What's new

***The Official Omnibus Consolidated IS WARNER ABANDONING SNAPPER CASES? Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
I don't mind snappers either. They still better than a lot of cheaply produced keepcases out there.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Why?
(1) for those shiny round thingies I find inside them
(2) I like the more sophisticated looking artwork better
(3) never had a scratched disk caused by a broken center hub
(4) the inside seems to protect the DVD better in general
(5) when plastic of one was slightly damaged by bad handling of package, replacing the plastic holder was easier than anything
(6) slighly better format (thinner, front better proportioned)
(7) gives me a nice feeling all over, don't know why.

If you handle them like you should a book (all my books are made of paper and cardboard, none of plastic; most of them still look like almost new), they stay beautiful.

Cees

Josh Sieg

Second Unit
One reason I hate snappers is it seems when DVDs were first made, movies were just thrown on a DVD without extras. I.E. Batman. They're just a constant reminder to me about the way DVD used to be.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
The snapper cases are manufactured by Ivy Hill, still owned by WB. The Cinram deal is for CD manufacturing and distribution only. Until WB sells Ivy Hill, snappers are probably here to stay. Rumor is that they eventually will sell the company, but I'd suspect even then that a long-term deal would remain for Ivy Hills new owners to supply snappers to WB. Hey folks, on the shelf who cares whether they're snappers, hard cases, triple fold, or whatever. I spend time watching the movie not looking at the boxes! :D

Bryant Frazer

Stunt Coordinator
No, Ivy Hill was purchased by Cinram as part of a package with WEA Manufacturing. My guess is the new six-year contract with Warner Home Video includes printing and packaging by Ivy Hill — thus ensuring a continued cash flow for this part of the business — but I'm not sure.

-bf-

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Oh, didnt know that. I suspect you're right. Ivy Hill needs that part of the business (along with their other package printing). Thanks for the info.

GarySchrock

Second Unit
In my opinion the one redeeming quality of the snapper is that it by far has the most superior hub. It's the one case style that I can be sure holds the disc securely, and yet yields it without a fight when I want to take the disc out. The rest of the case sucks. Give me a keepcase with that hub and I'd be a happy man.

Rob T

Screenwriter
The one thing that I really hate about the snappers is not really about the case it self, but those "security" stickers tend to tear off pieces of the cover once in a while and that kind pisses me off. It happened with my Gremlins snapper and now the s in Gremlins is missing a small bit! :angry: :frowning:

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
According to this info from thedigitalbits.com "Matrix Reloaded" will come in an Amray case.

DIE SNAPPER! DIE:D

William Waits

Stunt Coordinator
It is utterly amazing that Warner Brothers would have such discontent for its customers, but they show it time and time again.

Let's review the facts:

1) Warner themselves in interviews have indicated that they receive "their fair share" of complaints about snapper cases. (I don't have any URLs offhand, but a quick search on the Internet ought to find some...)

2) Columbia (I think it was them) received numerous complaints when it went in a co-sponsored boxed set of I think Stanley Kubrick films and they relented to use the snapper cases that Warner insisted on.

3) As far as "outsiders" go, Image has dumped snappers.

4) Also, Goodtimes has dumped snappers.

5) WB's parent, AOL WILL NOT use them.

6) WB's sister company New Line Cinema has dumped them.

7) WB's sister company HBO refuses to snappers infect their wares.

8) WB's distribution deal with the BBC has yet to yield a single snapper. I bet it is because they won't let it happen.

9) Austrailia went into such a uproar about snappers, that WB switched to keep-sake cases and offered free inserts for previous snapper-buyers who wanted to get replacement artwork so that they could get keep-sake cases. (I would LOVE for that to happen here, but Hell would have to freeze over a million times before THAT happens here in the states!)

10) Over half, if not most artworks that are downloaded or bought to be printed are snapper replacement artworks.

Snappers are an infection upon DVD-land. It is utterly amazing that WB would continuously agitate customers like that. Poor marketing, poor research, and a not caring attitude. Goes well with their image...

Bill

StevenW

Second Unit
(1) for those shiny round thingies I find inside them
(2) I like the more sophisticated looking artwork better
(3) never had a scratched disk caused by a broken center hub
(4) the inside seems to protect the DVD better in general
(5) when plastic of one was slightly damaged by bad handling of package, replacing the plastic holder was easier than anything
(6) slighly better format (thinner, front better proportioned)
(7) gives me a nice feeling all over, don't know why.

If you handle them like you should a book (all my books are made of paper and cardboard, none of plastic; most of them still look like almost new), they stay beautiful.
1. ? Keepcases have the shiny round thingies in them as well.
2. ? Artwork would be the same.
3. Whereas I have had TONS of disks fall out from the snapper hub. It definetly is not immune.
4. How does it protect it better. Both formats have the disk dangling high up on a hub.
5. lol. Sorry but it is MUCH easier to replace a keepcase. There are tons of stores in every city which carry blank keepcases. Not to mention that if something happens to the cardboard you are screwed. Not so with keepcases, just take the artwork out and put it in a new keepcase.
6. It is BARELY thinner and I dont know how it is better proportioned?
7. Keepcases give me a way better feeling...and I do know why.... The case doesnt feel as cheap as cardboard.

Sorry you havent sold me my man! ;)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
My main complaint with snappers is that they damage more easily than keepcases. That includes the hub.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
I will agree it's more important what's inside the case. That being said when, you're not watching the disc it has to be stored some place. Generally on a shelf. That's where I have a problem with snappers. Therefore, I have lovingly reproduced ALL snapper artwork for keepcases. Right now I estimate that number is around 400. Over 1100 DVD's on 17 44 inch shelves with another 13 shelves waiting to be used. NOT ONE DAMN SNAPPER on any of them. They look awesome sitting there all together without odd size cases sticking out. Technically you could say I don't have a problem with them cause all my snappers are in boxes in a closet.

[url=http://members.aol.com/nightdog35/spidey_smiley.gif] [/url]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks