What's new

The Official Star Trek Music Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Mark_TB

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Neil Middlemiss
Has anyone received their Ron Jones box yet? I am hoping mine will ship soon.
I think they just started shipping, Neil. I noticed my order has a tracking number, but there is no info for it yet at the USPS site. But I do hope to have it soon!

-Mark

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Thanks Mark - I did indeed get my shipping notice...Looks like I am in for a a few weeks of reading and listening to some great Ron Jones Star Trek music!

Mark_TB

Second Unit
I've been gradually reading the extensive online notes for this set, but all it's done is make me more impatient! Should be an incredible treat.

- Mark

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
My Ron Jones Project collection arrived last weekend and the wealth of music - all of which is superb - is a mountain to work through. What a terrific set for fans of Ron Jones, fans of Star Trek music, or just fans of great score music. Some of the opening track music for episodes is similar to each other, but the variance in styles is a treat and the quality is high throughout!

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
The label behind the box set, Film Score Monthly, is on a massive tirade against internet piracy after it was discovered that a file sharing forum put the entire box set online for sharing.

Originally, the label's founder said he quit FSM and was done, but revised his understandable frustration a little, and the troops so to speak are being rallied for war.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the heads up Martin. That is very uncool.

I've been on the fence with this set, at first I was going to pick it up. But it's a pricey set and I prefer TOS music. Jones did do some pretty good scores for TNG before Berman put a hold on his work. I may be tipped over now to support FSM. They've put out a lot of cool stuff.

Mark_TB

Second Unit
I've been slowly working my way through this set -- I'm up to the seventh disc now. I wanted to take my time and savor each disc, as well as avoid getting burned out overall. I don't think I needed to worry, though, since I've been pleasantly surprised by the diversity of the scores represented here. I'll admit that I was a bit apprehensive before the set arrived, fearing a possible "buyer's remorse," but I have absolutely no regrets. Awesome set.

A few comments: I was surprised by how well I could recognize the episodes by their music alone. (Also, I had seen each episode of the first three or so seasons probably half-a-dozen times. What can I say? Back when they originally aired, I was a die-hard Trekkie who needed his constant fix!) Jones was definitely not adhering to the "sonic wallpaper" dictates of the producers.

I was also surprised (again!) by the prominent use of both Alexander Courage's original theme and Jerry Goldsmith's theme from The Motion Picture in the first season or two, and at how well Jones integrated them into his own work. Very well done.

Not much more I have to say right now except that I highly recommend it. Yes, the price is steep, but it's well worth it.

- Mark

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Star Trek - The Motion Picture is coming from La-La Land Records on June 5. There will be an event on June 4 celebrating the release of this album.

http://trekmovie.com/2012/05/18/exclusive-track-listing-details-for-star-trek-tmp-complete-score-bts-video/

http://trekmovie.com/2012/05/17/3-cd-star-trek-the-motion-picture-complete-score-coming-in-june-hollywood-launch-eventscreening/

Neil

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Neil S. Bulk said:
I simply cannot wait for this release. June 5 is my birthday and so it is even more terrific a release. When I did a brief stint at BBC radio Solent, I took the LP release of Star Trek: TMP and Alien home for the weekend (borrowing from the massive library of vinyl that the station had) and those two scores have been in my Top 10 of all time since.
I can't say it enough, La-La Land Records are simply unbeatable these days. Bravo!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
As far as I can tell, the only way to buy this release is via the Film Score Monthly site's store. Or through La-La Land. It's shown as a 10,000 unit run.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I picked up the set yesterday at the Arclight. $30 cash and 3 CDs were in my car stereo. I haven't dared listen to the Shaun Cassidy or disco versions of the music yet...

There's also one odd question I have, that maybe I'm not paying enough attention to here.

I thought there was a third time in the movie where the TV theme was played - at the beginning of the scene of Decker and Ilia on the Rec deck. I'm not seeing or hearing it on this set. Was this a replay of one of the earlier cues?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That's interesting, I thought the Star Trek fanfare is heard only once, after the Enterprise leaves spacedock and Kirk is doing the Captains log.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Just confirmed it on the Director's Edition DVD, and rechecked it in The Music of Star Trek book.

There are three appearances of the TV theme in the score of TMP, each underscoring a Captain's Log.

The first one happens before the wormhole. (0:19)

The second one happens when Spock has fixed the warp drive and there's another Captain's Log update. (0:35)

The third one is the final Captain's Log, happening after the Ilia probe has been examined and torn her way into the closet. After Spock's line "I am concerned with that being our only means of...", the theme comes back in and goes over the third log. The third one sounds like it's really just the second one repeated, which would explain why it's not a separate cut on the CD before "Games". (0:36) Given how close the timing is, it sounds like Goldsmith just re-used the 2nd cue and let it go on a second longer.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I'm surprised I missed those two other times the fanfare was used! I hope I can get my copy soon.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I don't mean to change the subject from the new disc set (I am anxiously awaiting Mr. Postman), but I am wondering how people feel about the re-recordings of the scores for TOS in hi-def. I personally think they sound great. My one disappointment is that there is a not a music-only track option. It is about the only deluxe feature not available on the TOS blu-ray set. That being said, as a second choice I would love CD releases of the re-recordings. (I apologize if this was discussed in another thread but I did not find it by searching.)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
You'll find there are several of us who would like nothing more then the original TOS scores. The ones out now from various episodes and the one disc with The Doomsday Machine and Amok Time are great!
And the re-recordings from label X from 1986 are also terrific, but they are recreations.
And by the way, it's great Star Trek The Motion Picture is getting the love it deserves. While I know Leonard Nimoy himself is not pleased with the film, that it lacks what makes Star Trek, Star Trek, it's still a cool entry.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,
And the score for the first film is astonishing on a number of levels. :)
Count me in for a complete set of TOS music recordings. I'd prefer the originals if possible, since for me they capture the mood of the episodes much more precisely than recreations or similar (as opposed to identical) arrangements. There is something about the sound world of the originals that is quite ethereal, and which IMO cannot be reproduced no matter how faithfully one tries to accomplish it. I hope the original scores are one day released in their entirety.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Ockeghem said:
Nelson,
And the score for the first film is astonishing on a number of levels. :)
Count me in for a complete set of TOS music recordings. I'd prefer the originals if possible, since for me they capture the mood of the episodes much more precisely than recreations or similar (as opposed to identical) arrangements. There is something about the sound world of the originals that is quite ethereal, and which IMO cannot be reproduced no matter how faithfully one tries to accomplish it. I hope the original scores are one day released in their entirety.
So do you feel they "missed the boat" on re-recording the scores for the hi-def versions on blu-ray? Or are you talking about the symphonic re-recordings expressly for CD?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
KPmusmag said:
So do you feel they "missed the boat" on re-recording the scores for the hi-def versions on blu-ray? Or are you talking about the symphonic re-recordings expressly for CD?
Kevin,
Hi. I'm speaking of the CD recordings. I don't yet own anything on blu-ray, so I have no idea what those recordings are like or how they sound. Are the blu-ray recordings you mention the original recordings -- that is to say, the exact same music one hears when watching the TOS episodes?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks