The Official Star Trek Music Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music' started by Ockeghem, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    This is on my calendar and I am going to be sitting, patiently, waiting for 1 pm to roll around next week. Okay, so not patiently. Pins and needles...

2. Osato

Osato Producer

3. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Lee and Nelson,

I watched This Side Of Paradise a few nights ago, and realized that "2nd Ruth" is heard in its complete version in that episode during the closing dialogue with Leila and Spock. I assume that this is the same version included in season one, disc 4, track 34 of The Star Trek Soundtrack Collection. I don't know why I hadn't noticed this before, but I humbly beg forgiveness for my display of fallibility, and do hope that the cause was more than sufficient.

4. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    I knew it was played over the end, but hadn't noticed it was an uncut version as opposed to the uses earlier in the episode.

5. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

The scene was a gut wrenching one Scott, perhaps you were too into the story. I'll have to give that a listen.

Ockeghem likes this.
  6. bryan4999

bryan4999 Supporting Actor

Bryan Forbes
    I know this was addressed to Lee and Nelson, but may I just say:

Your impeccable musicality as well as your encyclopaedic knowledge of both music theory and Star Trek lore surely compensate for this one instance of wretched fallibility. :rolleyes:

Seriously, you are one of my heroes!

Ockeghem likes this.
  7. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Bryan,Thank you for the kind words. And might I add that the Star Trek Soundtrack Collection is truly amazing! :)

8. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    I strongly second Bryan's sentiment!

Ockeghem likes this.
  9. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I certainly could never hope to understand a fraction of Scott's musical knowledge!

Ockeghem likes this.
  10. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Lee,I agree. I am quite wretchedly fallible at times. ;)

11. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Nelson,

Indeed. I would appreciate such a talk. It is an interest of mine. ;) Seriously, you're very kind to say that, and I hope that I explain myself clearly when I write about music. :)

12. KPmusmag

KPmusmag Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Kevin Parcher
    Doggone it, Bryan said it first, but heck yeah!

In fact, I think it would be a worthwhile project for Scott to write a companion piece to the TOS soundtrack CD set with an essay on each track. Now that is a book I would buy! There is nothing like that in the vast array of Star Trek books, you should think it over...

Ockeghem likes this.
  13. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    KPmusmag,

Thank you. Interestingly, I have thought about that over the years. Not specifically about the Star Trek Soundtrack Collection (because it wasn't out when I first thought of this), but of TOS music in general. But there are two things at play. I'm currently working on a book on fifteenth-century music (I have a publishing contract for that one in waiting) as well as one other work that is a possibility (I have a literary agent for this book), although I am not yet sure about finishing that one. So my plate is full at the moment.

On a related note, I and two others on the HTF Board have had some preliminary discussions about possibly writing a less-esoteric Star Trek-related work, sections of which could include salient discussions of music. The more we thought that through, the more we concluded that such a work would have to be broadened in scope so as not to be too narrow for the general public. The discussions centered around what this expanded scope could/should include.Thank you again for your thoughts -- much appreciated. :)

14. Osato

Osato Producer

Any news on Nemesis and Insurrection re issue scores? Thanks!

15. Osato

Osato Producer

16. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
  17. Osato

Osato Producer

18. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  19. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
  20. Osato

Osato Producer

Star Trek Insurrection soundtrack reissue in August 2013 by GNP!!!!

http://store.gnpcrescendo.com/new/index.php

http://store.gnpcrescendo.com/new/product_info.php?products_id=231

NOW AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER!
    STAR TREK: INSURRECTION
    Expanded Collector's Edition
    [​IMG]
    GNP Crescendo Records is proud to announce another volume in its continuing series of expanded Star TrekTM releases. Star Trek: Insurrection was the third of four movies to feature the characters of the 1987–1994 television series Star Trek: The Next Generation, and the fourth Star Trek feature scored by Jerry Goldsmith. Goldsmith had created a template for Trek films with his score for the first picture in the franchise, Robert Wise’s Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979). His subsequent scores for Star Trek V: The Final Frontier and Star Trek: First Contact (the latter co-composed with his son Joel) built on that foundation while expanding the musical horizons of the Star Trek universe.
    Goldsmith retained many of the time-honored themes and effects of his previous Trek scores in Insurrection, fostering a sense of familiarity while at the same time giving the film a new identity. Because of the lovely romantic subplot, he wrote a score using, in his own words, “a much more melodic, romantic approach … almost operatic,” balancing the lyricism with several exciting militaristic action cues. This equilibrium, along with Goldsmith’s restraint in reusing his prior themes and his thoughtful approach to the film’s villains, makes Insurrection one of the most cohesive of the Star Trek movie scores.
    GNP Crescendo’s new Expanded Collector’s Edition of Goldsmith’s complete score includes a half hour more music than the original 1998 CD, plus several alternates—for a total running time of over 79 minutes. The 16-page booklet, copiously illustrated with film stills, includes authoritative notes by Jeff Bond (author of The Music of Star Trek: Profiles in Style) and Lukas Kendall.A track-by-track analysis of the score and film by John Takis will be available online at gnpcrescendo.com/insurrection.