What's new

The Original Nancy Drew Movie Mystery Collection from Warner - June 12th (1 Viewer)

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=64149

Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of The Original Nancy Drew Movie Mystery Collection for 12th June 2007. Four classic mysteries never before on Region 1 DVD and featuring the escapades of the feisty teenage detective include Nancy Drew, Detective; Nancy Drew, Reporter; Nancy Drew,Troubleshooter,/i> and Nancy Drew and the Hidden Staircase. The Collection will be presented on 2-Discs and will sell for $24.98 SRP.

In 1930, the Nancy Drew mystery series debuted in print, captivating girls everywhere. In 1938, the teen detective came to the screen in the first of four Warner Bros. films starring the undeniably charming Bonita Granville, fresh from her Oscar-nominated performance in 1936’s These Three. The four films in the collection follow Nancy as she seeks a missing heiress (in Nancy Drew, Detective), investigates a poisoning (Nancy Drew, Reporter), clears a family friend accused of murder (Nancy Drew, Troubleshooter) and faces death in a haunted mansion’s secret tunnel (Nancy Drew and the Hidden Staircase).

The Nancy Drew book series has lasted for generations, selling to date more than 100 million worldwide copies in 22 languages. This summer, star Emma Roberts brings a fresh look to the young sleuth when she stars in Warner Bros.’ new, adventuresome remake premiering nationwide in theatres June 15.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Our friends at Warners continue to release titles I'd never thought I'd see on DVD. This bargain priced collection of the 4 Bonita Granville/Frankie Thomas Nancy Drew B-movies will be a treat. One of which is being rescued from PD status :emoji_thumbsup:

Although kiddie fare, these films are still entertaining today because of Warners production values and the enthusiasm of the young actors coupled with strong supporting casts. Frankie Thomas passed away just last year at the age of 85, but he was just a teenager when these were made.

A big thank you to Warners for releasing this! Does this mean that the Saint/Falcon series isn't far behind :D

Steve

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Wowww, Nancy Drew, I would never expect that one!! Wonderful surpreise. I hope June will the the mont WB restart its huge classic releases schedule.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It is a wonderful surprise. However, the couple of these that I've caught on TCM were in really terrible shape, so I wonder if Warner is going to do any salvage work on them at all. The Nancy Drews and the Deanna Durbin PD film IT'S A DATE rank as the worst presentations I've ever seen on TCM.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Matt, I may be wrong, but I don't think It's a Date is in public domain. WB holds the rights, since MGM bought it when decided to release a remake as a Jane Powell/Ann Sothern vehicle (Nancy Goes to Rio).

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

You're probably right, and that makes perfect sense. It certainly needs a complete restoration, and I doubt it ever gets it.

serenapowell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Serena
This is amazing!! I never expected these B-movies to make it to DVD. Bonita Granville's great. :) Whether she's being hyper & adorable as Nancy Drew, or calmly chilling in "These Three". It's a pity she didn't have a longer career in films, or do more high-profile "A" pictures. I'm so glad the Nancy Drew series will be available on DVD for new viewers to discover! I remembered seeing a few on TV as a kid (early morning filler programming), and years later was excited to see them again on TCM. I never dreamed of DVDs though... Thanks a lot Warner, for the wonderful surprise! :D

P.S. A restoration would be nice - I do remember being saddened by the rough shape they were in. But if it's not possible, at least these films will be preserved digitally, as is... not left to deteriorate further...that's a relief. :)

Edited to delete unnecessary excited babbling.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Matt, I noticed a marked improvement in the last round of Drews shown on TCM so hopefully they've done some work on them. The first time I saw HIDDEN STAIRCASE on TCM the print had noticable nitrate decomposition and one scene had audio but no viewable video because of this. However a more recent airing looked much better.

I wouldn't expect CASABLANCA like restorations, but I'd be surprised if some basic restoration work wasn't done. This is the same company that has held up the BOWERY BOYS films for going on two years searching for better elements.

Incidentally, TCM is running these films in March so that should provide some clue as to what the DVDs may look like.

Steve

Corey

Screenwriter
Well this makes up for that WW2 collection they announced. I'll definately be getting this one. I like when WB surprises us with sets we had no idea were coming. They're already announcing June classics and still no word of those pesky silents or Harlow. It's past early 07!!

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Not that I dont belive that its coming, but where is the source ? I dont see this announced on digital bits, dvd active, or davis dvd .

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Wow, this is probably the biggest shocker of the year. I know Warner releases just about EVERYTHING but I never thought these titles would get released.

I caught the first film in the series on TCM and really enjoyed it so I'll certainly be picking the set up.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
WELL! It's about time! Bonita Granville was great as Nancy Drew. I loved those movies (and The Falcon movies). I've had Nancy Drew: Reporter on DVD since it was released in 2002. Been waiting on the rest. June is just to far away. :)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
That's encouraging if the films have received any kind of clean-up. Of course, I was going to get them anyway, but this hope makes me even more enthusiastic about this release!

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
For those who aren't familiar with the Warner Brothers series, the plots for two of the four films are based on actual Nancy Drew books. "Nancy Drew and the Hidden Staircase" is based on the second book in the series,"The Hidden Staircase" and "Nancy Drew - Detective" is based on the tenth book in the series, "The Password to Larkspur Lane."

John Litel, who played Nancy's father, later went on the play the father in the Henry Aldrich series.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Now that's a series whose release will absolutely stun me. Not that it will ever happen given that it was a Paramount series and has had virtually no exposure in the last quarter century or so. I'd love for TCM to license these so I can finally see this series.

Mr. Litel was one of Warners busiest contract players. I've lost count of the features and short subjects I've seen him in. He even contributes to Warners annual blooper reels :)

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks