What's new

3D The Polar Express Presented in 3-D on both DVD and Blu-ray Disc on 10/28 (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I'm STILL waiting to see what those "3-D Ready" stickers on DLP TVs mean. Putting out anything in the red/blue format right now is a huge step backwards.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
"A 3-D technology that doesn't require glasses"? Why does this remind me of the color television broadcasting experiments from the 1960s that didn't require a color TV set to watch? (Yes, you can produce the sensation of color with monochrome television or film, but the effect is not completely satisfactory, and varies from person to person — some people cannot see it at all, although colorblind people often can.)

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Well the 3-D effect did NOT work well for me at all. I'm running an Optoma HD70 720p DLP projector via PS3 HDMI to a 106" screen, which i sit about 10 feet from.

I don't know if it's the screen size or the glasses, but everything had a red/blue shimmer to it. The glasses seemed waaay too small, not in that they didnt fit, but the actual size of the lenses seemed tiny and I could see the cardboard frames around the lenses while wearing them, and it didn't feel like the red/blue lenses "merged" into a single field of view while wearing them.

The result was terrible and I couldn't watch more than 5 minutes before getting eye strain. I've seen many 3-D movies in theater/IMAX without this problem, so I don't think it's just my eyes having a problem.

Thank goodness the 2-D version is included on the disc.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

We have had mixed reviews for the other two Blu-ray 3-D films - Hannah Montana and Journey to the Center of the Earth. Some hate the 3-D and others say it is fantastic - well, for Journey to the Center of the Earth. Journey uses the green/red instead of the red/blue glasses so, maybe that has something to do with it.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I found that the POLAR EXPRESS Blu-ray 3-D experience was very much less satisfying than that of JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH. The glasses are not compatible. For one movie, the red lens is for the left eye, for the other, the right eye. POLAR EXPRESS required a HUGE amount of screwing with contrast, brightness, and tint levels before it even began to tone down the red/blue image split. About 20% of the shots looked quite superlative, but the rest ran from mediocre to outright unwatchable. 100 minutes of this is hard to take... plus, of course, the color is drained right out of it. While the later is true of JOURNEY also, the 3-D is exponentially better than that of EXPRESS. There are only a few completely terrible shots, and some (blowing the dandelion seeds toward the audience) are quite extraordinary. The rest is very acceptable. If the studios can give us more 3-D of this quality, I would buy them, even if anaglyph, at least until I can replace them with sequential copies once I have the needed equipment.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
polar express can be enjoyed with or without 3D just like beowulf, zemeckis in both cases. journey is a film that is not as enjoyable without 3-D. it's a film that almost REQUIRES 3-D =P. otherwise, it's pretty dull.

i wish polarized technology was built into BD spec or upgraded (profile 3.0?). i've seen most of the real3D polarized movies and they retain the color and clarity of all of the films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks