What's new

The Official Star Trek Music Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Per the LaLaLand Facebook page (buried in the comments), a Voyager release is coming. I think we all knew that unofficially, but it's confirmed now.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I saw that the other day on Facebook. Awesome art and if I had a turntable we used with any regularity, I'd probably bite. But I just can't justify a vinyl version of the CD set already on the shelf.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Jason_V said:
I saw that the other day on Facebook. Awesome art and if I had a turntable we used with any regularity, I'd probably bite. But I just can't justify a vinyl version of the CD set already on the shelf.
Agreed. The art is really cool. Very tempting!!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Mine arrived today and it's an autographed copy.

IMG_2763.JPG

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Voyager should be summer-ish. The Best Of didn't have a timeframe.

I'm also assuming a Star Trek Beyond release in the summer to coincide with the new movie. And the obligatory expanded release thereafter.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I forgot to mention this the other week.. I saw the Star Trek: Ultimate Voyage orchestral show when it was in NYC on March 5th.

Let me get the one negative comment out of the way first. There's no delicate way to say this, but...the video component sucked. They had a giant screen, but they played moments from all of the series and movies with no rhyme or reason, with the mood of the clips shown frequently being a bad mismatch for the music. (Jerry Goldsmith's majestic score for the Enterprise reveal in TMP was accompanied by footage from the "Enterprise" TV show credits. Maybe on paper that sounded clever but it doesn't work.) Mostly it felt like someone put a bunch of clips on a playlist and hit "shuffle". Many video clips were repeated too.

That said, the video isn't really the point. It would have been better if it matched better, but oh well.

On the other hand, the orchestra was fantastic. They beautifully played both familiar and more obscure score tracks. There didn't seem to be a particular order to the music selections but everything flowed. Jerry Goldsmith's various Star Trek themes were astonishingly beautiful, particularly the TMP music and the First Contact theme. The First Contact performance was a real highlight, it's always been one of my favorite bits of Trek music and they played a gorgeous rendition. Dennis McCarthy's theme from Generations was also wonderful. Only one piece of Giacchino's reboot score was played, the piece from when Kirk and McCoy are first flown on the shuttle to the Enterprise (and also excerpted during the opening title card in both reboot films) - it's one of my favorite of the new cues and I was happy to hear it. They performed for two hours, with a twenty minute intermission. I didn't check out any of the merch so no idea what they had.

So if you've got a chance to see this show, I wholeheartedly recommend it. I'd just suggest going for the lesser priced tickets that don't have the best screen view, since you wouldn't be missing much there. I really liked that they played a bunch of Trek music instead of just doing one movie. I have seen some performances of classic movies with an orchestra playing the score live, and it's great for the music but less than ideal for immersion in the movie. This format with music from a variety of Trek sources worked better for me.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I forgot to mention this the other week.. I saw the Star Trek: Ultimate Voyage orchestral show when it was in NYC on March 5th.

Let me get the one negative comment out of the way first. There's no delicate way to say this, but...the video component sucked. They had a giant screen, but they played moments from all of the series and movies with no rhyme or reason, with the mood of the clips shown frequently being a bad mismatch for the music. (Jerry Goldsmith's majestic score for the Enterprise reveal in TMP was accompanied by footage from the "Enterprise" TV show credits. Maybe on paper that sounded clever but it doesn't work.) Mostly it felt like someone put a bunch of clips on a playlist and hit "shuffle". Many video clips were repeated too.

That said, the video isn't really the point. It would have been better if it matched better, but oh well.

On the other hand, the orchestra was fantastic. They beautifully played both familiar and more obscure score tracks. There didn't seem to be a particular order to the music selections but everything flowed. Jerry Goldsmith's various Star Trek themes were astonishingly beautiful, particularly the TMP music and the First Contact theme. The First Contact performance was a real highlight, it's always been one of my favorite bits of Trek music and they played a gorgeous rendition. Dennis McCarthy's theme from Generations was also wonderful. Only one piece of Giacchino's reboot score was played, the piece from when Kirk and McCoy are first flown on the shuttle to the Enterprise (and also excerpted during the opening title card in both reboot films) - it's one of my favorite of the new cues and I was happy to hear it. They performed for two hours, with a twenty minute intermission. I didn't check out any of the merch so no idea what they had.

So if you've got a chance to see this show, I wholeheartedly recommend it. I'd just suggest going for the lesser priced tickets that don't have the best screen view, since you wouldn't be missing much there. I really liked that they played a bunch of Trek music instead of just doing one movie. I have seen some performances of classic movies with an orchestra playing the score live, and it's great for the music but less than ideal for immersion in the movie. This format with music from a variety of Trek sources worked better for me.

Great review! I missed the show here in Atlanta. Would've liked to go.
Oh well.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Has anyone preordered the Star Trek beyond score?
I'm looking forward to the new score and some new themes as well.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Has anyone preordered the Star Trek beyond score?
I'm looking forward to the new score and some new themes as well.

I haven't. I think I will eventually end up with the score, but I will probably wait until after I see the movie. If I leave the theater with any new themes stuck in my head, I'll get it that night, otherwise I'll wait for the inevitable deluxe reissue. Both the reboot movies had 2CD sets come out a year after the single CD. I double dipped on both of those, but this time I think I'll be content to wait.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I haven't. I think I will eventually end up with the score, but I will probably wait until after I see the movie. If I leave the theater with any new themes stuck in my head, I'll get it that night, otherwise I'll wait for the inevitable deluxe reissue. Both the reboot movies had 2CD sets come out a year after the single CD. I double dipped on both of those, but this time I think I'll be content to wait.

Makes sense. I never bought the deluxe ones for the JJ films. Just the standard was good enough for me. I listen to the tos scores much more. I actually forgot that into darkness had a deluxe release too!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Thanks for the reviews of the concert, guys. I keep seeing the ad show up on Facebook, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Part of me wants to...and another part says that's money that can be used for something else. (The price tag isn't going to break the budget, for the record.)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thanks for the reviews of the concert, guys. I keep seeing the ad show up on Facebook, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Part of me wants to...and another part says that's money that can be used for something else. (The price tag isn't going to break the budget, for the record.)

That's where I was. The show went onsale something like nine months before the concert, but I only committed to going a couple weeks beforehand. I'm really glad I went.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks