What's new

The official "Thank You To The Tolsky Family" thread! (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I know Jason already posted it in the official sign up thread, but I really thought this was deserving of its own thread.

I really want to acknowledge David and Jessica Tolsky for setting up the last two HTF L.A. meets! Without them, quite frankly, I wouldn't know most, if not all, of the great HTF'ers that I now have faces to put with their names.

Thanks for all you hard work David and Jessica! Don't even get me started talking about your wonderful theater...I might offer myself up for adoption! ;) I am low-maintenance and come with my own (rather modest in comparison) HT equipment! I don't take up much room...

Seriously, thanks again for everything! Hope to do this again, and the sooner the better!

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I want to add my thanks to David and Jessica for all their wonderful hard work in making it possible for many of us to get together and enjoy each other's company and the home theater industry. David, you are a gentleman and a good friend, and I got a kick out of the look on your face when you described your system. It's a great setup, and I'm glad you're getting the setup you always wanted!

rin

Stunt Coordinator
We (stepdad and I) had a great time hanging out with all the great HTF folks. Thank you Dave for all the effort you put into the meet! As usual, you have put together an awesome event and I hope you know how much we all appreciate your hard work. Thanks also to Gregg Loewen, all the folks at DTS, Chace, 5.1, and especially Widescreen Review for their hospitality. I really hated to miss Sunday. Maybe someone who attended could let us poor slobs-who couldn't go-know how it went?

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
David, you did a fantastic job putting the meet together. My wife and I were impressed with the friendliness of our group an the places we visited. All to often a city like LA gets a bad rap for not being a friendly place. Big thanks to Gregg Loewen for the great food on thursday. And for all those who could not attend, man did you miss some awesome demos at DTS, Chase, and 5.1 Entertainment. Gary Lux and his mixing station was simply incredible. I'll be looking for 5.1 Entertainment titles from now on, that man can make music come alive.

Thanks again,

Bill and Dawne Cowmeadow
Rosamond, Ca.

WarrenHH

Agent
Yes indeed. I had a super time at all events, and surely appreciate the work put into putting it all together.
Thanks Gregg Loewen for the lunch too. He has worked on my Mitsu 65"diamond, and the results were a bargain.
Nice to meet all the L.A. folks. Hope to be able to sponser something at my house when it gets built !!
Also a tip of the hat to Gary Reber and Perry Sun and all the WSR folks for a great job on Sat with demos, lunch & wine! We really enjoyed it.

Sorry we had to miss Sunday.

Thanks again to all involved.

Warren & Kelly Holm

josh4040

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
Big thank you to David and Jessica for the entire weeekend, I had a fantastic time. Thank you also to Gregg Loewen for the delicious lunch on thursday. Can't wait for the next meet!

Tom Young

Agent
I too had a wonderful time all four days and want to thank all responsible especially David and Jessica for opening up their house to us once again. Your theater is well on it's way and "awesome" would be an understatement!

My thanks also to Gregg for a fantastic BBQ lunch on Thursday.

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
I'll say it a hundred times if necessary...

THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU

DTS Your demo theater is very cool and sounded amazing! Thanks for the Q & A time and the goodie bag!

Gregg, the food was amazing, thank you so much for your generosity!

Chace is such a cool place. I had no idea so much knowledge and cool equipment could be stored in two small buildings. The work you guys do is amazing!

(Did you notice the word AMAZING keeps coming up here???)

5.1 Entertainment also has a great demo room that really convinced me of the need to upgrade to DVD-Audio asap. As if that wasn't enough, the amazing studio and incomparable Gary Lux show the enthusiasm and skill they bring to each and every recording.

The Village Theater in Westwood is simply the best theater I have ever been to... just amazing!

Widescreen Review is yet another amazing place. I have got to subscribe to this magazine now that I know where they do their screenings for reviews. Gary and his wife, Perry Sun and all of the other staff were so gracious and generous. I didn't drink the wine, but the food sure was great!

...and all of those events, led up to THE TOLSKY THEATER which is now commonly referred to as Widescreen Review - North. What an amazing (there's that word again!) theater experience! In a house, no less!!! Dave and Jessica, it is obvious you have put in so much effort to building your theater, and it shows... on the walls, the carpet, the projector, the screen, the sound, the baseboards... uh... scratch that last one... but you know what I mean! What an amazing experience! Oh and Carlo, I beat you to it already and told Dave I am ready to move in. If he adopts me, he gets instant grandkids too.. can you beat that? :D

Last but not least, the sausages and pizza were also great, thanks solely to the effort of David's lovely wife, Jessica. Thank you for all of your time and effort!

That about does it... what an AMAZING meet!

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
The next meet is going to be at Jason's house...
His base boards have been in for years :b

Thank you everyone for the kind words!

I've said it once and I'll say it again. The best part about putting together a meet is getting together with all of you. It's so much fun sharing my enthusiasm for home theater with folks who have the same interests.

Special thanks go to Sabrina, Brian, David, Lorr and the staff at DTS for opening their doors to us.
To Bob, Ron, and the staff at Chace for giving us insight into the world of soundtrack restoration.
To Jacqui, Jeff, Gary and the staff at 5.1 Entertainment. You have made more fans of DVD-Audio!
To Gary and his wife, Maryellen, Perry and the gang at Widescreen Review. This is an event we always look forward to. Your theater is killer and your generosity is above and beyond. I could only recreate your D-Box experience if I could crank my system up to 11!
To Gregg Loewen for stepping in and sponsoring a wonderful barbecue lunch.
To those who lent a hand in the theater.
To Ron and Parker for providing a forum where we can all meet and gab about our obsession.
Last but by no means least, a big thank you goes to my wife Jessica. She has helped me in the theater, she arranged the visit with Chace and was able to get an advance copy of Daredevil to screen. She also took care of all the food and setting up while we were having all the fun. This meet would not have happened without your contributions. I love you!

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
David:

Glad to hear you guys had a great time. I am disappointed that I had to miss it. I always have enjoyed your company and I would have loved the opportunity to talk with Jessica. She did a great job with the DVD Audio Survey that we had on the forum for a few weeks.

Now...I need to see some pictures of your new HT. The last one I saw didn't have a DLP and so on. Is it still in the upstairs landing area?

Pictures. I want pictures. :)

Parker

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm working on 'em Packy (and yes we missed you there too!). I took some shots of Dave's place, but not of one in-action. Since I'm supposed to bring my SPL meter over to Dave's one day to calibrate, I'll take some then. I didn't want to break the action and ask him to pause the movie for a pic (since I was using no-flash my shutter speed was too slow and any motion on the screen would wipe out the pic, I'll take a still frame shot next time I'm there).

I forgot my dig cam at home but tomorrow I'll try to remember to bring it and DL some pics onto my PC.

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
Well, I'm soon going to lose my loaner DVI-based Bravo player back to Jonathan Burk so any still frame from my projector may not be so good. I'm going to have to bribe Jonathan so I can buy a Bravo from him.

Alan Ross

Agent
When I first heard of David's reluctance to have us over on Sunday because his theater was not finished, I expected to see paint splattered plywood floors, unprimed sheetrock, a bed sheet screen, speakers sitting on fruit crates and a projector carefully balanced on top of a step ladder. The first clue that the theater was further along then I thought came at the front door, where the light fixture was vigorously vibrating and sported two broken glass panes. Yes, the subwoofer was hooked up and shaking the street.

I followed the rumble upstairs, stepping carefully and trying not to loose my balance as wave after wave of low frequency energy threatened to knock me down. When I finally entered the theater room it was very dark, but I quickly noticed that one of the room's walls was missing, and through the opening I could see the West Hills desert. In the desert some little boy was navigating a racing pod? Wait a minute I’ve seen this before, I have it on DVD, Star Wars Episode I. Wow, what an outstanding picture! After the lights were turned on I saw a 99% completed home theater, Jessica must have finished it while David was sleeping.

All kidding aside, great, great home theater and super nice hosts!

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
Alan, you just made my day. That was a fun read! Hope you can come by the house for a screening some day.

Dave

PS: I talked Jonathan into selling me one of his Bravos so I now have my DVI based player back. Whew!

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
David:

Alan, you just made my day. That was a fun read! Hope you can come by the house for a screening some day.
You mean David wasn't at the screening that you had for Star Wars Ep. 1? He really must have been in a galaxy far far away.

And you blew a wall out of your house!? I have heard about bad as bass before but DAMN!! :)

Vern Sharp

Grip
Dave and Jessica,

Thanks for opening up your home to us again. It's always great to view movies at your house even more so now since the projector and screen addition. The room looks great even if it's not completed. I look forward to seeing everyone again soon.

Brian_Smas

Auditioning
I also want to thank David and Jessica for putting the meet together. This was my first and I enjoyed it very much. I also want to thank Rin, Rod and Tom for letting me carpool with them. As a recent newcomer to this forum I felt very welcome and I appreciated it very much.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Dave,
Glad to hear you guys had a blast,you been doing this for years now, congrats on a good job.
Bummer I missed this one,I should have checked the board for messages from you,next time I hope.
Can anyone enlight me on the Q/A with DTS,any particular news?

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
Unfortunately Lewis, due to their IPO (they went public the same day we were there) they said they are not allowed to be as forthcoming as they have been in the past. They talked about the advances made in car audio, dvd-audio, video games, and even told us they are being broadcast on satellite radio in Europe (Sweden?)... I asked one of the DTS reps at lunch about the possibility of hearing surround material on either XM or Sirius and he said they have already been talking with XM, but they don't know how they want to spend their bandwidth yet... he said XM could even provide video content for all of those soccer moms with tv screens in their cars... whoa!

I'm never very good at synopsizing things, so I am sure someone else will come along and offer a much more coherent account of our DTS discussions... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks