What's new

The Ongoing Mars Explorer Thread (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That second blow up on the previous page. What's Sebastion doing on Mars. Pretty hard singing "Under the Sea" in that environment. Maybe he's singing "Kiss the Martian."

John Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
Spirit has taken a very cool color photograph with its panoramic camera from the lip of the Bonneville Crater. The photo is available in small [66kb], medium [785kb] and large forms [26.4MB] The medium photo gives a good resolution while still providing a sense of dramatic sweep within the confines of the average computer monitor (the large photo is so big you can't really get a good feel for the dramatic sweep of this shot).

Medium resolution photo:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...A071R1_br2.jpg

Mars Rover website:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html

P.S. I still REALLY want to get to the top of those East Hills and get a panoramic shot of the rolling crater-pocked plains below!

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member

Do you need somebody to go with you? Give me a call, I'd like to go also. :)

P.S. The rovers continue to perform magnificently. Lots of bang for the buck I'd say. And all that money was spent right here on earth.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
According to Space.com NASA is set to make another "major" discovery from the Opportunity rover on Tuesday at 2pm EST. I'm guessing they have determined whether the water at the landing site was in the form of a lake, or was groundwater.

Also, Opportunity tried and failed to climb out of the crater, so NASA plans on trying a different direction where it won't slip as much.

Brian

John Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
MONDAY, MARCH 22, 2004
2325 GMT (6:25 p.m. EST)

Opportunity successfully emerged from the crater today, one martian-day later than planned after the rover experienced wheel slippage in the sandy soil.

Controllers sent the rover driving along the crater rim instead of a more direct path straight out, officials said.

The crater, dubbed "Eagle Crater," is approximately 22 meters (72 feet) in diameter.

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/status.html

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

Sounds like a no-brainer to me... how much could the incremental daily costs be ?

Even though the long-term prospects of it just "staying alive and remote sensing the sky and ground" don't sound as glamorous as it's past performance, it should be worthwhile.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
I would think something could also be learned by taking the rovers to the point of failure, that would help in the design of future rovers. It doesn't get the press it did in the beginning of the mission, but it's been a fantastic success.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks