What's new

The Pianist...Canadian vs American releases (1 Viewer)

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
I might be missing something, but why wouldn't it be worth it to return it? I'm thinking about returning mine, wouldn't I only be out return shipping?

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I bought the US version yesterday and the transfer is very nice.

Terrible cover art, no insert but a really excellent film :emoji_thumbsup:

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I might be missing something, but why wouldn't it be worth it to return it? I'm thinking about returning mine, wouldn't I only be out return shipping?
Yes, you're right. My only hesitation is from a laziness standpoint (i.e. going through the trouble to send it back). Also, I like the artwork much better on the Canadian version (what was Universal thinking?!?)and it does have some more extras, so part of me was considering kind of "mixing and matching" the two versions, so to speak. It would definitely make more financial sense to return it unopened, though, because ultimately all I really care about is the picture quality, and it appears as though the Universal edition wins that one hands-down.

BoAnd

Auditioning
I live in Sweden, and here we have PAL. So I wonder, if I buy the Canadian version and watch it on my TV, will I still see the "ghost effects" caused by the PAL conversion?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
TVA is definitely now in first place on my distributor shitlist, narrowly edging out AA...thanks for the reminder about Brotherhood of the Wolf...TVA is 0 for 2 with me when it comes to video quality. I really want to keep the 3-disc set for the packaging, maybe stick the U.S. disc in it in place of the Can. disc 1, but I really don't want TVA to have any of my money. Why do they think sticking a CD and a few cheap extras in a nice case compensates for lousy PQ in the feature? It's a bloody DVD, we're buying it for the picture... Problem is, most of the public won't ever know what they're missing.

For BoAnd, I say "yes". The video has been processed to NTSC before going on the disc...it can't be "undone" now.

Ian Currie

Stunt Coordinator
I'll bet you could get a new cover from www.dvdcoverart.com

I'm in Canada and I order covers from them often - especially on Paramount titles where the Canadian version has bilingual packaging (but everything inside is exactly the same as the U.S. version).

Joseph_mx

Stunt Coordinator
Joel like I said before, No insert in the U.S. edition but it is the best option talking about video and audio quality. ;)

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Joseph. I feel vindicated having held out for my US version, which after my rebate ($4) was had for only $13.39 from Costco :D .

Joel

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
The 3-disc Brotherhood of the Wolf has more to fit on the disc than the US version. And it only looks marginally worse.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
I've changed this post, because I want to get ahold of TVA, ask them about the transfer. However, I cannot find any sort of customer service e-mail or phone number. Their website is no help, as it only has a link to an upcoming movie release. So the question is, does anybody know how to obtain that phone number. As I am still curious to ask them about my "faulty" DVD.

Secondly, could somebody with the US version post some screenshots of the film. Preferably ones similar to the Canadian screenshots posted in this thread. I want to see the difference in quality.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
:D :D Yeah, trying to get ahold of TVA is like trying to get ahold of AA, who removed the customer-oriented part of their web site quite a while ago...hardly surprising, fits perfectly with their attitude. I had no luck re TVA contact either, that's why I said the best I could do for satisfaction is return my package as late as possible. I'm not wasting money on a stamp! But do let us know *for sure* if you come up with a contact.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
TVA have know idea how to do DVD's. These guys are responsible for releasing the Art of War without the ability to down convert to 4x3. So in other words, anyone watching this on a 4X3 TV (with no 16X9 mode) would get a stretched image. It also would not work on Toshiba players at all. The disc was on Canadian shelves for about a year.

Brotherhood of the Wolf looks awful on my Sony Wega, and for me unwatchable. This disc is so maxed out with multiple sound tracks, and a longer cut of the movie, that it's heavily pixilated throughout and thus making the worst edge enhancement look good.

The poor video on The Pianist doesn't surprise me at all and you can just add it to their list of bad product.

Jeff

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Shite! Why didn't I see this thread earlier. My copy from Amazon.ca already shipped...does anyone know if they have a good return policy?

Ian Currie

Stunt Coordinator
Matt,

Amazon.ca ha an excellent return policy. You fill out an online form and mail back the DVD. I've had to do it twice and both times there was no hassle and my credit card was credited.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
HERE is DVDBeaver's review in progress of the TVA DVD with some more screen caps... don't say anything new, but Ole from DVDBasen who sent us the screen caps has already sold his copy.

We will probably do a full comparison with the Universal in the near future..

Regards,

RobD

Second Unit
Thanks Gary, looks like the R1 (American) might be the one (R2 is missing DTS). However if the Film was in Pal orginally (??) the R2 may have a shot at best PQ. Does anyone know if the American is flagged as DTS-ES?

On a kinda related side note thanks for warning others about the Front Row Zulu release, I have that one, by far the worst DVD I own.

DodgyCDN

Auditioning
This information really surprised me as I had absolutely NO problems with my Canadian set at all. I was able to get some screen shots of pretty much the same shots that Paul_Stach had posted earlier in this thread. I viewed it with a Toshiba 50HDX82 Projection widescreen and a SONY DVP 330 player. Then I also tried it on my code-free DAEWOO 9000N player (which is known to be of very "flaky" quality.) No problem. Then again on the DVD of my PC. The pictures are all crisp as if I was watching it again in theater. I got the DVD one week before the release date so I would have been the first one flipping out if I saw anything even close to what Paul_Stach showed us here. I would like to post my screenshots here but I dont know how to do that because they are on my PC, not from a website.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks