What's new

The official Survivor Season 22 Redemption Island: Russell vs. Rob discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Some Ideas for next year if they are going to bring back folks....some put in just for laughs...

1) - The First voted off season - bring all the folks who did not really get a chance to play because they were voted off first. Most of these folks were either very annoying,had no social game, or just too old.

2) - The "runner up" show - For people who almost made it, but were #2 in the voting for their season - these were people who were good enough to make it to the end, but were not able to finish the job.

3) - The "do nothing" group - made up of all people who just hang around camp, are not a threat in the challenges, and try to lay low. When the whole tribe tries to lay low, it would be interesting to see if anything gets done.

4) - The "wrong number of people" alliance folks - smart enough to make an alliance, but had too few folks to actually make it work.

5) - The social game only folks - people who were just good at playing the social game, but sucked at challenges.

6) - The "lovie/dovie" groups - all guys who were smitten by someone in a bikini and were lead around by their nose by the "love of their life" - only to have been back stabbed by the same girl.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I didn't think he could pull it off, but Rob pretty much swept the jury. What helped Rob immensely was redemption island -- having the jurors stay in the game for a few more days eased them out of the game since they had at least one more challenge before leaving. I think that bled off some of the anger over being voted off or blindsided. Sort of the difference between being awoken gently or being awoken with cymbal crashes. And I was surprised at how poorly Natalie presented herself on the jury. That was Amanda Kimmel worthy. Good on Rob for picking Natalie for her complete lack of strategic and verbal and skills, if indeed that's why he chose her.

The editors held the fact that the girls knew of Rob's HII. Naughty naughty. It made the girls look like they weren't making a move on Rob all that time merely because they were stupid and lazy.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I really wanted to hear Zapatera answer whether or not in retrospect they thought it was a good idea to throw a challenge just to dump Russell....For all the credit Rob deservedly got, he got a huge assist from that move.

I agree with Steve on the whole bitter jury thing...every season some people who manipulate and vote off others end up whining when they fall victim to the same stuff. Julie was the worst of them for me too with that whole your mother wouldn't be proud thing. Pretty funny comment coming from someone who intentionally tanked a challenge, which isn't exactly something to be proud of.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
No moss is growing on Russell Hantz...

Originally Posted by Patrick_S /forum/thread/308195/the-official-s...ell-vs-rob-discussion-thread/240#post_3812073
Julie was the worst of them for me too with that whole your mother wouldn't be proud thing. Pretty funny comment coming from someone who intentionally tanked a challenge, which isn't exactly something to be proud of.

I was glad Jeff went back to her and asked about her closing remarks. And I was surprised she didn't backpedal more vociferously. She is the one who should be embarassed about how her actions (as seen through the prism of that performance) reflect on her.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Both Natalie and Phillip basically said that Rob was responsible for everything. Neither made any case for winning themselves -- they practically handed Rob the million dollars. Also handing Rob the money? David Murphy. I imagine him at Ponderosa loudly making the case for Rob.

As much as I loved Phillip this season, it would have been more entertaining had be been voted out before final immunity so he could be interrogating the finalists as a jury member instead of being grilled by the jury. I really didn't think he had anything to back up his claim that he had a key to defeating Boston Rob, but the magic beans he said he was holding weren't even beans at all. He had bupkes. Furthermore, he told off multiple jury members!

Regardless of what they said, I don't think Natalie nor Phillip had any hope of beating Boston Rob. Which makes me wonder why they were so gung ho about making it to the finals.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

It was amazing how bad Natalie's opening statement turned out. And I kept hoping that Phillip really did have some amazing final tribal council presentation to make...but he had nothing.

I was glad Jeff went back to her and asked about her closing remarks. And I was surprised she didn't backpedal more vociferously. She is the one who should be embarassed about how her actions (as seen through the prism of that performance) reflect on her.

I was surprised she didn't back peddle more as well.

As for Natalie...My wife and I were wondering just before it started what she could possibly say to the jury since, as we all know, she didn't actually do anything. We decided all Natalie could have said was "I looked cute, and I made rice".

Jon_B

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

.As much as I loved Phillip this season, it would have been more entertaining had be been voted out before final immunity so he could be interrogating the finalists as a jury member instead of being grilled by the jury. I really didn't think he had anything to back up his claim that he had a key to defeating Boston Rob, but the magic beans he said he was holding weren't even beans at all. He had bupkes. Furthermore, he told off multiple jury members!

After seeing that Phillip had nothing to say that could help him win, it would have been nice to see him on the jury. I think that Ashley would have had a better chance against Rob, so I guess I am glad it played out like it did.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
It was obvious that Phillip had zero chance of winning. That he actually received one vote was almost a miracle. But Natalie was so weak she got nada. I wonder if, had been anyone other than Natalie sitting next to Rob and Phil, that person would have won? I think any Zapatera would have won. Andrea , Grant, or Matt would have won. Ashley is up in the air, but she might have made it competitive. So credit to Rob for taking the exact two people he needed to take in order to secure the victory.

mike caronia

Second Unit
I'm shocked most folks here enjoyed this season.

It goes against everything Survivor is supposed to be.

I thought it was completely awful television (save for Phil's idiocy).

There was no joy in watching a 4 time player walk all over recruited mactors.

Dreadful.

And Redemption Island needs to be snuffed out. Brutal twist that meant nothing to the game.

In fact, it robbed us of much more than it returned.

And the fact that both people that came back were immediately voted out needs to void the twist as a complete failure.

Outwit, 'OUTLAST' and Outplay doesn't mean diddly squat if you just go somewhere else when you get voted out.

Give us 16/18 NEW Survivors, less twists and let them play the game everyone loves.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I agree about Redemption Island. Completely useless to the game. Matt survived until the very end of RI and then he's just gone. How they think this added to the game, I have no idea.

I'm so not very excited for next season.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I didn't care for the Redemption Island twist, but on the whole I enjoyed this season very much. Personally, I had no problem with Rob being back in the game because he's just a genuinely entertaining competitor. If the show could find more players like him it would benefit greatly, but I doubt you'll find too many people that are as skilled as he is at playing the game. I also love the fact that he can now say he's won the game while Russell, the self-proclaimed "best player ever", has not.

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Originally Posted by Phil Taylor

Apparently Russell will likely be back next season...

Did they actually say he would be back on the reunion show as I didn't see it? I thought Russell was a pesona non grati after being caught leaking results of an earlier apperence. They were already filming RI when it got out. He also said he wouldn't be back when he lost the RI challenge, but I relaize that doesn't mean anything.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Not a fan of Redemption Island either. However,

unfortunately, it looks like it's here to stay.

Visit our
imgrepo
DVD,
imgrepo
BLU-RAY and
imgrepo
3D REVIEW ARCHIVES

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
While I enjoyed parts of this season, I was not thrilled by it like I had been for past seasons. Redemption island seemed like a waste of time. I'm sick of the bitter pissed of jury. Frankly you would think by now people would understand that this is a game. Just a game, nothing else. It doesn't cross over into real life. If you play a strategic game and backstab and lie that doe not mean you are a horrible person in your real life and have no morals. Geeeeeeeeeeesh!

Glad Rob finally won.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Grant wasn't pissed off at Rob on the island. If he was that pissed, he would have voted for Natalie or Phillip. They even stayed in touch after they got back home. What pissed Grant off was the episode where they jacked the HII clue from the coffee can together when in fact Rob had the HII the whole time. That's the reason why they're not speaking.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Originally Posted by Lucia Duran

While I enjoyed parts of this season, I was not thrilled by it like I had been for past seasons. Redemption island seemed like a waste of time. I'm sick of the bitter pissed of jury. Frankly you would think by now people would understand that this is a game. Just a game, nothing else. It doesn't cross over into real life. If you play a strategic game and backstab and lie that doe not mean you are a horrible person in your real life and have no morals. Geeeeeeeeeeesh!

Glad Rob finally won.

If they were only together for part of a day, that might make it much easier for them to process. That's not how it works, though. They're with their competitors 24/7 until they're voted out or make it to the end. They're eating and sleeping together. They're not strategizing all of the time (with very few exceptions); they're sharing details of their personal lives (whether they're lying or not is another story) to pass the time, etc.; to an extent, they let their guard down and get to know each other. That's where the bitterness comes from.

One big issue is that many of the contestants in recent seasons didn't sign up for the game; they were recruited. 10 out of the 18 contestants in RI were from Southern California, and that didn't happen by accident. They may not be big fans of Survivor but they were able to take a few weeks off to try to win a million dollars.

- Kristina Kell, a 46-year-old law student from Malibu, CA
- Grant Mattos, a 29-year-old yoga instructor and former NFL football player from West Hollywood, CA
- Phillip Sheppard, a 52-year-old technology executive and former federal agent from Santa Monica, CA
- Natalie Tenerelli, a 19-year-old professional dancer from Acton, CA
- Mike Chiesl, a 31-year-old former U.S. Marine from Del Mar, CA
- David Murphy, a 31-year-old defense attorney from West Hollywood, CA
- Stephanie Valencia, a 25-year-old waitress from Long Beach, CA
- Sarita White, a 36-year-old visual effects producer from Santa Monica, CA
- Julie Wolfe, a 50-year-old firefighter from Oceanside, CA
- Steve Wright, a 51-year-old former NFL player from Huntington, CA

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks