The Practice - And then there were three...

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by ThomasC, May 20, 2003.

1. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

No money, no money, no money...

3. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Might as well not bring it back. I wonder how they are going to explain that much turnover at the office?

Jason

4. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I can understand shaking up the cast a bit, but seems overboard. I wish they'd at least kept Marla Sokloff. As it is, they've lost all their major sex-appeal actors, which will make it hard to keep drawing in viewers.

5. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I'm guessing that Jessica Capshaw will be around along with Chyler Leigh. That's plenty of sex appeal. Still, it will be interesting if they can revitalize the series.

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Is it time to also bring in the other 2 from Girls Club (Gretchen Mol and Kathleen Robertson)?

7. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Actually, according to CNN, Chyler won't be back. But Jessica will. Ah well...

8. Jim Douglas

Jim Douglas Second Unit

9. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

Frankly, I think this could be great for the show. Because the characters had been around for so long, and were fairly experienced in regards to law cases, Kelly & Co was running out of things to do with them.

What I'd really like to seem them do is keep the firm small - maybe only one more person added. Right now, with the exits, we have Eugene, Ellenor, Jimmy and Jamie. That's 4 people, a lot to keep stories lines active.

My biggest hope is that they'll just forget about the Eugene/Jamie romance, and hope the audience does too. I love both characters, but they have ZERO chemistry together. It just doesn't work.

10. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

I don't think it will be too hard to explain the exits. Bobby already quit the firm to start his own practice. It wouldn't surprise me if Lucy went with him to be his secretary. With Bobby out of the mix, no need to focus on Lindsay's firm. And Helen Gamble resigns after gettign frustrated with the DA. All that in the first episode.

I will continue to watch the first couple of episodes to see how the new cast works together.

Todd

11. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The only real thing they can't explain easily would be Lisa Gay Hamilton's exit. The rest could be explained as Todd just said.

12. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

14. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Chyler's been on "The Practice"? Why doesn't somebody TELL me these things?!?! Argh! [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

I forgot about Rebecca.

Todd

16. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

17. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

I must admit that i'm shocked by the cast changes (mostly there being so many of them). After thinking about them it's becoming a little more clear to me.

The past couple seasons the character of Bobby has become boring! Honestly can you say that he's been interesting at all this past season? If his character had been the type of bedrock (think Sipowitz, Dr.Carter) then I can see how the different characters could bounce off against him. Maybe they've done all they can with Bobby personally and professionally? As far as Lindsey is concerned, they really butchered her character this year! In watching the show I said to myself "what the heck is going on with Lindsey"? I truly think the writers back themselves into a corner and couldn't get out of it. Without Bobby negates the need for Rebecca as those two are intertwined together. I wouldn't have expected her to stay around with Bobby's exit. As for Lucy, her character was great the first season she appeared but they strangely tamed her character thus negating the need for her. Claire? Well without Lindsey there's no need for Claire!

What surprises me most is the exit of Helen's character!! I think that the show improved most when they added her character the second season! A strong DA character provides a perfect counterpoint to firm and I really wonder how well they'll do in replacing her character (if the have a DA at all)! I personally am still missing Richard Bey!

As for the remaining cast I think they can survive but not without a few concerns! I do think that Eugene can make an effective leader of the firm. I think his character has been a very effective one (if not under appreciated one). I see great potential in exploiting Eugene's character! Jamie I really like!! I think there's a lot you can do with her character!! We only scratched the surface of her this season and we should discover lots more. Eleanor, I wonder about? This character has basically been ignored since she had her child. I really wonder if she hasn't run her course? Jimmy too!! Have we exploited all the "Jimmy the Grunt" stories? We'll have to see!

Personally i'm in favor of cast changes! As a long time LAW & ORDER fan i'm used to them and can honestly say that they've helped keep the show fresh and interesting! I think that shows like L&O, NYPD BLUE and ER have proved that the audience will continue to tune in if presented with fresh, interesting characters. However, I do think this is too much of an overhaul! This reminds me of Kelley's purge on CHICAGO HOPE! Though that show has some interesting adds (Carla Gugino's character and James Garner's recurring role) they kept the most boring character (Dr. Shutt) and lost a great character in Dr. Austin to bring back Geiger!! Overall that purge didn't work and I'm wondering if it will be the same this year?

I'll definitely tune in the first few episodes out of curiosity but will quickly disappear if it heads south!! Hopefully it will right itself as the show quickly!!

18. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    Just when I was thinking of giving up, the addition of James Spader makes this show a "MUST SEE" for me. [​IMG]

19. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

Taken from Yahoo News:

20. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    This is one of the shows which I repeatedly considered dropping during the last couple of seasons. I DID stick with it though. With this mass exodus, I fully expected to finally give up, but James Spader equals a definite "must see" for me. [​IMG]