What's new

The Pretender coming to dvd!..... (1 Viewer)

Katherine_K

Second Unit
I've never heard of anyone having a problem with Fox's use of double sided discs.

Most problems I've heard involve either Universal or Warner

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I received a number of reports in my recent query regarding DVD-18s, so there ARE complaints out there, but nowhere near the number of complaints with Universal titles.

Gord

John*D

Second Unit
Why is FOX using double-sided discs for Pretender?

None of the other FOX tv-on-dvd titles I have are double-sided. I wish they would stop.

Katherine_K

Second Unit
Both Pretender sets I have (including season 1) are double sided, Space Above and Beyond is double sided, The Lone Gunmen is double sided....

Natalie F

Stunt Coordinator
Good to hear these are coming out so fast. Hopefully they'll release the movies as well, and maybe finally get that last movie made. :emoji_thumbsup:

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
This is good news since it probably means Season 4 and the two movies will be released on DVD.

It's okay that they are on double-sided discs, there is no "play all" feature, and the extras are minimal. The audio and video are good (anamorphic widescreen is heaven), the price is right (none of this overinflated-SRP-for-Star Trek-like practices), and there is no fluff (like overly-animated menus).

The rate of release means the show is selling good and hopefully the PTB (also a Season 3 episode title) will give the green light to another movie and hopefully the answers we've all been waiting for.

Thank you again, Fox Home Video.
-

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
Yeah, I was glad to see season 2 in widescreen and laughed at the audio commentary with Michael T. Weiss and Andrea Parker (and the show's creators) on it (the most funny audio commentary I have ever heard). I hope they did another track together for one of the season 3 episodes (and hopefully they can get Patrick Bauchau for one of the episode commentaries too).

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
The audio commentary was funny. Not too informative but the camaraderie is still there. I was waiting for someone to say, "Why is everyone still standing there when Sydney yelled, 'Bomb!'" and sure enough, someone did (not those exact words but similar)! The self-deprecating humor is refreshing. Sometimes it's fun to just hear everyone shoot the breeze instead of getting technical but it's a matter of taste.
-

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the crossovers with The Profiler that some people were regretting not having. I would highly recommend NOT seeing the Profiler part of these crossovers. When I originally saw them on TV I was quite satisfied with the ending as presented on The Pretender. Then, the episode on The Profiler completely twisted things around and made me regret having watched it at all.

Neil

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Neil, I think that's because they filmed a conclusion to the Pretender episodes so they could air in syndication, and that's likely what you saw. They tied up the story so it would make sense. Who knows which version we'll get on the DVDs.

Gord

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I saw the Pretender episodes on their first run on NBC. Yes, they were filmed so they made sense in syndication. I just really, really, disliked what happened in the "conclusion" on The Profiler and do not recommend that anyone watch those.

Neil

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
TV Shows on DVD reports Season 3 being released on February 14. Parker graces the cover (albeit in the background) and Jarod looks eerily like a mannequin. Hopefully Season 4 will include Sydney and Broots on the cover although a cover hardly matters when it's the show that matters (and being anamorphic widescreen).
-

Natalie F

Stunt Coordinator
Ha! He does look kind of weird. I don't like that the colour is so similar to S2, but like you said, for as cheap as it comes, who cares.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I like that the Season 3 menu graphics are a bit more artistic although the font is a bit hard to read when it's in an outline format.

I am hoping that the TV movies will be released on DVD and an announcement that another movie to wrap up the series will be forthcoming.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
TV Shows on DVD reports Season 4 comes out on 7/18/06. Great news.

Greater news is that the TV movies will be released, according to Fox, but there is nothing on their schedule yet. Please, Fox, release both movies together as a double-feature. A two-disc set.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
The original version of the cover (left) is not the one actually used. Several review and TV websites still show this older version. Now it's Jarod in the foreground kneeling and only a blurred image of supposedly Ms. Parker far in the background. A cooler looking cover in my opinion, although Ms. Parker, Sydney, and Broots got the shaft.

1st image courtesy of DVD Talk; 2nd image courtesy of DVD Empire.

Now ... release the two movies on DVD in one set rather than two separate sets to promote the hopefully third and last (?) movie that the creator mentions in one of the featurettes as being possibly made in the near future. His exact word was "imminent." Yeah!

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
According to TVShowsonDVD.com the two TV movies will be out on March 13, 2007!

The strange thing is that The Pretender 2001 will be 4:3 and it was obviously released after the series was over (the latter part of the series was anamorphic 16:9) whereas The Pretender: Island of the Haunted will be 16:9 (no mention of anamorphic, but I'm assuming and hoping). Did the director shoot TP2001 4:3?

Maybe the DVD will be anamorphic "4:3" where I can view the 4:3 image in progressive scan without it being stretched horizontally like some DVD extras are shot in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks