Real Name
Sam Posten
What was THAT???
vdEo5QN.gif

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
So I was convinced by my kids. We adopted another one of our foster kitties. Meet Oreo she is a cute 4 month old. She had a degenerative knee issue that only had a slight chance to have a permeant fix. So it was decided that removing the leg was a better option. We now have 4 kitties from Seattle Humane. Which by the way Seattle Humane raise 4.3m Saturday night at Tuxes and Tails (http://www.seattlehumane.org/events/tuxes-and-tails). They have now raised over 27m toward the building everyone told them that they couldn't build (30m was the goal)(http://www.animalpeoplecan.org/project/).

12984066_10154741953474606_4995706318810859085_o.jpg

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
You're doing the right thing, Dave, adopting Oreo. When I first glanced at the photo I didn't catch the missing leg. She'll live a long and healthy life without it.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I have finally adopted a kitten. This is something which I have waited decades for, until after I owned a pet-friendly place (rather than the instability of renting). While I spent the last 2 years reading up and knowing the responsibilities involved, I am overcome with anxiety now. I cannot explain my reaction. I'm an ultra-independent person, and it is like suddenly having a baby totally reliant on me who cries all the time. I have only had her for a week, and I am hoping this is just an adjustment phase. I am playing with her before and after work and she sleeps on the bed. I can barely get any sleep because I'm not used to it and am afraid to move so I don't wake her. I cannot eat dinner because she wants to stick her head on the plate. (I tell my friends it is the "kitten diet".) Last night, I basically ate a bowl of rice while standing at the counter. She is a beautiful, friendly kitten (if overly talkative). It makes me feel like there's something wrong with me that I am filled with anxiety, not joy. I want to cry just writing this.

Do you think it is just an adjustment period or am I not cat mommy material? (I only had an outdoor cat as a child.)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Be kind to your cat. Pet her. Talk to her. Play with her regularly (get that kitty panting!). Feed her regularly.

Consider two cats: hopefully they will be companions.

Don't hit, slap or strike your cat to "discipline".

Don't have lilies in the house. Roses are ok, though.

But remember she's a cat and you're the person. Don't feed her people food. I didn't let our cats in the bedroom at night for the first four years; kittens are obnoxious sleeping companions.

But relax and enjoy. Cats are reasonably resilient. You'll be ok. She'll be ok. :)

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
To add to Dave's advice...

Daily pictures of the kitten are required by law. You may not have known this before having a kitten, but laws in every country require daily pictures. Without them the internet would stop. You wouldn't want to be responsible for ending the internet, would you? :rolling-smiley:

Seriously, while it may not seem like it now, cats are very independent. Before long she will have you trained and harmony will resume in your house.

Enjoy.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I have finally adopted a kitten. This is something which I have waited decades for, until after I owned a pet-friendly place (rather than the instability of renting). While I spent the last 2 years reading up and knowing the responsibilities involved, I am overcome with anxiety now. I cannot explain my reaction. I'm an ultra-independent person, and it is like suddenly having a baby totally reliant on me who cries all the time. I have only had her for a week, and I am hoping this is just an adjustment phase. I am playing with her before and after work and she sleeps on the bed. I can barely get any sleep because I'm not used to it and am afraid to move so I don't wake her. I cannot eat dinner because she wants to stick her head on the plate. (I tell my friends it is the "kitten diet".) Last night, I basically ate a bowl of rice while standing at the counter. She is a beautiful, friendly kitten (if overly talkative). It makes me feel like there's something wrong with me that I am filled with anxiety, not joy. I want to cry just writing this.

Do you think it is just an adjustment period or am I not cat mommy material? (I only had an outdoor cat as a child.)

So nice that you have such a friendly cat that interacts with you.

My cat, 18+ years old, is rarely seen, maybe twice a week, and only on her terms.

Virtually invisible, but food and water disappear, litter box is used, so she's somewhere in the house, alive and well.

Cherish the time with your cat, sounds like you got lucky and have a nice one.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I am playing with her before and after work and she sleeps on the bed. I can barely get any sleep because I'm not used to it and am afraid to move so I don't wake her. I cannot eat dinner because she wants to stick her head on the plate. (I tell my friends it is the "kitten diet".)

Cats will sleep any place in your home that makes them feel comfortable, or safe, or that gives them a good vantage point. This includes on your sofa, on your floor, stretched out on top of a hard wooden desk, on your bed, under the bed, and under a heavy comforter, right next to you.

If you are afraid that you will roll over on, or wake, the cat during the night, just evict her from the room. She may do a bunch of pitiful meowing at the door at first to try to restore her preferred sleeping arrangement, but she will get used to it.

With regards to her jumping on the table, you need to train this behavior out of her now, while she is still a kitten. Once she has grown up with the idea that she can get away with this, it will be harder to stop it. One thing you can do when you see her on the table, going after food, is to pick her up gently and place her on the floor. In time, she may learn that the behavior is unprofitable. Another is to get a water pistol (a regular one, not a "super soaker") and to use it on her when she cannot see you doing it. (The idea is for her to associate the punishment with the deed, rather than with you.)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
But, if you're not a pet person, it's best to learn that sooner than later. That way you can work with the adoption agency to re-home the kitten more easily. And both you and your kitten will be happier for it.

What makes me sad are friends who have cats, but don't want to be cat owners. So the cats are kept locked in the garage or basement. They get little interaction. No affection. No play. It's not good for cat nor human.

Better to be honest with yourself than have a terrible a 18 year relationship.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
But, if you're not a pet person, it's best to learn that sooner than later. That way you can work with the adoption agency to re-home the kitten more easily. And both you and your kitten will be happier for it.

What makes me sad are friends who have cats, but don't want to be cat owners. So the cats are kept locked in the garage or basement. They get little interaction. No affection. No play. It's not good for cat nor human.

Better to be honest with yourself than have a terrible a 18 year relationship.

But it's also a two way street. Like me, you could end up with a cat who doesn't want a human owner. No interaction, no affection, no play. With my cat, it's not good for me, but she's got a good home, I tolerate her, not going to toss her out on the street.
============================================================
Slight edit to this post:

Cat is 18+ and I hope she's nearing the end of her life, as awful as that sounds. Of course with my luck she'll live to 30. I'll give her the best care and keep her going, but she won't be missed.

I want to start over with a rescue kitty that is friendly and affectionate. I would love to have a cat like Elizabeth's.

I guess I really can't blame her. Got her and her brother from the same litter. They were wonderful, played in the yard, in the house, and were so friendly with me. The brother died at four years old, no warning, he just got really ill and passed away after a few months and several thousand dollars of vet care. Somewhere in this thread or on this forum I told the story, not sure how to find it.

Anyhow, she was never the same after her brother died, went into hibernation mode afterwards.

Thankfully I got a black lab six years ago, she's wonderful, almost to affectionate, always with me, sleeps and sits with me, or on me, drools constantly, but just adorable to have. We take walks, play in the park. She occasionally gets loose, slips out the gate or the front door, but she doesn't go anywhere. Her range is about three houses and she comes right back home.

Last edited:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
My wife saw me reading the Cat thread and asked what it was. I showed her he images. She LOL'd at this one. :)

OMG, that is amazing. That has never happened in my house. It's a battle just to clip my dog's nails.

Off topic, but it used to take me several days to cut my dog's nails. I could only do it when she was sleeping. I'd sneak up on her and clip two or three before she caught on. It's better now, but still not something she cares for.

What's so strange is after all I put up with, took her to a pet store, she stood perfectly still, and clip, clip, clip. Took maybe 20 seconds and she was done. I just gave her one of those "you f*****g bitch, how dare you" stares.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I myself couldn't sleep without my cats. One of my favorites, Squiggles, had a permanent nasal infection. She was constantly snotty and had a loud snore when sleeping. She liked to put her muzzle into my ear when she slept and it was like a mini-tornado in my ear. I grew to love and require that sound before I could sleep and when she died it was difficult to sleep without it for a while.

My advice to let your self go and accept the feline side of the force.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Thank you for your comments, guys!

I still have great anxiety. Slept about 2 hours last night. I did actually pick her up and put her in the living room, but felt bad and let her back in the bed. The foster mother had written that she likes to sleep on the bed, and I figured I would get used to it.

Kuri (chestnuts in Japanese, named by the foster mother but which I kept because it's cute), has quite comfortably made herself at home. She spooks occasionally and will hide under the couch or under the bed. She is uncanny -- she immediately knew she could hide under the kitchen cart when first brought home. It has a facing on 3 sides, but has a gap in the back which let her slide underneath. She stayed there for over 2 hours until I carefully rolled the cart outward. She immediately hid under the couch. Then she quickly found another safe hiding spot under the bed -- it is a wooden frame with slats holding the mattress which allows for 2 slide in drawers. She somehow found a wide enough opening to crawl into the drawers on top of my books. She still goes there, especially when I'm using the hair dryer.

About the 2nd day, I couldn't find her for 30 minutes. I panicked but finally found her in a small gap between a storage cabinet and the wall. Coaxed her out with food and blocked that opening. Also blocked behind the headboard because she fell in the gap between it and the wall.

Amazing how she went from that fearful kitten to her boldness now. She literally will place her face 2-inches from mine and meow in my face when I'm on the couch.

She loves "da Bird" as most cats do, although I have to be very careful with the string. She tangled herself in it once, got spooked and took off running with the stick attached. She ignored at first the squeaky mouse but likes it now.

I will be taking her in for her follow up shot and some other things next week.

I'm not sure how this is going to turn out yet. She is a playful, friendly kitten and the fault is not hers. I just may have lived alone so long that a pet is more disruptive to my life and OCD-routine than I anticipated.

Will post photos when I can. She's a hard one to stay still. :D

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Every kitten is different. What you just described is very typical. The fear induced be being removed from her home and put into a strange place is normal. The hiding is normal. I don't think I'd worry about blocking all hiding spaces. If i had a new cat dong that I'd just make sure that a couple times a day I found her and talked to her while leaving her in her spot.

The increasing confidence is normal and she realizes this is home and you're not so bad after all. A kitten does change the routine of a household. You have invited someone into your home to live with you. Whether that be homo sapiens or feline, things change. If you remain patient you will find the change is for the better.

She's going to find nooks and crannies in your heart you didn't know you had and ooze into them. Soon you'll wonder how you ever lived without her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks