What's new

The Polar Express (1 Viewer)

Any word on when The Polar Express is coming to DVD? I saw the film at an IMAX and it was breathtaking. Very nicely done! I am looking forward to seeing it on DVD and adding it to my collection. :)

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
It's one of the first films Warner says will hit HD-DVD in fourth quarter 04.

Naturally the IMAX 3-D will no longer be there to thrill you, but word is that the film will return to IMAX 3-D theaters around the Holidays. Actually, it is still playing to sold out crowds in many cities, including Las Vegas.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately it won't be released soon enough. We took our 4 year old son to see it last year, and he immediately wanted the dvd for Xmas. We explained that it wasn't out yet, but that we'd get it for his Birthday (coming up in June). When it's not available then, he's going to be quite upset. I sure as hell hope it's out by next Xmas (on regular dvd, since I won't be buying any other format until that format war is over).

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I understand, but it's hard to get a 4 year old to patiently wait a whole year for the dvd. He still "plays Polar Express" nearly every day, and it's been a couple of months since we saw the film. :)

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
It's been nearly a month, is there any news on a DVD release of The Polar Express? The 3D IMAX version hasn't hit closer than 150 miles, I'd love to see it.

Oh, and George, it's lovely to hear about how the movie has infectiously permeated his imagination. A miracle of universality.

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator
I'd say it'll be a Novemeber 2005 release. If so, expect an announcement late summer.

Christian

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

As others have opined, don't expect this one until the holiday season of 2005. Christmas movies hardly ever hit DVD any other time of year - other than George's kid :D there's not nearly as much of a market for them during other periods...

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
And he's been complaining that some of the details of the film have gotten fuzzy. :)

It's actually still playing at the IMAX through this weekend, so I think we'll take him one last time to see it, to hold him over til Xmas.

kevin_asai

Stunt Coordinator
Still no official announcement yet? I thought Polar Express was entertaining when I caught it in the theater.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I hope that film gets rereleased into IMAX theaters every holiday season. I don't consider Christmas to be my holiday, but it's a fine piece of filmmaking that's incredibly inspiring. I'm in my twenties and I still dragged my parents to see it - some movies are just magical like that.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Josh : Yes, the 3D version was just *that* much better, and I know I'd make the journey to see it again at the time of year. A four star film, that much better. The comparitive smash hit acceptance of The Polar Express 3D bodes well for big-budget 3D movies in the future (and eventual HT implications).

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I sure hope Dreamworks don't drop the ball on including a dts track on this one. I saw it on Imax and it was amazing!
Especially the sound of the steam locomotive.
The bass should be insane on our HT's !

C'mon DWorks, do this one right okay?

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
It's a Warner Bros./Castle Rock movie. Hence, don't expect DTS, instead, a top-notch 448 Dolby. (I'm rarely disappointed with Warner's DD mixes, taking the recent Matrix set as yardstick.)

Needless to say though, the sound should be exemplary, both Sound Mixing and Sound Editing Oscar nominations.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Scott, thanks for correcting me on the studio.
However, I just checked on the polar express site and we still may be in luck on the dts track. It appear that this one is also a CastleRock entertainment production as well! :) So hopefully we will see that DTS track afterall.
click this link and see the logo for castlerock.

http://polarexpressmovie.warnerbros.com/

Later!!
Troy

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I think you missed Scott's point: Castle Rock movies released through Warner don't include DTS tracks. Morgan Creek movies released through WB have included DTS, though - Exorcist: The Beginning being the most recent example. Don't think that's been the case for Castle Rock, though...

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Morgan Creek is who I was thinking of when I said CastleRock. I get the two confused.

Anyway, I sure wished that a studio that supported DTS would have released this film so we could possibly get DTS on the DVD. But I'm sure the DD track will sound amazing no less.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

The 3-D version brought in 35% of the total boxoffice even though only 2% of the theatres were IMAX 3-D theatres.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks