What's new

The Ongoing Wal-Mart $4.88/$5.50/$5.88 Bargain Bin Thread (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
troy evans said:
Right! This is what I said back in post 1072. :)
i saw that post troy and to be fair you said..."I thought anything carrying a DTS 5.1 had to have a DD 5.1 by default."
not
"i checked and it DOES have the 5.1 dd track."

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Mike Frezon said:
Yeah. I'm not gonna lose too much sleep (or gasoline) looking for them! :D
I'm thinking a lot of stuff like this is going to be much much more common in the near future in the form of streaming shows all over the place. I'm hoping a lot of stuff comes out of the woodworks. That happened when cable was new. HD TV too. I remember when I was in Sears years ago and Flipper and Ultraman, 2 of my favs that were unavailable at the time, were playing in widescreen on a TV. I nearly fainted.

troy evans

Screenwriter
TonyD said:
i saw that post troy and to be fair you said..."I thought anything carrying a DTS 5.1 had to have a DD 5.1 by default."
not
"i checked and it DOES have the 5.1 dd track."
Fair enough. So, I did some checking and it does in fact seem that all titles carrying DTS 5.1 also carry DD 5.1. I was hesitant about saying that because there's always one out there that bunks the standard. Anyway, here's another title to at least support that and that's good to know. :)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Mike Frezon said:
Happened to be in another Wal-Mart tonight. Found one of the Howdy DVDs.
Thanks, James! :emoji_thumbsup:
Keep looking! Hey, those look a little alike so check carefully. The picture of Howdy and Bob are different on each.
But congrads! Enjoy.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Patrick Sun said:
According to a Home Media Magazine editiorial, looks like Wal-Mart is going to be getting rid of the Dump Bins soon.
HomeMediaMagazine.com | Bringing Digital Entertainment To You
VERY interesting, Patrick. Thank you.
The dump bins, without a doubt, are hugely popular. People are ALWAYS congregated around them whenever I am in a Wal-Mart.
I, personally, haven't purchased much from a bin in a long time...except for the Young Guns SE I posted about a couple of months ago.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I've got to go back and pick up a spaghetti western that was in there. Hang em High, I think it was.
I'll be sad to seem them go. But I can get similar deals online. No big whoop if wal mart doesn't want my standard DVD biz.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I like the implication that people will suddenly be more willing to pay $20 for a DVD if the $5 bin goes away. :)
Wasn't George Feltenstein talking years ago about how he wanted DVDs to become a cheap commodity that people would snag along with magazines as an impulse buy?
Can't get that toothpaste back in the tube.

troy evans

Screenwriter
The move does come at the right time. With everything around us getting more expensive, it'll be easy to justify the removal of the bins. As Blu-ray becomes more popular the sd dvds of day and date titles will have to drop drastically in price as Blu-rays do the same. With new release Blu-rays coming out at $20-$22 eventually. At that time sd dvds will have to come out at $10-$15 if they want to compete. If they stay too close in price point people will buy the Blu-ray all the time. Why wouldn't you? Then, all the $3.98, $5.00, $7.50, $9.44 and $13.72 islands displays become below $10.00 displays of some nature. At least, that's how I see it happening in the near future.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'm still finding a lot of great stuff in my bin. Every few weeks I wonder what the next Mill Creek set will be in there for 5 bucks. I've pretty much bought them all...lated, The Legend of Rin Tin tin.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I also have seen a lot of good stuff in the bin lately, stuff I already have. A lot of the titles are on those double/triple feature discs now too, but if you only want one of them...
The bins are $5 in Canada. Used to be $6.88 for years. One I got recently for $6.88, so not quite in the bin, is the Hellboy 3-discer. One from the bin, likely only of interest to Canadians or air buffs, is The Arrow. I've been wanting to get that for a while, but usually hard to find or quite expensive (especially from U.S. dealers).

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Yesterday, I saw a bunch of ESPN discs priced at $5.00 each (on the shelf and in the bin). I picked up the Wide World of Sports 40th Anniversary and Remembering Marshall (about the Marshall University plane crash) discs.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
A few of those sports DVDs were $1 at my Walmart! Nothing of interest to me. I was hoping that Mike Tyson fight collection was among the cheapies (if that was ESPN). That's one I'd buy.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I found some good titles in the bin this week, I picked up the Magnificent Seven, don't think it was the SE but it did have a 45 min Behind the Scenes doc, 2 trailers and a photo gallery. Also grabbed Fargo SE and Fallen, which I returned un-opened because I could hear the disc rattling around inside when I got home, they didn't have another copy, so I picked up Secondhand Lions instead. I hadn't seen anything I had wanted in these bins since I grabbed the Adventures of Robin Hood.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah. My Wal-Mart's bin is currently overflowing with a new influx of titles. Some of them were pretty good...but I can't remember any right now because there was nothing for me to purchase. I do remember, for some reason, seeing Matrix Revolutions in there though.
Good call on Secondhand Lions, Ron! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks