What's new

The ongoing is Verizon getting the iPhone thread (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Boxing day and LTE? Too fishy! http://www.macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/exclusive_verizons_iphone_rumored_to_be_lte_device_coming_right_after_xmas/

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And the latest from Asymco is very interesting.

http://www.asymco.com/2010/12/13/verizon-strikes-out/

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And here's another big clue: Verizon announces January press event.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/01/verizon-sends-event-invitation-net-flies-into-verizon-iphone-flurry.ars

Couple this with Ron's info that Apple has a blackout on January vacation in stores (see the iPad thread), and the universe is aligning itself in a way that allows a Verizon iPhone (which it didn't for past rumor runups.)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Should be awesome to finally have that option for an iPhone on VZW! And just when I've been warming up to the idea of gradually migrating toward all Android in my household (outside of our couple old iPod players) too.

Oh well, although I'm gonna want to wait and see that iPhone on VZW, there's still good likelihood I'll end up getting some sort of Android smartphone for my wife anyway. At this point, I'm really leaning toward waiting for a good 4G LTE smartphone preferably w/ the latest Google Nav (or at least a good, affordable, turn-by-turn, driving nav GPS option) and a 4"-plus screen, which may or may not rule out the iPhone...

_Man_

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Please be true, please be true, please be true!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703667904576072110862862244.html

What I need to have happen to switch:

-Unlimited data for $30 a month

-No Tethering Fee

-No verizon crapware. Has to be clean like AT&T.

Give me those three and I will swap. Not before.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Their current plans are unlimited data (well maybe 5GB) for $30 / mo, and 150 MB for $15/mo. Verizon has the better plan for heavy data users and AT&T has a better plan for modest data users.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

-No Tethering Fee

Can't imagine this happening -- I assume you mean using it as a mobile WiFi hotspot w/out additional charges.

_Man_

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am with Sam regarding the items needed for

me to switch over to Verizon.

However, there is one more item that goes at

the top of the list far more than anything else...

The ability to talk and use data at the same time.

Thus far AT&T has been the only network that
supports this on the iPhone. I am not certain
whether Verizon's technology has been updated

to do the same. I want to have the ability to be

able to be on the phone with someone, look up

information on the iPhone and then be able to

translate that data to the person I am speaking with.

If Verizon can't handle this, then there is no
reason for me to switch over.

One more concern....

Aren't we close to yet another iPhone launch

this Spring? I would rather wait for the next

revamped iPhone to be available rather than
jump into a contract with Verizon at this point.

Look forward to sharing your thoughts about this.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Regarding simultaneous voice and data on 3G: I thought that was a big deal and said so in previous discussions. Seven months later, I've never used it. While I don't have any reason to switch to Verizon (AT&T is fine in my town), I now wouldn't be stopped by the CDMA limitations.

Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

Aren't we close to yet another iPhone launch

this Spring? I would rather wait for the next

revamped iPhone to be available rather than
jump into a contract with Verizon at this point.

iPhone revisions are summer. Late June to mid July.

Verizon will get a CDMA iPhone 4 through the Winter and Spring. Presumably the iPhone 5 will launch on both carriers simultaneously this summer (as it does globally).

All IMO but based on Apple's behavior the past three years :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, sounds to me like I need to wait.

No need to get into a Verizon contract now

with a new iPhone 4-5 months away.

Additionally, simultaneous voice and 3G

are essential to me. Have used it many

times. If Verizon can't handle such it
puts some hesitation on me to switch carriers.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I forgot that aspect of it Ron and you are absolutely right. I am CONSTANTLY on a web browser while talking to people via speakerphone of my iPhone. I wont go to Verizon if that capability is lost.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If simultaneous voice/data is not coming w/ their version of iPhone 4, maybe they will have it w/ the iPhone 5 (presumably w/ 4G LTE).

I have no idea myself, but yeah, they really should address that issue for all their smartphones.

It wouldn't really be a dealbreaker for me though since I wouldn't be able to do much of anything w/ the smartphone anyway if there's not reliable signal run either voice *or* data.

Also, assuming WiFi still works just fine while on a call, I could probably make do most times if/when I do actually need data access during a call. Heck, I don't even have WiFi on my outdated BB Tour, and it really hasn't bothered me at all that I can't access the web during calls -- then again, I don't actually make/take that many calls w/ it. Might be tricky OTOH though to take a phone call while running Google Maps/Nav for turn-by-turn GPS driving nav unless one has the latest version w/ more complete offline maps access...

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
There won't be an LTE iPhone until 2012, at least. Definitely not this year's iPhone 5. (Again, looking at Apple's history of conservatism. They launched on EDGE even though 3G was available on other phones. They'll wait until LTE is common nationwide and low-power chips are available. None of that's true in 2011.)

Ron & Sam, do you use web and voice on 3G a lot? Or web and voice on wifi, which will still work on Verizon? (which I'm you know that, but still curious?) Verizon has said they've got a way to make CDMA to simultaneous voice and data, but I've not read any good rumors on whether it will be used for their first iPhone.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by DaveF
There won't be an LTE iPhone until 2012, at least. Definitely not this year's iPhone 5. (Again, looking at Apple's history of conservatism. They launched on EDGE even though 3G was available on other phones. They'll wait until LTE is common nationwide and low-power chips are available. None of that's true in 2011.)

Are you sure that will actually apply since there's talk that Jobs is pushing the carriers to have 4G networks ready asap -- and supposedly even helping to fund the infrastructure upgrades needed for this though I don't recall whether it's just rumor or actual fact (and don't have the link offhand).

If Apple is gonna spend significant $$$ to subsidize that push, I'd think they won't be as conservative about getting the iPhone ready to make full use of 4G.

One problem w/ the conservative rationale is Apple is no longer playing in a field w/ zero real competition while looking to increase marketshare. Android is quickly catching up now, if it hasn't already (both in tech/actual quality and in popular opinion/mindshare). And if the accelerated iPad 2 release rumors turn out to be true, that would probably be another case where Apple's starting to feel a bit of the heat from Android, et al.

_Man_

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by DaveF

Ron & Sam, do you use web and voice on 3G a lot? Or web and voice on wifi, which will still work on Verizon? (which I'm you know that, but still curious?) Verizon has said they've got a way to make CDMA to simultaneous voice and data, but I've not read any good rumors on whether it will be used for their first iPhone.

I think this will be a hard push if he sticks with this. A few years ago, maybe.. but right now, there is plenty of pressure from Android to quickly get to 4G so that some functions (video chat, etc.) function while on the cellular network. 2 years for an LTE/WiMAX phone will be the equivelent of giving Android 3 development (maybe 4 if you count the one before us) cycles all on their own at 4G

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Gruber seems to think that the iPhone 5, at least the Verizon version will be both CDMA and GSM 3G for anyone who travels. He thinks the now coming Verizon iPhone will be CDMA only. Something to keep in mind if you ever travel. No idea what Gruber 's sources are.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by ManW_TheUncool

Are you sure that will actually apply since there's talk that Jobs is pushing the carriers to have 4G networks ready asap -- and supposedly even helping to fund the infrastructure upgrades needed for this though I don't recall whether it's just rumor or actual fact (and don't have the link offhand).
Yes, I'm sure. Despite unfounded rumors about possible conspiracies to the contrary, I'll stick with my reasoning :)

I'm just another dog on the internet idling away time in everyone's favorite game, "Guess what Apple will do next." So I've put my poker chips on "No LTE iPhone in 2011." I take it you've got your poker chips on "iPhone 5 in 2011 will be LTE / 4G"? Make your bet, and we'll see who's right in a few months. :) And in this game, it's just as much fun being wrong as right.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by mattCR 

I think this will be a hard push if he sticks with this.  A few years ago, maybe.. but right now, there is plenty of pressure from Android to quickly get to 4G so that some functions (video chat, etc.) function while on the cellular network.  2 years for an LTE/WiMAX phone will be the equivelent of giving Android 3 development (maybe 4 if you count the one before us) cycles all on their own at 4G

Disagree. First the current such phone (Evo) have a comical battery life compared to the iPhone. Secondly with T- Mobile & co calling fast 3G 4G, no one but a geek knows what it is, anyway. Also, I believe officially it needs to be 100 Mbps to qualify as 4G so, not even LTE in its present form is really 4G. Lastly, having used the iPhone on a real 7.2Mbps network, from a practical standpoint I don't see the benefit of something way faster (which, again, LTE currently isn't). Tethering is the only application that comes to mind where one would see real benefits m Summery -- forget it, no LTE from Apple in 2011.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron & Sam, do you use web and voice on 3G a lot? Or web and voice on wifi, which will still work on Verizon?

I use it on the 3G network. Nice to have that capability

when away from my home at work. No need to have it

available WiFi in the home as I have my landline and

computer to fit those needs.

Changing over to Verizon in February would be suicide.

First, there's a new iPhone coming in just 4 months if

Apple keeps with their history. I am not going to enter

a new contract with Verizon and get locked out of a new

phone in a few months.

Second, you can probably bet that whatever Verizon

offers to entice AT&T users to switch will be countermanded.

If Verizon offers free tethering and unlimited data plans

I would imaging AT&T may contemplate the same. Best

to sit it out, wait for the dust to settle and by that time a

new phone will be available with the opportunity to make

a more educated choice about competing plans.

One BIG advantage to AT&T is rollover minutes. I can

subscribe to the cheapest plan and have plenty of minutes

available the months I need them. Plus, I really have no

major problems with AT&T -- even with all the traveling I do.

Though, given a choice, I would go back to VERIZON if

their plan was right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks