What's new

The Official HTF Cat Thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The modern cat plays on an iPad. :) (And yes, one our cats really likes this app) https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cat-fishing-2/id494384429?mt=8

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Sort of. We brought Domino home as a kitten along with a much older cat, Victoria. Vickie tried too hard to be a mother to Domi, and he really did not like her. He tolerated her, until she passed away after 3 years to stomach cancer, and suddenly, he was a lonely little guy (well, not so little, he weighs 16 pounds!).
So, after a few weeks of lonely crying, we brought home Zinnia, an 8-month old black kitten with little tuffs of white on her chest and belly. Domi hated her, at first, although Zinnia walked out of her carrier like she owned the place. After three days of whining and hissing, Domi accepted her and they became friends. We ended up changing her name to Xena when this little 8 pound adolescent would body slam and cause the 16-pound Domino to go flying, literally bowling him over.
Originally Posted by KPmusmag
Originally Posted by Toddwrtr

These are my two trouble makers, Xena (left), and Domino.
They look cuddly, did they grow up together?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I don't have current pics, but I did find the "day we got 'em" pics and pics of the cattery I built.
aa3f83aa_ebay0123004.jpeg
49eaac72_ebay0123012.jpeg

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Mine are now fully acclimatized to me, the room-mates and guests! No more hiding, except when the dishwasher is running. Names are now officially Simon and Shultz, taking them to vets for first round of shots this weekend and to confirm their male-ness =) Hopefully don't have to change Simon to Simone or Shultz to Sheila =)

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by Sam Posten
Mine are now fully acclimatized to me, the room-mates and guests! No more hiding, except when the dishwasher is running.
Names are now officially Simon and Shultz, taking them to vets for first round of shots this weekend and to confirm their male-ness =) Hopefully don't have to change Simon to Simone or Shultz to Sheila =)
Awesome news!! So glad that your new housemates have adapted. I would definitely like to know how the gender situation turns out.
Funny, just today I got the final head nod from coworker that she is taking the other two together. Wife is gonna be all teary....

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What is a cattery? Sam - good to hear the tuxedo twins are getting along well. Todd - love the start where the tails are in sync. Later, the black cat is almost mechanized, with that pendulum-like tail swishing!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That pic of the cattery was taken right after it was standing on its own. I wrapped it in "cattle fence" and the two pillars in the front are a dutch door. And it is carpeted. There is an enormous litter box bottom left, a 4 ft tall "tiered" scratching post. A round "condo" they all fit in(been single digits at night). They've already acclimated to the dogs. Next time it isn't so freakishly cold I'll snap some pics when I can hold the camera still. So far the cats have cought 3 birds and I've found numerous mice and a adolescent raccoon.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That pic of the cattery was taken right after it was standing on its own. I wrapped it in "cattle fence" and the two pillars in the front are a dutch door. And it is carpeted. There is an enormous litter box bottom left, a 4 ft tall "tiered" scratching post. A round "condo" they all fit in(been single digits at night). They've already acclimated to the dogs. Next time it isn't so freakishly cold I'll snap some pics when I can hold the camera still. So far the cats have cought 3 birds and I've found numerous mice and a adolescent raccoon.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Good news! No FIV or Feline leukemia. Had no idea that FL was avoidable with shots. Dealable news: Treated for worms, no big wow. Weird news. Simon is now Simone :eek:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
KPmusmag said:
I am enjoying reading about everyone's cats. The black and white kittens are adorable! I wanted to share a few pics of the cats I grew up with, they were very smart and rather protective of me and put up with a lot of ear and tail pulling, although as I got older they decided that I should know better and let me know that, yes, they possess claws. :) They were devoted friends and I miss them to this day. (Credit to my Dad for the photos - on good, old-fashioned Kodachrome.)
15e4c23f_1963Cats001.jpeg
e44506c3_1963Cats008.jpeg
c9c4547c_1963Cats019.jpeg
87e1f740_1963Cats021.jpeg
Not one to use a teenage girl phrase, but OMG, they remind me so much of my cats. Got them together, brother and sister Siamese team. Sadly the brother died of unknown causes at about age four, but his sister lives on. Your pictures are wonderful and remind me of how close my two cats were to each other and what a major part they were in my life at the time. Thank you.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Sam Posten said:
Good news! No FIV or Feline leukemia. Had no idea that FL was avoidable with shots. Dealable news: Treated for worms, no big wow. Weird news. Simon is now Simone :eek:
I don't think worms are that uncommon, my two cats had worms and it's somewhat contageous so I had to treat both my cats when I got them and give my vet a stool sample to confirm the cure. You get to see how good your cats are with medication, but fortunately, the kind my vet gave me was able to be mixed with their food otherwise, I don't think I could of used a dropper by myself with my cats... I would need an assistent to hold the cat or something... buhBye Simon and Heeelllllooooo Simone :D !!! Jay

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
My Little Guy visited the vet as a kitten and came back Miss Kitty. True to her first choice of name, she stayed small.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Jay H said:
I don't think worms are that uncommon, my two cats had worms and it's somewhat contageous so I had to treat both my cats when I got them and give my vet a stool sample to confirm the cure. You get to see how good your cats are with medication, but fortunately, the kind my vet gave me was able to be mixed with their food otherwise, I don't think I could of used a dropper by myself with my cats... I would need an assistent to hold the cat or something... buhBye Simon and Heeelllllooooo Simone :D !!! Jay
A stool sample is a breeze. I once had to get a get a urine sample from my Italian Greyhound. Good luck getting your dog to pee in a cup. Giving meds to a cat is nearly impossble, even hiding it in food, they will carefully eat everything and leave the pill behind. Using a dropper for liquid meds is even worse, just hold on tight, force their mouth open and hope for the best. On the other hand, I now have a black lab. She eats everything, so no problem if she needs to take a pill.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Our cats had worms when first adopted. Took a few weeks but got it cleared up. We've now put them on heartworm meds. Greater risk of mosquito bite out here, we're told.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Stan said:
Not one to use a teenage girl phrase, but OMG, they remind me so much of my cats. Got them together, brother and sister Siamese team. Sadly the brother died of unknown causes at about age four, but his sister lives on. Your pictures are wonderful and remind me of how close my two cats were to each other and what a major part they were in my life at the time. Thank you.
I am so happy you like the pics. Sorry to hear about your male cat. :( One or the other or both of the cats usually slept with me at night. This was a good thing because I had a "fear of the dark" thing at the time, and they made me feel safe. It was cool when they both slept with me, because they would lie on either side of me and it was stereophonic purring. They were unusual because they liked to sleep under the covers with their heads next to my head.
26fb5a2b_1965June09.jpeg
They also hunted Easter eggs with me.
994e2aa3_1965Easter08.jpeg
And went trick-or-treating with me. (I know the pic is indoors, but truthfully they would walk with my parents and me around the neighborhood).
f77be705_1966Oct006.jpeg
They helped my Uncle (who was a PhD of Zoology) find interesting creatures in the backyard.
abcb4570_1966Bkrsfld012.jpeg

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
My cat Marcy does the "under the sheet" sleeping at will, but greylock will only do it if he wants too and only when he taps me on the shoulder for me to lift the sheets up and him to walk in. I guess he is too polite to nudge his way in like Marcy! But that is my two cats to a tee. Marcy is pushy and needs attention and bossy, while greylock is the polite, slightly shy, passive cat. Each have their own responsibilities in the house it seems, Greylock sits on my lap when I eat, Marcy stares at me when I'm on my laptop.... Usually when i come home from work, Marcy is buried completely under my blankets.... Jay

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Jay H said:
My cat Marcy does the "under the sheet" sleeping at will, but greylock will only do it if he wants too and only when he taps me on the shoulder for me to lift the sheets up and him to walk in. I guess he is too polite to nudge his way in like Marcy! But that is my two cats to a tee. Marcy is pushy and needs attention and bossy, while greylock is the polite, slightly shy, passive cat. Each have their own responsibilities in the house it seems, Greylock sits on my lap when I eat, Marcy stares at me when I'm on my laptop.... Usually when i come home from work, Marcy is buried completely under my blankets.... Jay
That's charming. It is amazing how they find their ways to communicate. He taps you on the shoulder - that's wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks