What's new

"The Poseidon Adventure" DVD re-issue coming? (1 Viewer)

Steve JD

Stunt Coordinator
LOL !!!

Poor Carol, Stella Stevens nearly ruptured her right eardrum when yelling "Shup uuuup!!" when water starts pouring out of the galley.

It was a fine performance though, and I think her most memorable film role. You'd swear she really is a terrified pop singer in shock.

Dennis H

Auditioning
Now that I think of it, most performances are very good.
I agree - it wasn't until years later that I realized what a strong performance Ernest Borgnine gave. I think what sets POSEIDON (and to a lesser extent, INFERNO) apart from other disaster films is the quality of the acting. Just look at how wretched the performances are in later Allen films by such otherwise strong actors - Michael Caine, Sally Field, Paul Newman and even Henry Fonda! No doubt the fact that Allen directed those films played an important part - he was a master showman but directing actors was definitely not his strong suit.

Steve JD

Stunt Coordinator
I can't wait to listen to the Lynley-Stevens-Martin commentary! I think we are in for lots of funny and entertaining annecdotes.

I haven't heard anything yet aside from rumours, but I hope Warner releases Beyond the Poseidon Adventure on DVD to coincide with the remake this spring.

Yes, it's a terrible film, ...but I love it!

Tim RP

Stunt Coordinator
To me Hackman's performance was based on his character being a new age fire and brimstone type preacher. From his decktop sermon and conversation with his older colleague he seems to be the 'action man of God'. Hence his reaction to the situation he finds himself in and his method of dealing with his flock...
I have great affection for both Poseidon and Inferno. Maybe not superb films but definitely great movies. I find Earthquake to be vastly inferior and for me only has the wonderful John Williams theme going for it.
Any way both guaranteed purchases. It has to happen to everyone I guess but I relented and only just bought Inferno before Christmas :rolleyes:. I'll keep hold of it though as it's a R2 Warner edition and has a complete version of the truly superb poster artwork - unlike the obscured version coming from Fox. I'll just borrow the nitpick hat from Joe on the apes thread but it's a shame Fox had to slap a big font in the middle of the box on both these titles. They make the effort of going original and then spoil it. Particularly Inferno which apart from the McGinnis, McCarthy and Peak Bonds is my favourite poster art.

Steve JD

Stunt Coordinator
I find the Poseidon special edition cover a bit odd.

They should have kept the gushing water blue like the original poster. This makes it look like an explosion of fire, not water...

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
there has not been any announcement yet if this new Poseidon Adventure DVD will have true stereo, fake stereo, or mono
Doesn't look too good. It's announced (DVDTimes) that it's stereo but Fox often say this for what is essentially two channel mono. Towering Inferno, on the other hand, is stated as being in 4.00 surround.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
there has not been any announcement yet if this new Poseidon Adventure DVD will have true stereo, fake stereo, or mono
Doesn't look too good. It's announced (DVDTimes) as being in stereo but Fox often say "stereo" for what are essentially two track mono tracks. On the other hand, Towering Inferno is stated to be 4.00 surround.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Both Poseidon and Inferno will be 2-Disc packages, with a minimum of 10 featurettes each! (Of course, I suppose each of these might be just 2 or 3 minutes long...but still, sounds pretty comprehensive.)
Poseidon will have 12 total featurettes, including a vintage 1972 one and an "interactive" featurette of some kind on the first disc; while Inferno is listed for ten featurettes (and lots of other stuff too, including 19 "Extended & Deleted Scenes").
I'm hoping the behind-the-scenes footage of the tank-blowing finale in "Inferno" is included someplace in that wealth of bonus stuff.
Poseidon's Commentary Track will include Pamela Sue Martin, which is very nice indeed. :) :emoji_thumbsup:
Pamela-Sue-Martin--C10045321.jpeg

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...er-flicks.html

Tim RP

Stunt Coordinator
I'm hoping the behind-the-scenes footage of the tank-blowing finale in "Inferno" is included someplace in that wealth of bonus stuff.
Dare I say it, it's pretty much guaranteed to be as a) it's one of the most dramatic from an sfx point of view and b) at least on British television it's only clips from this sequence they ever show. The Channel 4 doc Hell Underwater, Fire in the Sky used it and a couple of other small snippets. Likewise they used some vintage behind the scenes stuff from Poseidon which looks like it's made it to the SE.

Excellent job Fox and thanks!!

Steve JD

Stunt Coordinator
About the sound mix, I wouldn't worry just yet about the announcement. When a Fox stereo mix is fake-stereo, they usually announce both "english stereo" and "english mono".

In this case, they only mention "english stereo".

A new 4.0 true-stereo track would be awesome of course, but I'll take the old 2.0 true-stereo mixdown heard on the first LaserDisc over mono (I was so pissed when the first dvd came out in mono that I didn't even buy it!)

Even Fox's packaging is often wrong let alone their announcements. You often see "English Dolby Surround" or "English Stereo" on the back of the cover, you pop the dvd in the machine, and it's discrete 4.0

Steve JD

Stunt Coordinator
For those who care about the dreadful 1979 sequel BEYOND THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE, there is info on the May DVD release at:
http://www.onvideo.org/calendar/dvd_06e.htm
FEATURES:
Vintage featurette
Behind The Scenes
Disaster movies trailer gallery.
They don't mention if it's the extended cut though.
Yup, it's dumb, it makes no sense as a sequel, but it still has lots of fans...

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
well, then a 2 disc Special Edition of Allen's THE LOST WORLD (1960) cant be far behind.

Lets see..... Commentary from David Hedison, Jill st.John, Ferdinando Lamas-the rest must be dead by now...

And how they managed to get those monitor lizards to stay in their 'suits' while fighting would be quite interesting...;

I loved this film as a kid.

And let us take a moment ot honor the memory of LB ABBOTT, FOX's chief effects man who, when given the budget did some pretty good Specail Effects-no a hint of CGI or tracking cameras back then.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks