The Official Disney Movie Club Blu-ray Exclusives Thread

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Mark-P, Aug 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

I hope these first two titles do well enough that Disney will take the plunge as there are many full frame transfers of Disney films that need to be given their accurate wide screen ratios. One title that should look quite handsome in HD is The Moonspinners with its gorgeous Greece locale. Plus a cast that includes Hayley Mills, Eli Wallach, Irene Papas, Joan Greenwood and Pola Negri!

Will Krupp, MatthewA and ahollis like this.
  2. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    The Moon-Spinners needs a desperate redo as well. The DVD is hideous pan and scan.

MarkA and Will Krupp like this.
  3. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Screenwriter

Will
    Regarding THE MOON-SPINNERS ( a woefully substandard disc even by DVD standards) it CAN be seen in a properly framed HD presentation on Amazon Instant to rent or own. While not the best transfer I've ever seen it certainly blows the DVD out of the water.

THE HAYLEY MILLS COLLECTION on DVD was certainly a mixed bag. We got great special editions for the biggies (PARENT TRAP and POLLYANNA) a really nice at the time wide screen version of SUMMER MAGIC and then they absolutely dumped the other three (CASTAWAYS, MOON-SPINNERS, and THAT DARN CAT) as crappy, full frame, afterthoughts. There was zero consistency between the titles.

I think, at this point, there are streaming HD transfers available of all the titles with the exception of CAT. I would snap any of them up on blu-ray if given half the chance.

MarkA, Matt Hough, JoHud and 2 others like this.
  4. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    What exactly is the Disney Movie Club? Customers can't just order these movies from Disney? Their website is surprisingly coy about this. I love The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes and would love to buy it on Blu-ray, but this sounds suspiciously like some kind of sketchy subscription service that's going to cost way more than it's worth in the long run.

5. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Producer
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    It's the Disney version of the old Columbia House model of buying records/CDs/DVDs etc., where you get a certain number up front for a dollar or a penny or something like that, and then agree to buy a certain number at full price over the next couple years.

I actually had a pretty horrible experience with them back around 2009 or 2010. I joined, got all of my titles, bought the obligation titles, no problem. I was about to move out of state, so I had decided on canceling the membership instead of moving it. Called them up and they said they were canceling it. Well, I found out a couple years later that they didn't cancel the membership, but had in fact continued to send the monthly title to my old address, while billing an expired credit card that was still on the account somehow. About two years later, I finally got word from the credit card company that this had been going on -- to be fair to Disney, the credit card company screwed up too, what were they doing accepting an expired card and processing payment on that? And I probably should have been watching everything closer too. But I had never had an experience before or after where I canceled a membership somewhere and not had that cancellation go through. I finally got high enough up the Disney customer service chain of command to get someone to acknowledge that a) I had canceled my account, b) I had never in all of my time as a movie club member gotten the automatic default monthly title, so it was a little unusual that after a year of never doing that, that I would suddenly do it for two years straight and that c) they would refund me for all of those charges made after my cancellation date.

I don't know if this has happened to anyone else or if it was just a random fluke, but I'm a little wary of re-joining. They'd have to have some pretty amazing exclusives.

6. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    In many ways, it is exactly like the Columbia House Record/Music/Video
    club of bygone years.

Not a rip-off by any means and you do come ahead in the long run.

https://disneymovieclub.go.com
    Don't quote me on this, as I am not looking directly at the page...
    I believe you get 4 Blu-ray movies for $1 each. Then, you can get an additional
    for something like $5. You then only need to buy 5 movies at full price ($29.95)
    in the next two years. Shipping and handling is an additional $4.
    In the end, you do come out like a bandit. After all, you are getting over $100
    worth of Blu-ray product in the initial offer for well under $20, perhaps even $10.
    I am sure another member will quote the exact pricing.
    Oh....and some members may have promotional codes to save you even more.

7. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    At least 230 other people have had problems with it. I'm holding out for titles as yet unreleased with the name "Sherman" attached to them.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  8. Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Screenwriter

Brad
    I will second this as I found DMC a nice way to start building my Disney Blu collection, and some DVDs of Disney titles not yet on Blu.
    I only complaint so far is that somehow I never got notification on the first Selection of the Month ("The Pirate Fairy") and it showed up in my mail. I ended up keeping it (for when our nephews & nieces visit) but now keep a eagle eye on my email for Disney mailings.

Also plan to keep "pestering" DMC to release properly done Blus of Swiss Family Robinson, The Black Hole and both versions. (1961 and 1998) of The Parent Trap.

9. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Screenwriter

Will
    Josh Steinberg likes this.
  10. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I have had absolutely no problems with the club.

Just need to keep on top of rejecting your monthly selection, that's all.

They even email to remind you of it.

MarkA likes this.
  11. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Producer
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    I'm thinking that the problem I had was a random glitch as opposed to a recurring problem that most people have had to deal with. When I was an active member, I never had a problem. It was only after canceling the membership that I had an issue, because they kept sending me the monthly title and billing me for it, but sending it to an old address so I had no way of knowing they were still being sent. (They had stopped sending me the emails and I believe I even had a cancellation confirmation notice from them.) Everything on my end said the account was cancelled - everything on their end said it was open. So I'd just advise anyone looking to cancel to be extra careful looking over your credit card statements in the month or two following your cancellation, if I had paid more attention it probably wouldn't have taken a couple years for me to notice.

I don't want to give the impression that the entire program sucks -- when I was a member, I was a satisfied customer.

12. BRAD1963

BRAD1963 Stunt Coordinator

BRAD
    I was thinking about quitting, but I have liked the exclusives they have offered. Tarzan and Hercules 2 months early and now the Apple Dumpling Gang and Computer Wore Tennis Shoes. I did not have an issue with my obligations either, some of what they were offering I was getting anyway.

13. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    I've had no problems with DMC, and they even accepted a return of a selection of the month I forgot to decline (double feature of Sword in the Stone and Robin Hood). I've only been charged shipping on one shipment thus far (most are free shipping, but it may be different because I'm in Canada). My next featured selection is Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D for $31.95, but if I'm reading the promo properly, I can add either Toy Story of Terror or The Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad for free, with free shipping, with additional titles at 40% off. Not complaining in the least.

14. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Also, if you forget to decline a selection, it's really no big deal. Don't open it, write "shipment refused" on the package, drop it in the mail and you get full credit back. You don't even have to pay a penalty.

15. darkrock17

darkrock17 Supporting Actor

Andrew McClure
    Disney, just seems to keep getting worse, I don't want to have to join a club in order to get these classic films, I DON'T want Freaky Friday to end up in here. Disney's already screwed up Broomsticks and Poppins, I'd hate for the rest of the classics to be treated this way as well.

16. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    This posted today at The Digital Bits:
    So I guess that's good news for those who would rather steer clear of the Club or for those who want to export them to other countries!

MatthewA, Jason_V and cafink like this.
  17. Bill:N

Bill:N Stunt Coordinator

The Region 2 PAL Disney DVD is 1:85 widescreen and miles and has quite good picture quality. The Region 1 is atrocious. I have seen both and there is no comparison.

18. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    I just received my copies from the club. The aspect ratio is indeed 1.66:1 for each title. That is a change from the Apple Dumpling Gang special edition DVD which was 1.75:1. I can live with that, but what I am disappointed about is the sound - lossy Dolby Digital 2.0. Apple Dumpling Gang DVD had a real nice 5.1 remix which is not included on the Blu-ray. :( I'll post some screencaps later on.

Powell&Pressburger likes this.
  19. Konstantinos

Konstantinos Screenwriter

Konstantinos
    Do these exclusives end up at ebay at some point?

20. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    It was mono originally. Did they keep the DVD extras?