What's new

The Ongoing Mars Explorer Thread (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The MDF* must be getting sick of us lobbing our space junk at them. They probably figured if they let the Pathfinder do a little exploration and find nothing, we'd leave them alone. They don't know us very well, do they? :)

*Martian Defense Force

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Fingers crossed for Saturday night. Hopefully this one will have more luck than Beagle 2 appears to have had.

:emoji_thumbsup:

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
You can download a scaled down version of the actual software that NASA will be using to control both rovers.

Maestro Software

I just finished downloading it, but haven't tried it. It does have some somewhat hefty memory requirements (256 megs) and there are versions for all platforms. Periodically, they will be releasing data from the actual landing site as it is sent back my Spirit, so you will be able to play around with the real stuff. It's supplied with test rover data.

*trying it out now*

It runs under Java, and on my machine (AMD Athlon 1700+, 256 megs ram, GeForce 2 GTS 32 meg) it runs quite slow, so much so that I doubt I'll use it much, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Brian

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
You can go to NASA TV to watch webcast of events from JPL during the landing tonightstarating at appx 7:30 PM Pacific Time. Landing is scheduled for an hour later.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I'm watching NASA TV right now. Even though we have DirecTV, we don't have an eliptical dish (being in Alaska, we even need a 3' dish to get a strong signal), so we can't get NASA TV though that, but the stream I'm getting over the net is not bad at all.

Brian

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
They aren't getting a signal right now though... hmmm...

Apparently they lost signal from Pathfinder when it was bouncing and rolling, so this is probably normal... I hope

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Depending on how it finally settled down, Spirits attennas may not be in proper alignment yet. It could be tomorrow before confirmation that the craft is OK comes in. The Mars Global Surveyor picked up telemetry from the lander and is currently sending it back to mission control. They are trying to determine if the info sent back from MGS included info after the landing. Stand by........ CNN is covering things live.

UPDATE: They just received a tone from the lander on the surface!. It's OK so far.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
It also landed base down, which is the best we could have hoped for. It should be opening up presently. NASA TV says that is almost done.

Brian

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Very, very awesome. Can't wait to get something for a wallpaper :) So far this mission is going perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks