What's new

The Partridge Family is coming! (1 Viewer)

Mark To

Supporting Actor
So if the 2 unreleased songs from the pilot are not going to be included on the bonus CD because Columbia couldn't get the rights, then are they going to be replaced in the pilot episode? And if not, then how is it that they are able to get the rights to the songs for the show but not to put out separately? Wouldn't it cost as much, or more, to clear the songs for the DVD?

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
I'm soooo looking forward to this release. Definitely one of the last of my must haves from shows I haven't seen in ages. It will be just like old times when I can sit back and watch Partridge Family and Brady Bunch back-to-back in the comfort of my home. Now, if only Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea would come out, my life would be complete. :D

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
Costco has an unbelievable deal on the complete first season of the Partridge Family. For $19.99 you get the DVDs and a free T-Shirt - Black, good quality, size large with logo and slogan "Come on get happy." T-shirt was also inside the first season of Married with Children for the same price.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
As noted in my review , I was very impressed with the way this set came out. For $20 it is a no brainer. I just hope Sony gets on the bus and moves forward with the rest of the seasons without a year in between each one.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

hear, hear!

i only watched the first three eps in full and i was disappointed with the PQ, especially after Jeffs review- but then scanning thru some later eps, it appears they get better as they go on.
haven't put in the second or third disc yet- although if they were going to go with 3 discs + a 4 song cd, i wish they would have just made it 4 dvds and gave the eps a little more room to breathe.

they could have just included the songs as a dvd bonus over some still photos or something.

still, great price point, great compact packaging, and most importantly- great content.
almost forgot how good the show was, and unlike Brady Bunch (which i also picked up) i haven't seen these shows in syndication to anywhere near the same extent.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
How were you disappointed with the PQ? Any issues I could see were in the original film, not the transfer or compression. Comparing this to other shows on DVD from the same time period, PF looks outstanding.

For that matter, it looks better than the majority of TV DVDs I have seen, regardless of the age.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Yes George, you are correct. I knew that it was wrong when I wrote it, but missed it on reediting.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

first off, all i watched from the set were the first 3 eps plus a few scenes from the Vic Tayback ep on the same disc.
i also watched the two bonus features on the same disc.

in the case of the first 2 shows, i thought the image looked not nearly as vibrant as i was expecting, and it was soft.
fine detail (in hair, in patterns in fabrics, etc) looked to have been filtered down- which would stand to reason if they were going to cram the discs as full as they did.
it was disappointing when i was (foolishly)expecting something on the order of Here's Lucy or Mary Tyler Moore S1- both shows where i would characterize the discs as looking very vibrant and very sharp/detailed- and both are from the same time frame as PF.

however, after i watched the first 2 shows i went and watched the bonus features which contained clips from further on down in the season and those clips did look much better- brighter colors, finer detail etc.
and, interestingly, the clips used from the pilot looked just as bland as it did as a 'feature' which would lead me to believe that, as you said, the issue may have more to do with the original source than the encoding or transfer.

if i get a chance to pull these out tonight i will go thru more episodes just to satisfy my curiousity about PQ, but i would rate the first 2 shows as looking fairly mediocre.

in comparision (to just those two eps) i would say the widely cat-called Night Gallery set looked considerably better.
everytime i pull that set out i become infuriated because it looks better than about 90% of the vintage tv product i own
(much better than Dallas, better encoding than Have Gun Will Travel, as good if not better than MASH, way better than something like Good Times, etc...)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Um, no. :b

Interesting, Paul. I look forward to your thoughts on the rest of the set. As I stated in the review, I think this looks great. Perhaps it isn't as vibrant as it could be, but it is by no means faded, and the saturation looks fine to me. The softness looks natural, I wouldn't say the image is lacking in detail or looks filtered. The patterns and textures in the clothing are something that typically results in moire, but they are very well defined, with plenty of detail.

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator
Just finished watching all the episodes and the last one with Bobby Sherman is edited. The tag scene is missing. Makes me wonder if anything else is missing. Also why can't the leave the Screen Gems logo on the episodes the add the rotten Sony logo at the end. I have some VHS tapes that were sold of this series a while back and they are not edited and have the Screen Gems logo on them. That might be picky but what if the Filmways logo was missing off the Beverly Hillbillies or Mr Ed or Green Acres is make it part of the show and part of the era that they were made. I also noticed Warner left the Lorimar logo off the Waltons but at least they did not slap there logo on the end. MGM puts there logo all over but at least keep the original logos on the show end titles they put out.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

i'm making my way slowly thru this one (to savour it since i don't know how long it will be before we see a second season) and as i get further in i find myself agreeing more and more with your review of it, Jeff.
any complaints i have with it seem to be clearly source related and those seem to be confined primarily to the pilot and maybe second ep.
glad i was wrong :)

i'm really enjoying this one and a second season can't get here fast enough

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

I agree, I hope Sony pulls together more seasons this year, like Paramount is doing with Brady Bunch, another series I can't quite understand why I am so enthusiastic about getting.

Richie C.

Stunt Coordinator
I think the episode with the feminist rally is edited. Keith's militant girlfriend Tina suddenly appears and they discover that Keith has agreed to have the family perform at the rally...but I seem to recall an earlier scene showing him agreeing to it. Isn't there a scene missing from the beginning??

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I was wondering if the Bewitched DVD preview on the set is the same one as is shown over at the Video Detective website?

I would love it if someone could confirm this....

Also, what type of packaging does the PF come in? Individual slip cases? Or the fold out box?

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark

I loaded the discs into my PC and the Screen Gems Logo exists on each disc, but has been left as "Unreferenced material," which explains why the Sony logo causes my sound to cut out for a second -- it's been "bridged" or whatever you call it.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

I too played the discs on my PC and also noticed the Screen Gems logo is on there under "unreferenced material". However, there doesn't seem to be a way to play it. Could this be some kind of Easter Egg we're not aware of? Has anyone been able to play the Screen Gems logo ending on their discs? If so, how?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks