What's new

The Official HTF Cat Thread (2 Viewers)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Reminds me of my playful white cat who decimated a roll of paper towels from the upstairs bathroom all the way down the stairs to the living room. I knew it had to be him because it took a roll of TP to learn the proper way to hang it, as I had caught him pawing gleefully at the roll. He still pawed at it after I learned the proper way to hang it--but got nowhere.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
Yep, it's roll of toilet paper they knocked off a window sill as the one on the spool was nearing EOL. Yes, paper hangs DOWN over the front of the roll, anything else is WRONG. =) And yes, these guys will pull half a dozen sheets out from the kleenex boxes too. Maybe I am a bad home owner here but if it amuses them and costs me nothing more than 30 seconds a day and an extra box or two a year I'm ok with it. TP down the stairs tho, I draw the line there hehe...
Same thing, it is amusing and keeps them occupied.

As an added plus, the dog gets more fiber in her diet. She turns five next month and it has never caused her any problems. I'm careful, but just one slip up and she knows she can grab it faster than I can and the more I try to get it away from her, the faster she chews. Sometimes I can lure her away with a treat and she'll drop the napkin, etc.

Not really a cat comment, but I blame it on the cat, she started the behavior.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Had dinner last night with a couple of friends at their house.

They've got a little Pomeranian who loves me and a couple other cats who are friendly, but one that never comes near anyone, runs to the basement or out in the backyard if strangers are around.

Apparently I'm kind of a cat whisperer. The cat has never approached other people, but came up to me, laid across my shoulders while we were watching a movie, sniffing my hair, then curled up in my arms and fell asleep.

Cat is ten years old and has never done anything like that except with the owners. I must be sending out good vibes.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Selling the picture or selling Simone??? Tell me it's the picture Sam! :)

I would say Simone's eyes are obvously the most striking feature of the photo... Very piercing but in a cute way.

Jay

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
We went the the CFA cat show last week, and bought a pair of harnesses. We're now trying to harness train our cats, for eventual outdoors walking. The previous harnesses were strap-style. They were difficult to put on and seemed too tight. The cats hated them.The new harnesses are a simple solid-cloth make and snap together. Much easier to get on. They look more comfortable. The cats still hate them :)I need to get some pictures up. We also got samples of free quality catnip. I've never seen our react like this to catnip. Apparently the stuff with toys at retail stores is like year old basil, just worthless. This good stuff sends them over the moon!

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Try giving your cat a bath when it accidentally gets some poo on the top of it's leg, yeah i really don't know how that happened either, in almost four years this is the first time ever that we needed to give the cat a bath, maybe it was a touch of diarrhea, so anyways you lift her into the lukewarm bath water and World War 3 starts, the cat instantly jumps out and you start all over again, it took six stressful attempts before the cat was clean enough to go downstairs, i thought she would be annoyed the entire day but she went back to being her normal self immediately.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
Try giving your cat a bath when it accidentally gets some poo on the top of it's leg, yeah i really don't know how that happened either, in almost four years this is the first time ever that we needed to give the cat a bath, maybe it was a touch of diarrhea, so anyways you lift her into the lukewarm bath water and World War 3 starts, the cat instantly jumps out and you start all over again, it took six stressful attempts before the cat was clean enough to go downstairs, i thought she would be annoyed the entire day but she went back to being her normal self immediately.
I had a long haired pure white cat named Charlotte about 20 years ago.

She used to sleep in the fireplace when I went to work. I tried everything to block it off, wired the screens shut, etc. but she always found a way in until I finally installed glass doors.

Thankfully she seemed to enjoy baths, because she got plenty of them. Just pop her in the sink, soap her up and rinse with the little hand sprayer.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
DaveF said:
We went the the CFA cat show last week, and bought a pair of harnesses. We're now trying to harness train our cats, for eventual outdoors walking. The previous harnesses were strap-style. They were difficult to put on and seemed too tight. The cats hated them.The new harnesses are a simple solid-cloth make and snap together. Much easier to get on. They look more comfortable. The cats still hate them :)I need to get some pictures up.We also got samples of free quality catnip. I've never seen our react like this to catnip. Apparently the stuff with toys at retail stores is like year old basil, just worthless. This good stuff sends them over the moon!
Yeah, love to see some pictures. I tried when Greylock and Marcy were young with the basic strap harness (figure 8) and greylock spent the entire time slinking around with it. I never got to really use it. I imagine it is easier to do it when you start young, which would make Rainier my 4mo tabby a good candidate..

On an unrelated note, I bought some waterless shampoo awhile ago, Rainier doesn't care about water, he in fact, seems to like it, but marcy and greylock run like the dickens when they hear water..

jay

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
No baths here. We use baby wipes to clean them off when necessary (they don't mind that too much). They also kind of like being lint-rollered after a brushing.

My wife is making them stick their head through the harness to get treats in the evening, to try and create positive reinforcement. But if we have them wear them during the day, they slink about and look bereft.

The ongoing challenge is finding toys to play with. Maybe they've got cat ADD, but Mango especially loses interest in a toy after a couple of days. it's hard to keep him interested and get him running. Dash likes play a great deal more -- and with the right toys, he will run until he's panting, little pink tongue sticking out -- but he too eventually loses interest in toys. So I'm constantly buying new ones, and switching them up.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
No baths here. We use baby wipes to clean them off when necessary (they don't mind that too much). They also kind of like being lint-rollered after a brushing.

My wife is making them stick their head through the harness to get treats in the evening, to try and create positive reinforcement. But if we have them wear them during the day, they slink about and look bereft.

The ongoing challenge is finding toys to play with. Maybe they've got cat ADD, but Mango especially loses interest in a toy after a couple of days. it's hard to keep him interested and get him running. Dash likes play a great deal more -- and with the right toys, he will run until he's panting, little pink tongue sticking out -- but he too eventually loses interest in toys. So I'm constantly buying new ones, and switching them up.
Good luck with the harness. My cats have always hated anything around their neck.

I put a collar on my little guy Wilbur years ago and he hated it, but I thought he would adjust. Went to work and when I came home he had tried to get out of it, lifted it up high enough to the point where the "canine?" tooth of his lower jaw hooked into it, so he couldn't get the collar off, eat or drink. I felt horrible, cut the collar off of him and never tried again.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Oh, that's awful! glad he didn't really hurt himself.We heard meowing coming from indeterminate locations. And then some banging and clanging. Realized Mango had slipped into the pantry while I was getting some green beams, and I closed him in during dinner. He was up on the third shelf when I opened the door. Fortunately the sugar tub stayed closed after he knocked it off the shelf. But we lost a banana to a scrambling pantry-cat.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Pardon this interruption by the resident "HTF dog guy..."

But I think I've discovered why the cats of HTF members have been getting grumpier and grumpier over the years:

gallery_286742_34_2815.jpg

:biggrin:

Apologies if this is old research.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Mike Frezon said:
Pardon this interruption by the resident "HTF dog guy..."

But I think I've discovered why the cats of HTF members have been getting grumpier and grumpier over the years:

gallery_286742_34_2815.jpg

:biggrin:

Apologies if this is old research.
That is why we've graduated to AVRs.

Sent from my LG-P769 using HTF mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks