What's new

The Official Star Trek Music Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Batman was certainly a phenomenon at the time! And I'm just beginning to get the joke. Jason, I had imported each disc into iTunes too. At the time I was trying to figure out a way to organize it too. But in the end, I left each disc as a separate album. So on my iPod, they are 15 albums and I know there's 5 albums per season. In my car, with the iPod connected, I can pick albums and just select the one I want to listen to. Pretty cool! At home, I either play through the Mac to the hi-fi or via the iPod to my older audio system in my home office. I had hoped there was a way to place all 15 albums in a folder that could be named Star Trek TOS Soundtrack set. But it seemed too hard.For Star Trek The Motion Picture, the La La Land 3 disc release, I managed to import all three discs and name it as one long album. That worked out great. I could try it again for the TOS discs. I think the trick there was using Gracenotes that numbered each track in chronological order as in each disc. So disc two and three each track is numbered consecutively from disc one. Also in iTunes, you have to tell it the track or album is part of a compilation. I didn't think I tried that for TOS.Gracenotes lists each TOS discs separately. So the numbering of tracks only goes per disc.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I put them in as fifteen separate albums and then also created a playlist in which I put all the tracks from all the albums. If I am in a name-that-tune, shuffling mood, I use the playlist. Otherwise, I have the separate discs for easy access to particular episodes or tracks.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Thanks guys. There's a lot of stuff to like about iTunes, but it's also very imperfect. Right now, I have 15 different discs in the playlist and they're not in any kind of order. Same with every other multi-disc set I own.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Mine always stay in the order I put them into the playlist. So in this case, I put the 15 discs into it in order and the tracks in the playlist go from the first track of Disc 1 to the last track of Disc 15. Yours just becomes random?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Yeah, I like to use Cover View and not the List View (those stay in order).

Cover view shows Season 1 Disc 1, Disc 2 and Disc 3...followed by Season 2 Disc 3...and then Season 3 Disc 2. I've never understood this with iTunes.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
FanCollector said:
Yes, it seems the whole country was watching Bewitched. Did you catch some of those first season episodes during summer reruns? You mentioned the promotion of The City on the Edge of Forever; I know it was the first episode to receive a TV Guide Close Up. Did NBC do a lot of on-air promotion for the episode? Did you have the sense that they treated that episode differently? That they knew it was special? Or were you especially interested because of the time travel aspect?
I just couldn't abandon BEWITCHED. It was among the top shows each week and really had captivated America - and fall 1966 was the time it first went to color. So after investing two black & white years in the show and really loving it, having it go color was a really big deal.

STAR TREK was just the new kid on the block. It hadn't yet earned enough respect to be the default show in its time slot. Back then we hoped that networks would move competing shows that we liked out of the way. There was little option other than waiting for reruns.

On the night of "City On The Edge Of Forever", I'd looked at the TV page in the Philadelphia Evening Bulletin which mentioned STAR TREK in its recommended viewing stating, "Fans of THE TIME TUNNEL will want to check out tonight's STAR TREK as Capt. Kirk and Mr. Spock travel back in time to Earth in the 1930's".

Well that was all I needed, comparing the show to THE TIME TUNNEL. I don't really remember the TV Guide Close-up and I read that magazine religiously. My only explanation is that because I'd all but given up on STAR TREK, I didn't bother to read that close-up. I'm also guessing that I read it in retrospect after viewing the episode.

Our house was generally a "CBS" house, where we tended to default to viewing whatever was on that network on any given night. Of course we varied off to see things like BEWITCHED and THE TIME TUNNEL on ABC, but we rarely strayed over to NBC. Don't know why - it's just the way it was. We got equal reception on all channels. But I think my parents preferred the 11 PM news on the CBS affiliate, and in those days before remotes, you tended to put on a channel and stick with it rather than get up from your seat to change channels. So I don't recall any special advertising that NBC might have done. My guess is that they gave it the normal amount of voiceovers on end credits and maybe a filmed trailer or two.

Fun memories - and it seems like just yesterday. I can still feel the harshness of our summer straw carpeting...

Harry

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Harry,We may have had this discussion in part before. I seem to recall either you or perhaps another poster mentioning that theirs was a CBS house growing up. Ours was a CBS house first and an NBC house second, but almost never an ABC house. As a child at the time I gravitated toward ABC since so many of my favorite shows were on that channel at the time.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I think you mentioned it in the Mannix discussion thread also, Harry. Even by the late 60s, ABC had less coverage around the country than the other two networks, so Bewitched's ratings success was especially impressive, as it was operating under a minor handicap. If you were going to be drawn back to Star Trek, I think The City on the Edge of Forever was a pretty good episode for your return! I wasn't really aware of them before this second Marc Cushman book, but apparently there were syndicated TV review columns that ran in papers all around the country. He quotes frequently from two of them that mentioned Star Trek a lot.Your excitement about a favorite show returning in color when everything in primetime went all color in '66 underscores my amazement that the majority of viewers at the time were seeing Star Trek in black and white. It's hard to picture it that way, but statistically that's how most people watched it at the time. (Batman was mentioned earlier and the idea of that one in black and white blows my mind even more!) Don't misunderstand-- I love black and white and would never want to watch black and white programming in color. But shows that were so clearly conceived and shot for color seem out of place in black and white.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I just made a rather big order from Amazon and GNP. From GNP: Generations Expanded and Encounter at Farpoint/Arsenal of Freedom. From Amazon: Voyager ("Caretaker"), DS9 ("Emissary") and TNG (Volume III and Volume IV). That only leaves five soundtracks outstanding: Enterprise ("Broken Bow"), Nemesis Expanded, Ron Jones Project, Trek 09 Deluxe (this is going to be hard to find) and Into Darkness.

I could technically also get the original Encounter at Farpoint and Best of Both Worlds discs, but I don't know yet.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That's a great haul Jason! That reminds me, back in 2002, I was laid off my job of many, many years. A real blow to me because it was my first job and I was loyal to a fault. And to add insult to injury, among other lay offs in the company, I had to make mine look like I was leaving on my own probably because I was the longest employed employee there and I was given a party and I was given a CD of Broken Bow and the first iPod. I haven't listened to the disc except once at the party as it represents an unhappy experience. I'm glad I still have it and the iPod. Pardon my recalling the darkest time in my life.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Always feel free to share, Nelson! You can look back on that time now as a (hopefully) learning experience for you! Lay offs are never easy...been through it twice, but no party. :) You're a better man for it now!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Jason, definitely a learning experience. It's taken me till recently to get over it. Yet I'm still bitter towards certain individuals. But now, I treat the job as a job now that I'm not part of a family that company used to be before it grew into a bigger entity with corporate part ownership and it's soulless business attitude.I forgot about that Enterprise CD till you mentioned it. I think I could listen to it now!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Nelson Au said:
Jason, definitely a learning experience. It's taken me till recently to get over it. Yet I'm still bitter towards certain individuals. But now, I treat the job as a job now that I'm not part of a family that company used to be before it grew into a bigger entity with corporate part ownership and it's soulless business attitude.I forgot about that Enterprise CD till you mentioned it. I think I could listen to it now!
Great post. I've been on a similar road in myself. I'm learning how to forgive and release it all by deciding to do so. : )

I listened through the TMP soundtrack yesterday. Man, I cannot say enough about how great that collection is!!!

Wrath of Khan may be up next for me today.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I managed to work through the Balance of Terror disc today with some new headphones. Aside from Amok Time, BoT may be some of my favorite TOS music. The Romulan Theme in particular carries an aggressive edge in my mind, with a bit of adventure and the TOS bravado.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Listened to Wrath of Khan last night. I listened to the LP of that one so many times growing up. It's way up there for me and I love having the expanded cd with the additional music cues.

Listening to Search for Spock at the moment.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
WoK is classic...big battle music, an earnestness and sense of urgency through most of the score. My only fault with it (and I'm being nitpicky) is I hear a lot of it in the Krull soundtrack. Or, maybe more accurately, vice versa.

Krull is a favorite movie of mine, too. They're just way too similar to me.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I listened through The Search for Spock yesterday. I really enjoy those 2 Horner soundtracks. Elements of TSFS soundtrack can be heard in Aliens too. I think Horner was in a rush on the Aliens soundtrack and reused music?

Anyway. The 2 Horner Trek scores are great ones!

I also gave Into Darkness another listen as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks