What's new

The Ongoing Wal-Mart $4.88/$5.50/$5.88 Bargain Bin Thread (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I picked up the 2 Matrix sequels in widescreen. Reloaded and Revolutions. Very happy to finally have these.
I saw Ultraviolent PG-13 with sexy Milla Jovovick but didn't buy it. ... looks terrible.
I hope I see Fargo in mine. I'll dig down. I haven't seen that little gem in years.
NOTE: Good idea to return those floaters. I stupidly kept Rocky III. It skipped twice and now I can't find the receipt. I had checked it with Emsa diskchecker and it reported no error. :frowning: Recently bought a bunch of used DVDs and checked each of those the same way. Not looking forward to seeing what skips and what doesn't. Is there a better way to check disks?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Radioman970 said:
I saw Ultraviolent PG-13 with sexy Milla Jovovick but didn't buy it. ... looks terrible.
If you mean Ultraviolet then you can look up my thoughts on it in the DVD Reviews Archive.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
Lions is a great movie, glad I found it. I was going to buy it months ago when I last saw it in the bin but didn't have enough cash at the time. The next time I went in, it wasn't there. Fortunately, someone was nice enough to neatly stack most of the DVDs in the bin and Lions was just sitting there
I saw the Matrix movie and War of the Worlds (Spielberg) in there, only saw one copy each, already own them though. Thought people had dumped them in there like they occasionally do with other more expensive movies. I usually price check any movie I take out of the bins to be on the safe side.
I decided not to open Fallen because Wal-mart will only replace the DVD with another copy, if you can't find a replacement, then you're stuck with it. If it'd unopened then you can get a refund.Yesterday I recieved Youngary: Monster From the Deep/Konga Midnite Movies Double Feature from Amazon and it was a floater but I opened that one and checked the disc. It was lightly scratched on one side but it still played, so if Konga plays, I'm going to keep it, though Amazon has a great returns policy. The only way I check replacement discs on sets that freeze on me, is by fast forwarding the entire disc, the FF will stop if the disc is defective. I did this with CHiPs: Season 2 and the Outer Limits: Season 3 OS.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Ron68 said:
.... The only way I check replacement discs on sets that freeze on me, is by fast forwarding the entire disc, the FF will stop if the disc is defective. ....
Thanks. For now on I'll do that too. Rocky V skipped too even though it wasn't a floater. :frowning: I'm watching these on a DVD player prone to problems, an old RCA. It's really good at finding the tiniest little problem.
I was thinking EMSA won't detect an error if if can "get over" the bad part as it's reading the data. That doesn't mean the thing won't skip when it's playing.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
The $5/2-for-$10 bin got a real boost the last few weeks. Lots of relatively newer titles I'm unfamiliar with, plus some oldie goodies. Today I picked up "In the Cut" (rated, 50s shorter apparently) for the usual reason guys probably buy it...I don't know much about it. I think it was mentioned in Knocked Up, LOL...anyway, something made me grab it. Also got some of the Star Trek 2-disc movies last week, the TNG ones. I thought they were pretty good, I have NEVER seen any TNG before. The PQ of First Contact looked rather good to me, compared to the later others and watching a lot of BD lately.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I was looking in the bin today and they've added a lot of horror titles in time for Halloween. I didn't buy anything though, too much to watch already but I should have grabbed the Adventures of Rin Tin Tin serial set that was in there last time I looked, it was gone.

Rob Brown

Agent
I just got back from perusing the dump, er, excuse me, VALUE bin at Wal-Mart, and I was rather surprised to see the large amount of horror titles in it. I picked up HALLOWEEN 4 and HALLOWEEN 5 (the Divamax editions), along with one of the Dimension Extreme titles, NIGHTMARE DETECTIVE. Also sighted in the bin were:

FRIDAY THE 13TH PART II

FRIDAY THE 13TH PART III

FRIDAY THE 13TH PART VI

FRIDAY THE 13TH PART VIII

JASON X

JASON GOES TO HELL

HALLOWEEN II

HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH

A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 2

A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 3

A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 4

A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 5

A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 6: FREDDY'S DEAD

MASTERS OF HORROR: CIGARETTE BURNS

MASTERS OF HORROR: THE FAIR-HAIRED CHILD

MASTERS OF HORROR: PELTS

MASTERS OF HORROR: WE ALL SCREAM FOR ICE CREAM

BURIED ALIVE (Dimension Extreme)

PSYCHO II

All in all, not a bad bunch of DVDs for the $5 price point. And they certainly beat the regular Halloween display of $10, $12, and $13 titles.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's kinda like Wal-Mart is dawning a new "HD Bargain Bin" era.
This was initially discussed in the HD Bargain thread in the HD Software forum. I was in a Wal-Mart last night and can confirm the following titles are on sale for $10.00:
Crash
The Punisher
Rambo I
Rambo II
Rambo III
Reservoir Dogs
Saw I
Saw II
Stargate
Terminator 2
Total Recall
Young Guns
It's kinda like the dawning of a new $10 HD bin @ Wal-Mart! Except on a shelf! :D

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
^^^
Neat!
I was in there the other day and saw a 3 movie set with Death Wish in it. All in widescreen. Can't remember the others. $5 for 3 flicks. Not bad!
I picked up that Mill Creek Howdy Doody set late last year. I'm sure there are still a few of those in there.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Radioman970 said:
I was in there the other day and saw a 3 movie set with Death Wish in it. All in widescreen. Can't remember the others. $5 for 3 flicks. Not bad!
I saw one of those 3/$5 sets, too...but they were all fluff comedies in which I had no interest. I didn't even retain the titles. But I thought the same thing...3 movies for $5 (packaged together). There could be something of interest there. This was on a shelf, too--not in the bin.
Anecdote: When I walked by the bin last night, a female customer had brought an empty shopping cart to the bin and was pulling handfuls of DVDs out of the bin...looking through them and dumping them ALL into the shopping cart. It took me a half-second to realize that she was going to empty the bin until she found what she wanted. :laugh: ...rather than buying up the entire bin!

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
I saw one of those 3/$5 sets, too...but they were all fluff comedies in which I had no interest. I didn't even retain the titles. But I thought the same thing...3 movies for $5 (packaged together). There could be something of interest there. This was on a shelf, too--not in the bin.
Anecdote: When I walked by the bin last night, a female customer had brought an empty shopping cart to the bin and was pulling handfuls of DVDs out of the bin...looking through them and dumping them ALL into the shopping cart. It took me a half-second to realize that she was going to empty the bin until she found what she wanted. :laugh: ...rather than buying up the entire bin!
Talking about determination. :D

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Mike Frezon said:
I saw that comedy set just today! And didn't retain the titles either. :D I didn't see the Death Wish one. Probably would have bought it since 2 of the flicks I don't have. I also saw Hook/Indian in the Cupboard in there. I already have Hook (not my favorite movie) and have never seen Indian.
Smart girl! I hope she looked increasingly hot as she bent over to dig deeper and deeper.... :p

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Mike Frezon said:
And I didn't stick around to see if she put them all back...or just left 'em in the cart!
Usually they just leave it there. I just know there's a few oop titles at the bottom. I'd like to take the whole thing out in the parking lot and dump it out and sort thru. :D And if they want me to put em back then...
htf_imgcache_37923.jpeg

(should be a pic of a bulldozer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was in a different Wal-Mart last night and saw a huge number of individual SD titles for $13 & $9. There was also an entire endcap of $13 collections (for which I took out pen & paper):
Alien 3 pack
Die Hard Trilogy
Mission Impossible 3 pack
Gibson Collection (Braveheart/Payback/We Were Soldiers)
Rush Hour 3 pack
Austin Powers 3 pack
Girls Night In 3 pack (No titles. There were none on shelves.)
Girls Rule 3 pack (Mean Girls/Clueless/She's the Man)
Rocky 1, 2, 3
Predator 3 pack
Scorsese Collection (5 films)
Saw 1, 2, 3
Eddie Murphy Collection (BH Cop/Trading Places/48 Hrs.)
Stephen King 3 pack (DreamCatcher/Shawshank Redemption/The Shining)
X Trilogy
Rambo Trilogy
Man With No Name Trilogy
Eddie Murphy Collection (Nutty Prof./Nutty Prof. 2/Bowfinger/Life)
Friday Collection (3 films)
Sinatra Golden Years (5 films)

Marianne

Supporting Actor
Mike Frezon said:
That's what I do, except in the few stores that actually have a proper display for the five dollar DVDs. After I dump them into the cart and maybe find one or two I want, I just leave the cart there. It makes it easier for other people and might send a message to store management to put them in a more orderly display.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
Wow, dvd prices are insanely low right now. This is good, now i can pick up some movies i passed on at the 15-20 dollar price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks