What's new

The Official Star Trek Music Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Ockeghem said:
Lee, What is the FSM Board? I'm trying to get the acronym (and it's probably very obvious), but I'm not succeeding. Thanks.
Film Score Monthly. I'm not the music guy that some of you are but the quantity and quality of posts make it an amazingly useful board. I think you'll be in heaven. :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
TravisR said:
Film Score Monthly. I'm not the music guy that some of you are but the quantity and quality of posts make it an amazingly useful board. I think you'll be in heaven. :)
Travis, Many thanks. Duh. I knew I would find it obvious once I was told what it was! ;)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Thank you, Travis. Yes, it's Film Score Monthly and they have had some useful posts (I have quoted some) from the producers of the set.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
That's terrible about Gatsby, by the way, Bryan. It's a shame how the luck of the draw works out sometimes. Different studios have different policies about music replacement, and different publishers/estates have different policies about music use. Paramount and Irving Berlin is possibly the roughest combination of all.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
It's rather eye - and ear opening - to realize how much of the Charlie X music found it's way into other episodes. Does anyone know which episode's music was reused the most often? Really impressed with the previously unheard level of detail in some of these cues.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Good question. I don't know the answer. Charlie X is a good candidate because Steiner rerecorded it as library music every year. I'd say The Cage, The Enemy Within, and Friday's Child are way up there also.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Some good news for fans of the Deep Space Nine music (darker, more brooding show with music that keeps mostly in step with that). LLL has announced the following..
I'll give you guys a head's up on all things LLL:
Jan 29th
We will be releasing John Barry's mostly unused score to the 1977 Romantic Drama FIRST LOVE, starring William Katt and Susan Dey. This is a gorgeous Barry score in the great style of his 1970's period.
We will also be releasing the soundtrack to the new Motion Picture HANSEL AND GRETEL WITCH HUNTERS. I have to say, I am really happy with Atli Orvarsson's score. Beats the S*#% out of "Snow White" lol. Some really great stuff here.
Feb 12th
The MAIN "Heads up" I am giving you is for Feb 12 when we will be releasing our 4 cd set to STAR TREK DEEP SPACE 9. This bad boy will set you back $49.98, so save your pennies now.
Also, on that day, we will release Brian Tyler's score to the uber-cool JOHN DIES AT THE END.
A more detailed press release for all these titles will be forth-coming.
MV

I, for one, and very excited. The Original Series music may be the highest point, musically, for Star Trek in TV form, but the various series have a great deal going for them.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I almost jumped up and down when I read that, Neil! Excellent excellent excellent! I'm very very slowly working through The Ron Jones Project (LOVE a lot of the first season music) and will most certainly, 100% absolutely be getting the DS9 set.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I watched The Deadly Years last night, and noticed several times that the fugal subject (short form) that I discussed above relative to the track brought to my attention by Lee (season two, disc one, track 15 = "Racial Memories" / "Captain Kirk" / "Mace Fight") occurs throughout this episode. Since the fugal exposition occurs in Catspaw, I would not be surprised if the short form of the subject also occurs throughout that episode (as well as others) throughout season two in various isolated (or non-fugal) forms. In The Deadly Years the theme may be heard when Chekov first sees Alvin and when Scotty arrives in Sick Bay. You often hear it played by a solo instrument (clarinet, piano, tuba, etc.) as well as orchestrated for several instruments. The chromatic opening to the theme used in Catspaw consists of three notes (C / C-sharp / B). The contour of the three-note theme really does have a gravely austere quality about it (and feels very much like it begs for a 3/2 signature) and reminds me very much of a theme that might have been used by a Frescobaldi or a J. S. Bach for a ricercar. (I say 'contour' because chromatically, the entire opening fugal subject as heard in Catspaw consisting of several more notes would never have been used by either given the chromatic nature of the melody nor the harmonies that result from it once the answer and countersubjects have been introduced.) I cannot overestimate the ingenious workings of the multiple melodies heard in Catspaw. This is some serious polyphonic writing occurring here -- consisting of a contrapuntal prowess that beings like 'advanced Gwyllim," The Keepers, and the Metrons would envy. ;)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I cannot pretend to understand everything you said, but I think I understand some of the counterpoint or question/response you are describing. One of the ingenious ways it is used in Catspaw (for me) is in some of the quick transitions from Pyris VII to the Enterprise when both the action and the music blend from one to the other, with the music being related but different from one scene to the other.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Lee, I will have to watch Catspaw more often. I usually save that episode for one time per year, as you probably know. I almost forgot to mention this. It's actually the reason I watched The Deadly Years last night. That episode contains what I often use to refer to on various Trek Boards as the second most popular 'love theme' in TOS (after Ruth and Leila). I'm referring to the one that you hear the moment Kirk and Dr. Wallace are alone in the briefing room (after everyone else has left). This has also been a favorite of mine for many years. I actually have not listened to that track yet on the Soundtrack Collection, but I will certainly do so soon.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
FanCollector said:
It's the one from Mirror, Mirror, right?
Lee, Of course, I had to watch Mirror, Mirror last night to get you a better response to your question. ;) Yes, it's from Season two, disc 3, track 24 ("Pretty Marlena"). I've always associated it with Dr. Wallace. It's interesting how we as viewers do that for the music of TOS. I believe the segment is heard at least three times in the episode (different lengths, of course). By the way, the three-note figure that I've been writing about recently (Catspaw and The Deadly Years) also occurs in Mirror, Mirror repeatedly. I recall hearing it rather emphatically when Sulu is engaged in his 'apparently' speech.
Nelson Au said:
That's a very memorable track!
Nelson, Amen to that. I'll discuss the track at length another time. Right now, I'm just listening to it and letting it work its charm. It's another of those breathtaking works that is full of colorful instrumental subtleties.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Lee and Nelson, I edited my post above and responded to the both of you. Now it's back to more of the Soundtrack Collection for me. ;)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The other thing that always impresses me about the use of tracked music from earlier episodes or library cues is that the same music successfully underscores very different kinds of scenes. Obviously "Pretty Marlena" wasn't going to be repurposed for a fight scene, but the Kirk/Marlena scene and the Kirk/Janet Wallace scene are portraying very different relationships and emotions, and yet the music is well-suited to both.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Lee, Those are good points. If you happen to hear any other versions of "Pretty Marlena" in the Soundtrack Collection, please let me know. As I mentioned above, I have yet to listen to the entire collection, and I know that you have listened to the Soundtrack Collection in its entirety at least once. I tend to go through collections such as these (and composers' complete works) very methodically and often times slowly.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
They are all, as far as I recall, on that same disc. "Meet Marlena" and "Goodbye Marlena" are variations on the theme of course, and there is a short library version of "Meet Marlena" also included. The Kelinda stuff from By Any Other Name is a reworking of the Andrea music from What Are Little Girls Made Of, but it does sound like a distant cousin to the Marlena theme too. When you get to it, perhaps you can tell me why I think that, or if I'm just crazy.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
LA-LA LAND RECORDS PRESENTS
PRESS RELEASE: February 6, 2013
COMING FEB. 12th FROM LA-LA LAND RECORDS
STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE® COLLECTION
Burbank, CA -- La-La Land Records proudly announces its forthcoming release of STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE COLLECTION, a limited edition 4-CD soundtrack set that showcases musical highlights from episode scores as heard in all seven original seasons of the beloved sci-fi television series STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE (1993-1999). This special collection of music features more than five hours of incredible score, selected from some of the most acclaimed episodes of this enormously successful NEXT GENERATION spin-off. Limited to only 3,000 units, this special set will be released on Feb. 12, 2013, at www.lalalandrecords.com at 1pm (PST). The retail price will be $49.98.
STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION is licensed by CBS Consumer Products.
Star_Trek_DS9_coverEmail.jpg

Produced by Ford A. Thaxton, James Nelson, Mark Banning and Lukas Kendall, and mastered by James Nelson, this deluxe, limited-edition release chronicles its music on four CDs – The first disc features the music of composer Dennis McCarthy; the second disc features the music of composer Jay Chattaway; the third disc showcases music from “the new recruits,” composers John Debney, Richard Bell, Gregory Smith and Paul Baillargeon; and the fourth disc, entitled “The Lost Album,” contains an album assembly of material that was prepped by music producers and the composers for a soundtrack compilation that was never released. The set is complemented by a 36-page booklet that includes exclusive, in-depth liner notes from film music writer and Trek historian Jeff Bond.
La-La Land Records will be attending the GRAND SLAM – STAR TREK SCI-FI SUMMIT on Feb 15-17, 2013 in Burbank, CA. Come visit us and check out the DS9 soundtrack release, our TOS Original Series Box Set and more!
TRACK LISTING:
Disc One
Music by DENNIS?McCARTHY
1. STAR TREK: DEEP?SPACE?NINE
Main Title (Seasons 1–3)
Music by Dennis McCarthy
2. – 4. THE STORYTELLER 5. DUET
6. IN THE HANDS OF THE PROPHETS 7. THE HOMECOMING 8. – 9. THE CIRCLE 10. – 11. CROSSOVER 12. LIFE SUPPORT 13. – 15. THE?DIE IS CAST
16. – 18. EXPLORERS
19. THE VISITOR
20. SHATTERED MIRROR
21. ONCE MORE UNTO THE BREACH
22. FAR BEYOND THE STARS
23. – 24. YOU ARE CORDIALLY INVITED
25. STAR?TREK:?DEEP SPACE NINE?
End Credits (Seasons 1–3)
Music by Dennis McCarthy
Disc One – Total Time: 76:51

Disc Two Music by JAY CHATTAWAY
Main Title (Seasons 4–7)
Music by Dennis McCarthy
2. – 4. THE SEARCH – PART I 5. – 6. THE?SEARCH – PART II 7. – 8. BROKEN LINK
9. – 11. BY INFERNO’S LIGHT 12. – 15. CALL TO ARMS 16. ONE LITTLE SHIP 17. – 18. STRANGE BEDFELLOWS
19. – 20. THE CHANGING FACE OF EVIL
21. – 22. OUR MAN BASHIR (Source Cues)
23. STAR?TREK:?DEEP SPACE NINE
End Credits (Seasons 4–7)
Music by Dennis McCarthy
Disc Two – Total Time: 76:56

Disc Three Music by THE?NEW?RECRUITS
Main Title (Seasons 4–7, Alternate Mix)
Music by Dennis McCarthy 2. THE NAGUS – Music by John Debney
3. – 5. PROGRESS – Music by John Debney
6. THE HOUSE OF QUARK Music by Richard Bellis
7. THE SWORD OF KAHLESS
Music by David Bell
8. – 9. THE ASCENT – Music by David Bell
10. SOLDIERS OF THE EMPIRE
Music by David Bell
11. – 13. SACRIFICE OF ANGELS Music by David Bell
14. - 15. IN?THE?PALE?MOONLIGHT
Music by David Bell
16. TAKE ME OUT TO THE HOLOSUITE
Music by David Bell
17. COVENANT – Music by David Bell
18. TACKING INTO THE WIND
Music by David Bell
19. THE ASSIGNMENT
Music by Gregory Smith
20. – 21. FIELD OF FIRE – Music by Gregory Smith
22. LITTLE?GREEN?MEN Music by Paul Baillargeon
23. CHILDREN?OF?TIME Music by Paul Baillargeon
24. – 25. THE SIEGE OF AR-558
Music by Paul Baillargeon
26. STAR?TREK:?DEEP SPACE NINE
End Credits (Seasons 4–7, Alternate Mix)
Music by Dennis McCarthy
Disc Three – Total Time: 79:09

Disc FOUR THE LOST ALBUM
Main Title (Seasons 1 - 3, Without Effects)
Music by Dennis McCarthy 2. – 7. OUR?MAN?BASHIR Music by Jay Chattaway
8. – 15. TRIALS?AND?TRIBBLE-ATIONS
Music by Dennis McCarthy
16. – 24. WHAT?YOU?LEAVE?BEHIND Music by Dennis McCarthy
25. STAR TREK: DEEP?SPACE?NINE
(After 3:00 A.M. At Quark’s Mix)
Main Theme for Solo Piano Performed by Dennis McCarthy

Disc Four – Total Time: 76:51
Total Time – All Discs: 5:09:47

® & © 2013 CBS Studios Inc. STAR TREK and related marks are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks