The Outer Limits is turning 50....

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Craig Beam, Sep 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    ... and still no news of a blu-ray release? COME ON. :angry:

[​IMG]

2. Gary16

Gary16 Supporting Actor

Gary
    I don't believe the episodes have ever been remastered since the first releases on VHS and laserdisc.

3. deepsky4565

deepsky4565 Extra

Daniel Bakken
    I would love this on blu!

ljgranberry likes this.
  4. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    I own The Outer Limits three times (once on VHS and twice on DVD). Although I own the double-sided discs (North American release), I really wanted it on single-sided discs as this series is among my top three all-time favorite television shows. It was a poster on this Forum who alerted me to the British release on single-sided discs, which I was only too happy to purchase. I wonder if a blu-ray release could come from them as well?

5. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    God, I feel old. But I can still remember being a kid waiting for Friday nights to see this show during it's first broadcast run, and then having nightmares later that night... and then couldn't wait to have them again next week. Watching the show later and older, you appreciate the stories, acting, writing and especially the awesome cinematography, if not the 'monster' or 'bear' of the week. I can only surmise some rights issues (including a current owner who doesn't care) are holding up why this isn't in Blu-ray yet since it obviously has a rabid cult following almost, if not up to, "The Twilight Zone," "The Prisoner," "Star Trek," "Space 1999" and other sci-fi shows already released on BD.I've posted this link before, but here's a great website that reviews every episode in depth, and with illuminating commentary on posts from noted science fiction writers: http://wearecontrollingtransmission.blogspot.com/Hey, this is my 1,000th post! Do I earn a stripe? I saved it for this show, also one of my top 3 ever.

Brent Reid and Ockeghem like this.
  6. Gary16

Gary16 Supporting Actor

Gary
    Unless you live in a city that aired the program on a delay, "The Outer Limits" aired on Monday nights on ABC (7:30 PM) for the first season and then on Saturday nights at 7:30 PM for the second season.

7. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Who owns the rights? Is it MGM still? They've gotten over their bankruptcy issues, no?Scott, I have the laserdiscs of TOL still! A blu ray release is definitely in order!

8. Gary16

Gary16 Supporting Actor

Gary
    I have the individual VHS tape releases, I have the laserdisc boxed sets, and I have every U.S. DVD release. Blu-ray would be great but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.

9. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Hollywoodaholic,I issued you two stripes (one for your 1,000th post and one for the content of the post itself). :)Nelson,I actually never owned the laserdiscs. That's great. :)

10. Hollywoodaholic

Wayne
    Right, Saturday, second season. Probably confused it with "Star Trek" at 10 p.m. Fridays. Another reminder of how old the brain is. But I remember my best friend used to come over for sleepovers to watch, so it was a night we could stay up late after.

11. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

My folks would often drive (about 40 miles) over to a work friends place on Saturdays (they had three kids around my age, so of course we hung out together) and would spend the night. One of the highlights of the day was watching The Outer Limits on Saturday evening. We (the kids) were all pretty young so the 'bear' would invariably scare the heck out of us. Good times.

As I posted before, a pristine version of The Outer Limits on Blu-Ray is my number one wish list title/series.

(I still have my Laserdisc sets courtesy of Ebay, and the original U.S. DVD release.)

- Walter.

Ockeghem likes this.
  12. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    You can put me down for a blu-ray edition of the Outer Limits as well. No more double-sided discs!

13. Hollywoodaholic

Wayne
    Recently found these pages from a "The Outer Limits" fanzine I wrote, drew (from the bubble gum cards as models) and put together when I was in Junior High School. It's probably safer to share it here than it would have been back in the 8th grade before geeks got good.

Outer Limits mag story.png
    Outer Limits mag story 2.png
    Outer Limits mag story 3.png
    Architects of Fear drawing.png

Brent Reid, Ockeghem and TravisR like this.
  14. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Nicely done.

Another Outer Limits memory... Collecting the Topps Outer Limits cards back in my childhood. I didn't collect the entire set, and I have no idea what ever became of them as I know they did not survive my childhood, but I remember being creeped out by the monsters on the cards.

- Walter.

15. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Screenwriter

Robert
    IIRC, Fox is responsible for the MGM releases.

So, good luck with Blu.

Fox distribution deal aside, Outer Limits would be great on Blu, with a nice new remastering.

16. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Hollywood,Fantastic fanzine! Very nicely done. :)

17. Nelson Au

You did that fanzine in junior high? That's great stuff there!

18. Nelson Au

A blu ray with not only great mastering, but with audio commentaries as David Schow did for The Twilight Zone blu ray sets. Martin Landau would be great to have to hear his experiences. Robert Culp and Arlene Martel, Grace Lee Whitney and as many of the actors as possible. But this is just a dream of course. The DVD's don't look too bad, even a minor effort would be great.

19. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    I'd love to see the recently unearthed Stefano/Landau collaboration as a bonus, as long as we are making our dream set.

20. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Cinematographer

When I was a kid, watching this show, my dream was to own the episodes somehow. Then, when I got my first VCR in 1980, it was the first show I ever recorded.

Ockeghem likes this.