What's new

The Prestige HD DVD - $38 US shipped from amazon.co.uk (1 Viewer)

Pete T C

Second Unit
A bit pricey, but HD DVD fans can now preorder this UK Warner Bros title for $38 US shipped from amazon.co.uk:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...921256-5247654

Since its Warner, expect pristine VC-1 video and high quality audio on an HD30 disc. The USA version from Disney featured AVC on a BD50, so it should be an interesting head-to-head!

Note that this release will work great on all HD DVD players as it is 1080p24 and not region coded.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Did anyone import this title from the UK? This was a fantastic film and I am thinking of having my brother back home send me over a copy but wanted to see if there were any reviews/impressions of this UK version?

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
The reviews seem to indicate a tie in terms of picture quality but the BD wins hands down in terms of audio. The BD has 24-bit uncompressed PCM while the HD-DVD has DD+ at the bitrate of 640kbps.

I looked at the screen shots and they looked identical to me.

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator
I received my copy from xploitedcinema last week. Fantastic PQ on this title, much like the BD I'd assume (which got stellar reviews). And an excellent film as well. Highly recommended!

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I received my copy last Saturday.

It only took 5 days for me to receive it. I haven't watched it yet so it's good to hear that the picture quality matches the domestic BD.

Audio quality - well, I'm not as anal as some when it comes to this, but for now I can only get DTS 1.5 mbps through my A2 since my NAD receiver isn't HDMI equipped.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Good to know - I have placed my order with my brother :) - Just need to sit back and wait now !!!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

I've got a NAD reciever too-5 years old now-that I don't plan on upgrading until it goes kaput. I had never even heard of the brand before, but a local store loaned me a NAD reciever because it had the power to drive a pair of Magneplanars I was auditioning at the time. Never got the Mags, but I was so impressed with the NAD that I ended up pre ordering the then latest model.
Still love it.

The audio for the Prestige HD DVD sounded just fine to me (I'm not a real picky audiophile). Picture looked great in a cursory glance and should be even better next time I actually sit down to watch it since I had the player set for 720p for the last few days and never even realized it.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Just sampled the video - VERY good.
Plus extras are the SAME as DVD, unlike The Holiday from Universal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks