What's new

The Oregon Trail - April 13th (1 Viewer)

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
The Oregon Trail is coming to DVD:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Oregon-Trail-The-Complete-Series/13459

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I guess what we're now learning is that *any* Universal western, Timeless will do, no matter how obscure.

I just wish Timeless had a similar regard for some non-Western Universal titles. I enjoyed seeing "Arrest And Trial" come from them and there are a lot of short-lived Universal cop/detective shows that would be nice to see on DVD.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Kirk76

I've never heard of this. Is it any good?
Actually it is pretty good. It just came along at a time when Westerns ceased to be popular.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
I also saw Frontier Circus listed at Amazon. Is that also being put out by Timeless? How many seasons did that last?

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Don't remember this show really, but I'll give it a shot on account of its stars.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I'm planning to get this one and Whispering Smith next month.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Might get this series as at the moment CBS Drama are showing the eighth season of Falcon Crest with Rod Taylor as a recurring cast member.

It's good to see a thread started for this show (and Whispering Smith), but something which annoys me is when they're started in a rush with the URL link posted and not renamed. Instead of "The Oregon Trail: Region 1 DVD release - TVShowsOnDVD.com news article" for example, just the link is posted with a brief note before the link.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
It looks like there's a lost episode that may have not been filmed, so the total number of episodes is 25, not 26. NBC aired 20 of them from May to September 1961, but Whispering Smith was never a hit with viewers, even during the summer months!

Cowboy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Something seems off,the news say "20 one hour episodes running 750 minutes."Never
heard of show but 37.5 minute episodes cant be right.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I don't recall ever seeing The Oregon Trail, but two references are showing that it was cancelled after five weeks in the fall of 1977. IMDB says that a sixth episode was aired on November 23, and that six other episodes were never aired. TV.com lists 13 episodes. The MSRP seems pretty pricey for just 12 or 13 episodes of a show which few people have heard of.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I checked my Universal series catalogue and their are 13 1-hour episodes plus the 2-hour pilot movie.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by Neil Brock

I checked my Universal series catalogue and their are 13 1-hour episodes plus the 2-hour pilot movie.
That makes sense given the announced running time of 750 minutes, figuring 50 minutes each for the 1-hour episodes and 100 minutes for the pilot.

stuartfanning

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stuart Fanning
Yes this will be the first time that people in the US will get the chance to see the entire series. The complete series was shown in the UK!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I personally haven't seen it but I'm being told that they are transfers from 16mm. Draw whatever conclusions you like from that.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Brock

I personally haven't seen it but I'm being told that they are transfers from 16mm. Draw whatever conclusions you like from that.

Thanks for that info, Neil. I was going to purchase that set in the next week or so at whatever price I could get it for, but now I think I'm gonna wait until it's available at a super steep discount.

Gary "trying to support Timeless as much as I can - but I have to draw the line somewhere" O.

stuartfanning

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stuart Fanning
Although I'm really pleased that this has been released, having checked out the DVD's I can confirm that no restoration work appears to have been done on the prints used.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks