What's new

The Official Star Trek Music Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was curiously looking at the 2009 Star Trek film score and see the 2 CD deluxe edition that is the full score is out of print. I didn't realize or didn't pay attention it was a limited 5000 unit run. I sort of wanted to add it to the collection. But it's selling at very high prices now, oh well. I hope one shows up. Or Varèse Sarabande reissues it. Anyone know if this is the case for the 50th Anniversary? I doubted it.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I was curiously looking at the 2009 Star Trek film score and see the 2 CD deluxe edition that is the full score is out of print. I didn't realize or didn't pay attention it was a limited 5000 unit run. I sort of wanted to add it to the collection. But it's selling at very high prices now, oh well. I hope one shows up. Or Varèse Sarabande reissues it. Anyone know if this is the case for the 50th Anniversary? I doubted it.
Maybe Intrada might do something? They reissued La La Land's Star Trek V went that OOP.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Neil. Well, if one wants that full 2 CD set, it's either eBay or Varése reissues it. If they have the score in perpetuity, then I'd think they'd want to exploit it.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I have been listening to LLL's outstanding 4-disc collection of Deep Space Nine music and loving it even more. There are wonderful themes and rousing action pieces that I adore. Jay Chattaway's contributions have been standing out to me more than ever as well. I can't wait for LLL to release more of this, and Voyager too!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Rub it in Lou! :)

Neil, thanks for the reminder. I haven't been as excited by the 24th Century series music because of the Berman rule for the music to not draw attention to itself, or however he described it. But I am curious now to get that set. Hope it's still available.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Rub it in Lou! :)

Neil, thanks for the reminder. I haven't been as excited by the 24th Century series music because of the Berman rule for the music to not draw attention to itself, or however he described it. But I am curious now to get that set. Hope it's still available.

Nelson - it's still available :)
http://www.lalalandrecords.com/Site/DS9.html

They have some terrific sound samples up on their site too. I was going to list which samples I thought you should check out, but they are all so good (one sample you will recognize as borrowed and expanded by Dennis McCarthy from his score to Star Trek: Generations).

I will say that some of the themes are undercurrents that, having watched the show a few times, and spun the discs now a number of times, I am very familiar with - but first listens don't always reveal the excellence that DS9's scores were able to achieve. The music for Ferengi themed episodes are typically a lot of fun - and in TOS days would have been scored like the Mudd episodes. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
''Alright Jonesy you sold me."

Thanks Neil for the link. I do hear some Generations in the first track and it has a bigness to it. I also checked out the two volumes of the Star Trek TNG sets, I'll probably regret not collecting all these.

I did skip on that Ron Jones set of TNG music.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well Neil, I went nuts and ordered the DS9 set as well as the two volumes of TNG and the Enterprise set. :)

They were all on my to do list. But I wasn't as in a hurry on the TNG sets because of that Rick Berman mandate of music being like a wall of sound and not something that helped to drive the scenes.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well Neil, I went nuts and ordered the DS9 set as well as the two volumes of TNG and the Enterprise set. :)

They were all on my to do list. But I wasn't as in a hurry on the TNG sets because of that Rick Berman mandate of music being like a wall of sound and not something that helped to drive the scenes.

Later seasons, yes. But the early stuff (like the Ron Jones music) is really interesting to listen to. One of my fave episode scores (outside of BoBW) is The Defector. Take a listen to that in the Ron Jones boxset, Nelson.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss

You will NOT be disappointed:)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Neil, I better not be! ;) Thanks for the positive notes on the DS9 set. I'll be looking forward to listening to it.

Jason, I don't have the Ron Jones set. When it was released, it was pricey and I wasn't sure it was something I'd enjoy. But I wasn't fully aware of what episodes he scored. The Defector is one of my favorite episodes. I just sampled a track on YouTube from that episode. ( No doubt that makes Lukas upset. I recall how mad he was at people who were making that set available for free on the web. ) The Enemy is also a favorite episode introducing Tomalak. There's a lot of good episodes that season and if Jones had scored many of those, then I recall some good music. You've probably cost me another chunk of cash! :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Jason for the enthusiastic recommendation, the word is yes! I've placed the order. The TOS set was well worth the money. So I hope to enjoy these sets as much.

If Neil S Bulk is still reading, Dances with Wolves is a soundtrack I saw that you're involved with in a new 2 CD set. Sorry to go off topic a bit. I think it's one of John Berry's best scores. I only have the 1990 release, so this was interesting news to read that there is a new release. I just tried to order it along with the Ron Jones set, but it said pre-order. The La La Land site says its out now. At any rate, it's a set I'll want to grab. I still hope you get to work on the entire Bond film series scores.

The buffalo hunt track is quite exciting! And I can hear Berry uses similar large open compositions as he does on the Bond films. I hope it sounds great!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Thanks Jason for the enthusiastic recommendation, the word is yes! I've placed the order. The TOS set was well worth the money. So I hope to enjoy these sets as much.

If Neil S Bulk is still reading, Dances with Wolves is a soundtrack I saw that you're involved with in a new 2 CD set. Sorry to go off topic a bit. I think it's one of John Berry's best scores. I only have the 1990 release, so this was interesting news to read that there is a new release. I just tried to order it along with the Ron Jones set, but it said pre-order. The La La Land site says its out now. At any rate, it's a set I'll want to grab. I still hope you get to work on the entire Bond film series scores.

The buffalo hunt track is quite exciting! And I can hear Berry uses similar large open compositions as he does on the Bond films. I hope it sounds great!

Count me in for the bond scores!!!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Thanks Neil, I better not be! ;) Thanks for the positive notes on the DS9 set. I'll be looking forward to listening to it.

Jason, I don't have the Ron Jones set. When it was released, it was pricey and I wasn't sure it was something I'd enjoy. But I wasn't fully aware of what episodes he scored. The Defector is one of my favorite episodes. I just sampled a track on YouTube from that episode. ( No doubt that makes Lukas upset. I recall how mad he was at people who were making that set available for free on the web. ) The Enemy is also a favorite episode introducing Tomalak. There's a lot of good episodes that season and if Jones had scored many of those, then I recall some good music. You've probably cost me another chunk of cash! :)
Well Ron did become legendary for the most famous non-Doctor Who Cliffhanger sting of all time...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks