What's new

The "Out of Order" Thread (1 Viewer)

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Patrick, Jodee, et al who have criticized me for not watching the show...

As I stated in the outset, I was judging this show upon advertising, which made this seem like Friends with sex, lent no words to plot nor the surroundings of the statements... instead it glamorized the sexual content and infidelity. If you have heard the ads I am refering to, you would know exactly what I mean.

I meant no disservice to the show, and honestly wanted to find out if they played the show in the same manner as the advertising.
Whether you agree or disagree with the non-monogamous attitudes of the main characters in a show, it's doing a good job exploring how infidelity happens, and the ramifications of it. So, it's not just about happy-go-lucky people with infidelity burned into their hearts, but rather it delves into what makes a person do what they do, even if they know better, and were even part of the fallout from their parents' experiences.
That is exactly what I wanted to hear, thank you, Patrick. It would make an interesting study to see if the advertising for the show (and if it is even pertinant on a pay-channel) had an affect on viewers interest in tuning in.

David Ortiz

Auditioning
IIRC, one of the scenes was about advertising the movie of Mark's life. It's very similar to how they did the real show.

David

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
If you have heard the ads I am refering to, you would know exactly what I mean.
Justin,
This is The "Out Of Order" Thread. You may be looking for the "Let's discuss a sophisticated mini-series based solely on it's ad campaign" thread.
Speaking for myself I would not be qualified to join the debate because I've only watched the actual program episodes.
You could honestly classify me as "ignorant" of the ads.
Jim

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
I've finally caught up with my TiVo backlog. Wow! Great show. The next time there's an "underrated actors" poll on the forum, I'll have to throw Eric Stoltz into the mix. He's managed to portray a complex, flawed character without alienating the audience.

I was disappointed to hear that the next episode is the season finale, but when you watch all of the episodes back-to-back, it goes by pretty quickly.

If I was offering a running commentary during my viewing, here are some of the comments that I would have had...

Person on screen: "I love that bear movie. Especially the part where the bear came out of nowhere and attacked that black guy. What's his name."

Me: "Harold Perrineau. Is this guy claiming to be David Mamet?"

Mallory drops her towel

Me: " "

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
What about the earlier bleeping (of a man's name, presumably actor or director), was that in all broadcasts? The guy was in some kind of beekeeper suit or something.

Advertisements for TV shows are typically very misleading these days. The point of ads are to titillate, and often the ads are not created with the involvement of the creators of the show.

The show certainly does not portray infidelity or drug use as the solution to anyone's problems.

Looking forward to the next episode, I still like the show. Will Wm. Macy be back?

Justine Bateman collage (adult)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Tonight is a re-run (I think) of Out of Order : Put Me in Order.
Is this a wrap?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The inconclusive ending is probably the best one out of all the possibilities. I actually hope that there is no second season.

The whole cocaine/Teddy revelation was a bit of a letdown for me. Even later, after seeing that Walter was left home alone, the reality just wasn't dark enough for me after all the buildup. Still pretty good, though.

The highlights of the episode for me was seeing how serious and sober Steven was when back in the saddle on the set. Then the irony and humor sets in when you see the kind of movie he is making.

Best lines, possibly ever, of a limited, pay-cable series:

"Oh...your fly...?"

"I am fly...and I'm the bomb!"

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't too pleased by how it wrapped up. I was groaning when Danni showed her cards (and it was sooooo predictable). OTOH, naked Danni was a nice plus!

You have to wonder how William H. Macy feels when his wife Felicity Huffman (Lorna) is getting the business from Eric Stoltz in a pretty uncluttered side shot like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks