What's new

The Official Star Trek Music Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Osato said:
I saw a few minutes of Return of the Archons on MeTv tonight.No love for Jerry Goldsmith's Star Trek Insurrection score or the reissue coming up on Tuesday?I think its a great score personally..
I love this score. My order was placed with GNP a short while ago but the darn thing still hasn't shipped. I wanted to do a review on it but I'm running out of time!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I've recently been on a hunt for the remaining Star Trek scores I don't have from Goldsmith. There was a dual SACD CD disc of Nemesis I was curious about. But missed out. That plus Insurrection should finish off the hunt I think. Though I may get Generations even though I'm not a fan of McCarthy's work. It was okay.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,I watched Journey to Babel last night, and picked up on a very short snippet of "New Capellan In Town" right at the point where Amanda and Sarak are 'kissing' in their guest quarters. It's right about the time that Amanda says, "Not really, but it doesn't matter. I love you anyway." It was kind of neat hearing that melodic excerpt even for such a short time.

And the night before last, my oldest daughter, who gets out of work late (which is about the time that I watch my nightly viewing of at least one episode of TOS), watched The Return of the Archons with me. After about forty-five years of watching TOS, I would have to rate that episode in my top five all-time favorite episodes of TOS.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
OK, I know we avoid lists of favorites and episode reviews for lots of reasons here, but I just can't resist after that teaser from our longest-standing fan...what are the other episodes in your top five?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Lee,

With all due respect, I'm not willing to try to make up a list of my favorite episodes of TOS.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was going to risk being a Herbert and suggest that such an endeavor might be better placed in the trivia thread or Star Trek thread rather then the music thread?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Scott, about Journey to Babel and the music used. Made me think about how cool it is now to have the sound tracks, know the titles and be able to identify them. I know when I watch certain first season episodes and hear a snippet of the music used in one scene, I can associate it with another episode where it's used in another way.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

Agreed. It is such a treasure to own this collection. I watched This Side Of Paradise last night, and I can't begin to convey how appropriate (as Lee has said on a few occasions) the music created for earlier episodes is used in that gem.

Addendum to Lee: I thought I owed you a less terse explanation regarding your question above. The reason I am not willing to try to come up with a list of top-five TOS episodes is that frankly, I cannot. It is impossible for me to do so. I have tried this for years with Beatles albums, in which case it is slightly easier for me to do. And although (in the latter case) I always come back to the same six (LOL) albums -- with Rubber Soul and Revolver always in a tie in either second or third place occupying the first five positions -- those six albums with few exceptions frequently change places.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
"I was just trying to make conversation, Spock."No, I get it. As I said, we have all generally avoided those sorts of lists here. I only asked because you piqued my curiosity with your nod to Archons. Regardless of what else is on the list, I'm always warmed by the way you and your kids share Star Trek (and many other things).

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Has anyone picked up the expanded Insurrection score? I plan on picking it up very soon.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Nelson Au said:
I've recently been on a hunt for the remaining Star Trek scores I don't have from Goldsmith. There was a dual SACD CD disc of Nemesis I was curious about. But missed out. That plus Insurrection should finish off the hunt I think. Though I may get Generations even though I'm not a fan of McCarthy's work. It was okay.
Nelson - You may be able to find a used copy of the Nemesis SACD on Amazon?
I debated it when it was released and did not get a copy of it. I probably should too!

At any rate, I'm sure an expanded release of Nemesis will be on the way shortly?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
FanCollector said:
When will you receive the new Insurrection release? How expanded will this version be?
I have not placed my order yet, but will very shortly. I am waiting for GNP to list it on Amazon. They have done this with the other 2 TNG releases.

From the GNP website..

GNP Crescendo Records is proud to announce another volume in its continuing series of expanded Star TrekTM releases. Star Trek: Insurrection was the third of four movies to feature the characters of the 1987–1994 television series Star Trek: The Next Generation, and the fourth Star Trek feature scored by Jerry Goldsmith. Goldsmith had created a template for Trek films with his score for the first picture in the franchise, Robert Wise’s Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979). His subsequent scores for Star Trek V: The Final Frontier and Star Trek: First Contact (the latter co-composed with his son Joel) built on that foundation while expanding the musical horizons of the Star Trek universe.
Goldsmith retained many of the time-honored themes and effects of his previous Trek scores in Insurrection, fostering a sense of familiarity while at the same time giving the film a new identity. Because of the lovely romantic subplot, he wrote a score using, in his own words, “a much more melodic, romantic approach … almost operatic,” balancing the lyricism with several exciting militaristic action cues. This equilibrium, along with Goldsmith’s restraint in reusing his prior themes and his thoughtful approach to the film’s villains, makes Insurrection one of the most cohesive of the Star Trek movie scores.
GNP Crescendo’s new Expanded Collector’s Edition of Goldsmith’s complete score includes a half hour more music than the original 1998 CD, plus several alternates—for a total running time of over 79 minutes. The 16-page booklet, copiously illustrated with film stills, includes authoritative notes by Jeff Bond (author of The Music of Star Trek: Profiles in Style) and Lukas Kendall.A track-by-track analysis of the score and film by John Takis will be available online at gnpcrescendo.com/insurrection.

http://store.gnpcrescendo.com/new/product_info.php?products_id=231&osCsid=9dc7c35cb8402e271694e68d222cc5eb

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Neil Middlemiss said:
I love this score. My order was placed with GNP a short while ago but the darn thing still hasn't shipped. I wanted to do a review on it but I'm running out of time!
Hmm. I checked the website and noted that it is still on preorder. Perhaps the release was delayed a bit?
I have an email in to GNP Records and can let you know what I find out.

I've always liked the Insurrection score too. I think it may be my 3rd favorite of the Goldsmith scores. TMP, 5 and then Insurrection.

Nemesis has some good moments, even if I never cared for the film.

I've been listening to Into Darkness quite a bit this week. I wonder if they will issue an expanded version of that score.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Osato said:
Hmm. I checked the website and noted that it is still on preorder. Perhaps the release was delayed a bit?
I have an email in to GNP Records and can let you know what I find out.

I've always liked the Insurrection score too. I think it may be my 3rd favorite of the Goldsmith scores. TMP, 5 and then Insurrection.

Nemesis has some good moments, even if I never cared for the film.

I've been listening to Into Darkness quite a bit this week. I wonder if they will issue an expanded version of that score.
Well, I received a shipping notice a couple of days ago and it was delivered on Friday (quite quick!). I listened to it all yesterday morning playing with my son - a superb score. Since it has been a while since I listened to this score it wasn't immediately obvious what material was new (aside from one track), but the quality is very, very good. I have a stack of movies and TV to review this week but if I can find some quiet time I would really like to do a full review of this release.

And I think your list of score favourite Goldsmith scores mirrors mine (1, 5, 9)!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Neil Middlemiss said:
Well, I received a shipping notice a couple of days ago and it was delivered on Friday (quite quick!). I listened to it all yesterday morning playing with my son - a superb score. Since it has been a while since I listened to this score it wasn't immediately obvious what material was new (aside from one track), but the quality is very, very good. I have a stack of movies and TV to review this week but if I can find some quiet time I would really like to do a full review of this release.

And I think your list of score favourite Goldsmith scores mirrors mine (1, 5, 9)!
Very cool. I will be ordering it very soon.

Good to hear the audio is good on the new disc too. There appears to be about 30 minutes extra, including alternates. It will be interesting to hear the additional cues.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Osato said:
Should be in stock in about 4 days or so....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EIR56VE
I received mine about a week ago from Amazon. I was very impressed. It's nice to have the outtakes and the additional tracks all included now too.

Is there any news on Nemesis being expanded? Not sure how much is missing on that soundtrack.
I emailed Varese Sandeblade, but did not receive a reply.

The only film soundtrack that I have not picked up thus far is Star Trek 2009 limited edition, which is now OOP.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Osato said:
I received mine about a week ago from Amazon. I was very impressed. It's nice to have the outtakes and the additional tracks all included now too.

Is there any news on Nemesis being expanded? Not sure how much is missing on that soundtrack.
I emailed Varese Sandeblade, but did not receive a reply.

The only film soundtrack that I have not picked up thus far is Star Trek 2009 limited edition, which is now OOP.

I think an expanded Nemesis is inevitable and I very much look forward to it. It's a brooding score, low presence but with some effective tracks, particularly for the sequence at the end.

As for the 2009 expanded Star Trek score (for the reboot), I have it and I'm not sure you are missing too much. There were some choices by Varese in releasing that (stripping the choir from some tracks) that diminished the score some.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Neil Middlemiss said:
I think an expanded Nemesis is inevitable and I very much look forward to it. It's a brooding score, low presence but with some effective tracks, particularly for the sequence at the end.

As for the 2009 expanded Star Trek score (for the reboot), I have it and I'm not sure you are missing too much. There were some choices by Varese in releasing that (stripping the choir from some tracks) that diminished the score some.
Thanks for the post. I wonder if an expanded Nemesis will be out next year. I'll certainly pick it up as I have all of the other recent expanded soundtracks.

Very strange on the 2009 re issued score. Good to know that I am not missing too much on that one as well.

The audio on Insurrection is very good. I recently listened to the original release and I hear a lot more going on with different instruments in the expanded release.

Did the original release use alternate versions of the score for the soundtrack release?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks