to cost more. Frankly, I'm surprised to see so many BD titles selling for $14.99/$19.99 at a regular basis on-line and in B&M stores. Amazed even.

I guess many of the other threads have revolved around the concept of whether Blu-ray will become the preferred home media of the masses. This is not an argument that the OP presented here--and I don't want to derail his thread by moving the debate in that direction. I only bring it up to say maybe that's why so many people want to say they want to see lower prices on the BD technology.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Usually, as of Sunday, previous weeks sales are done. On release week "Iron Man" single disc was $15 and 2-disc was $23. That's pretty much how new releases have been going for years. If you miss a title on release date and don't want to pay more, just wait about 3 months and most stores have it for $15 again and eventually $10. With that now being the regular price. I really don't see anything new with sd dvd pricing or practices. Everywhere I go Blu-ray prices are coming down as well. Also, "The Happening" is at a whopping $15 this week. If you buy it with "Joyride 2" which is $17 you save an additional $5 on both. I'm just sayin'.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

$15 seems like standard new release pricing for a single disc. But $23 seems higher than it used to be.

Plus, it seems silly to pay that much for a SD-DVD when a much better tech is available (although also at prices outside my range right now).

Shane D

Supporting Actor
i did notice it with iron man too. 15$ for sin gle, 23 for double, 26 for blu-ray. I think the plan is instead of lowering HD, they will just raise SD to make it look more affordable.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Keep in mind (for SD especially, as it is a "mature" format), economic uncertainty on the scale currently happening causes many manufacturers and retailers to be pessimistic about volume of sales, so they are more reluctant to offer razor-thin margins (thus, fewer bargains). A prolonged slump in sales, though, tends to lead to bargains to incite people to buy more in general ("loss leaders" are advertised to draw people into stores). I would expect to see fewer SD bargains for a while until the longer term economic prospects become clearer (a lengthy sluggish period without too steep an overall drop--recent events appear dramatic, but historically, we've seen far worse--vs a free-fall--not that likely, but still possible).

troy evans

Screenwriter
They may. In my area and where I buy my sd dvds and Blu's I don't see the prices of sd dvd changing. If Blu-rays are coming to a comparable price point with sd dvds in the future it'll mean Blu's getting cheaper. I can't imagine raising the price of sd dvds when they are sales slumping.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Your are not alone on that. I have commented on it myself in other threads.

My take on it is that of studios want to make BR prices look better relative to SD DVD they can either lower the price of BR, or raise the price of DVD. From my unscientific study of the Sunday circulars, they have in many instances raised the price of SD DVD.

Brian

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

I haven't really paid too close attention although it does seem a bit like this may be happening. However, are you sure it's the studios doing this? MSRPs haven't gone up as far as I can tell. It's possible that they might've raised the wholesale distribution prices to the retail chains, etc., but I'm guessing the retailers themselves have at least as much, if not more, to do w/ what you guys are seeing than the studios themselves.

Like Paul mentioned above, it's typically the retailers who use bargain priced DVDs as loss leaders to get people to shop and spend more $$$. This aspect really impacts street prices, and likely much more so than most folks (who complain about "high prices") care to admit -- not that I'm pointing fingers here in this thread... :P

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If the studios want to reach 12.5% or higher Blu-ray penetration in video sales on every title like it was for "The Dark Knight" then they're going to have to close the price gap between Blu-ray and SD DVD. They need to realize that as this country's recession deepens in 2009, they need to think outside the box in their desire to increase Blu-ray penetration into the video software market.

I'm not saying it has to be equal, but it can't be a $10 difference for the general public shopping at any of the major retailers. Most of us here are pretty educated on where to get bargains, but we're the exception not the rule in that regard. When you walk into BB, CC or Wal-mart and see those $30 price tags for BRD, it becomes a turnoff to a buying public used to cheaper entertainment especially a public worrying about their job and keeping their homes.

Time to wake up and smell the coffee studios, especially Fox and Disney.

Blu-ray buyers still support cheaper DVD - 12/31/2008 - Video Business

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Perhaps I'm spoiled but I finally started buying some Blu-ray discs but I refuse to spend over $15.

I'm sure prices will eventually go down as they did with SD but for right now I don't see the format hurting SD in any way, shape or form. Too many people are seeing those high prices and "sale" prices of $25 and they aren't going to jump. Not to mention countless people have made great collections out of that $5 bin and these people are going to be hard pressed to start collection $30 titles.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Like most everyone else, I feel BD needs to be lower priced in order to make it more desirable for the general public, and to get it more mainstream.

I get completely turned off seeing a BD movie priced at $29.99 - $34.99 and there's no way I've been biting for that price, but I'd imagine I'd make the occasional odd exception for a really cherished movie I can't resist picking up immediately (if BEN-BUR or BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN were on Blu for $30, I'd probably cave in). But overall, I'm looking for buys of $20 and under. I have bought a few BD movies for $22 and $25, but I don't like doing that and have been trying to restrain myself.

Mayor Quimby

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Chini
IMO, $19.99 for the 'latest greatest' and $14.99 for your standard content is MORE than fair. I understand there are costs involved in restoration etc. but seriously, the economy is weak and getting weaker. The biggest mistake they can make it to 'fall behind'. Now's the time to get out in front of this thing and get more people onboard.

They should also allow for across the board trade-ins of dvd's. As much as I want to upgrade, I'm not going to. If I have it on dvd, you're not getting my $20 for another version on BD. Gimme $10 for a trade and you have a deal.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

I got a gift card to Best Buy and went there the day after Christmas to pick up a title and I swear I walked around for over an hour and held dozens of titles in my hands but couldn't go through with it. I held personal favorites like DELIVERANCE, COOL HAND LUKE, BUTCH/SUNDANCE KID and others in my hand but I couldn't justify paying $25. I remembered that they were cheaper on the BB website not to mention other places. I finally settled on JFK, which was $30, a price I'd NEVER pay. Since I had the $25 card I realized it would only cost me $5 so I went through with it. Got it to the register to have it ring up for $12.99 so I came off good here.

I noticed that various LionsGate titles are rather cheap and I had them send me a few so I could go over the quality and I was pleased with FIRST BLOOD, although that's the only one I've watched so far.

I doubt I do too much buying until the prices come down but I noticed a few sellers on this site that offer cheap titles. I might go through them or Amazon's marketplace dealers but again, I'm not going over $15 unless it's a box set. I want the DIRTY HARRY box but not for $80 when I already own all the titles.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Pretty much why I'me going the rental route for this generation, with over about 1500 DVD's I cannot justify spending again, I will however rent it on Blu Ray or thru Digital Downloading Via Apple TV and my upcoming Vudu box, this weekend alone I rented Day the Earth Stood still and Resident Evil Degeneration via Blockbuster Online, Holiday Inn and Mad Max Thunderdome from Apple TV, and I'll be renting the January titles via Vudu and HDX if available. If it's a AAA Title Like Dark Knight that I really want to Own I'll grab it on sale, but I tell you after DVD I look Long and Hard whether I actually need to Own it or not.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

This is a bit off this topic, but on the other board I actually complained about the "swimmy" faces at some parts of the FIRST BLOOD Blu-ray. You may want to weigh in over there.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I picked up all three Rambo movies for $10 each at Wal-Mart. I was pleased with the PQ. I think II and III looked sharper than First Blood, but I had no complaints.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I've been noticing the price of SD DVDs creeping up for over a year now. It used to be a new special edition release was $19.95 on release day, now it seems to be pushing $25 or more for a SE release.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks