What's new

The Official Disney Movie Club Blu-ray Exclusives Thread (1 Viewer)

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Not sure if this is the place to list (if not, please let me know where). My picks for future Disney Club blus:

The Black Hole

The Happiest Millionaire

Darby O'Gill & the Little People (widescreen, please)

Scarecrow of Romney Marsh

The Shaggy Dog (original, of course)

The Shaggy D.A.

Return of the Shaggy Dog (TVmovie)

Never Cry Wolf

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Throughout the years, Blackbeard's Ghost has been one of the most frustrating Disney releases on video. Every time it came out in a new format, they always used the same really crappy transfer that probably dates back to the 1970s. Finally this Movie Club exclusive Blu-ray rectifies that. I've included screencaps from the DVD that was released in 2002.

Aspect ratio: 1.66:1

Audio: Dolby Digital 2.0 mono 320kbps

Subtitles: English SDH

Special features: none

BG1.jpg

BGDVD1.jpg

BG2.jpg

BGDVD2.jpg

BG3.jpg

BGDVD3.jpg

BG4.jpg

BGDVD4.jpg

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Yes the old DVD, Laserdisc, VHS of Blackbeards Ghost used a horrible transfer. As you can see from the caps besides looking generally poor it was not open matte but zoomed in. This new Blu-Ray finally does this very good Disney Movie justice.

Now please release these Dean Jones films: Million Dollar Duck, Snowball Express, That Darn Cat, The Shaggy D.A..

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
NEVER CRY WOLF
20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA
DARBY O'GILL AND THE LITTLE PEOPLE
SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES
THE JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN
THAT DARN CAT
THIRD MAN ON THE MOUNTAIN
THE FIGHTING PRINCE OF DONEGAL
DR. SYN: ALIAS, THE SCARECROW
COUNTRY (TOUCHSTONE)
THREE LIVES OF THOMASINA
THE BLACK HOLE

...These constitute the even dozen "must have on Blu-ray before I die" titles on my personal want list. If they come out bare bones through the Disney Movie Club, fine with me, and I think some of them will.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I saw Blackbeard's Ghost the day it came out back in 1968...probably the first live-action movie I ever saw. And I remembered enjoying it even though I was only 3. And I was quite looking forward to seeing it again when it came out on vhs. Rented it--and almost cried, the print was so crummy. The screengrabs of the blu above make it look exactly the way it did in 1968.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Yes the old DVD, Laserdisc, VHS of Blackbeards Ghost used a horrible transfer. As you can see from the caps besides looking generally poor it was not open matte but zoomed in. This new Blu-Ray finally does this very good Disney Movie justice.

Now please release these Dean Jones films: Million Dollar Duck, Snowball Express, That Darn Cat, The Shaggy D.A..
Also looks squeezed to some degree. Look at Ustinov's face in the last capture.

jra66

Agent
Real Name
Jason Ader
I was hoping this one would be next! Love Fred MacMurray. Looking for Shaggy Dog to be the companion disc for the month... yes?

Also to the above poster who mentioned 'The Snowball Express', yes please! Fantastic Dean Jones flick.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
DMC exclusives haven't always been matched though the 4 Herbies came out in 2 pairs and Witch Mtn Pairs so it's possible.
Shaggy Dog was 1959 so not an anniversary though with the paired items usually one one seemed to meet some sort of 5 or 10 year theme.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Next exclusive coming soon. So far only a single item, but most commonly these have come in pairs so stayed tuned. Preliminary release date 3/8
Nothing else known about the specs for now

The Absent Minded Professor (55th Anniversary)

absentmindedprofessorecomshot1455055708889.jpg
Blackbeard's Ghost was released by itself last go-round and it looks like Absent-minded Professor will be by itself this time. Apparently the club has decided to slow it down a bit by releasing one title every two months instead of two titles every three months. I had hoped Absent-minded would be paired with Son of Flubber on a single disc like the Davy Crockett movies, but alas no.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
NEVER CRY WOLF
20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA
DARBY O'GILL AND THE LITTLE PEOPLE
SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES
THE JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN
THAT DARN CAT
THIRD MAN ON THE MOUNTAIN
THE FIGHTING PRINCE OF DONEGAL
DR. SYN: ALIAS, THE SCARECROW
COUNTRY (TOUCHSTONE)
THREE LIVES OF THOMASINA
THE BLACK HOLE

...These constitute the even dozen "must have on Blu-ray before I die" titles on my personal want list. If they come out bare bones through the Disney Movie Club, fine with me, and I think some of them will.
Great titles. I would buy almost all of them. The ones I would add as "blu-rays I must have before I die" is The Happiest Millionaire, I just love the movie (The Roadshow release version). Even on DVD the picture and sound quality are stunning. Also, The One and Only Genuine Original Family Band is another great movie. And finally, the LONGER cut of Bedknobs and Broomsticks that was released on DVD which gives the story emotion and balance. I could care less if the quality is inconsistent because of the new dubs to fill in lost material. Then there are other older animated titles such as Make Mine Music, how about the Silly Symphonies and a line of blu-rays from the Disney Treasures?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Blackbeard's Ghost was released by itself last go-round and it looks like Absent-minded Professor will be by itself this time. Apparently the club has decided to slow it down a bit by releasing one title every two months instead of two titles every three months. I had hoped Absent-minded would be paired with Son of Flubber on a single disc like the Davy Crockett movies, but alas no.

That was the most commonly part though even it had sort of a partner in the pseudo exclusive Aladdin 2/3 which has no characteristics of a true exclusive -- price, slipcover, style, etc everything points to that being a wide release somewhere down the line. There are 2 weeks pending and many time one item is named first and then another shows up later, so fingers crossed. Son of Flubber or Shaggy Dog would both fit nicely.

Parent Trap (1961) has all the makings of a 2016 exclusive -- right age, anniversary year, it even has 2 choices of a linked partner. I would think it would be an anchor item rather than the tag-a-long though.

The whole 2 every 3 months sounded like it was the initial plan, but that went out the window a while back -- there were 10 BD and 1 DVD released in 2015 plus 2 in Dec 2014.
I really hope 1 every other month isn't the new in thing. 10-12 per year would be pretty cool though -- it would only take about a dozen years to hit most of teh highlights.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
The Parent Trap is the big one that I'm waiting for.

While I love The Shaggy Dog and hope to see it soon, wouldn't this one go best with its sequel, Son of Flubber? Not that they seem to be after themed pairs of releases as said (The Apple Dumpling Gang is another that could've been expected to be paired with its sequel but wasn't).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The Parent Trap is the big one that I'm waiting for.

While I love The Shaggy Dog and hope to see it soon, wouldn't this one go best with its sequel, Son of Flubber? Not that they seem to be after themed pairs of releases as said (The Apple Dumpling Gang is another that could've been expected to be paired with its sequel but wasn't).

I'm smiling.

I came to this thread, without seeing the above message, to say exactly THAT.

I am currently a member of the Disney Movie Club. Completed my obligation long ago.

They have been sending me emails to rejoin. My plan is to wait for THE PARENT TRAP to be released then rejoin by purchasing as many of the Disney Exclusives that I can -- even though they are cheaply priced.

I am hoping all will be available as introductory titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks