"The Power of Myth" - Mini Review

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kenneth, Oct 11, 2001.

1. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

Jul 31, 1997
    I am still working my way through this excellent 6 hour series of interviews by Bill Moyers of Joseph Campbell but I thought I would drop a few remarks. I have loved this 6 part series since I first saw it on PBS. Joseph Campbell is such a dynamic speaker and if you have even a passing knowledge or interest in mythology then this is a panacea of information in this area. The series is excellent as an informational source but also has many profound elements of self determination and discovery. Highly recommended.
    The video quality is excellent so far and is presented in its original 4:3 ratio. The audio is 1.0 mono. There are no subtitles but there are English close captions. The extras include weblinks, a 14 minute interview with George Lucas by Bill Moyers (Joseph Campbell was one of Lucas' mentors), biographies and bibliographies of both Moyers and Campbell, and an image gallery containing some of the excellent images used during the interviews.
    If you have been waiting for this series on DVD I give it my highest recommendation.
  2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Dec 11, 2000
    Kenneth, it sounds good. I just wish I could fit it into my budget... [​IMG]
    He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
    -- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain