What's new

The Official Disney Movie Club Blu-ray Exclusives Thread (1 Viewer)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
i'm not sure if this is practical, but why couldn't DMC release at least one Bluray disc each month , alternating between classics like Darby O Gill and titles like the Boatniks each month.
Also let's not forget , the they haven't released any "unreleased " minor titles like things from the Disney and show or more Micky Mouse Club etc on DVD in quite a while .

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I've never even heard of The Boatniks but as a fan of silly puns, it's a great title.

Robert Morse!
It played on the wonderful world of Disney a couple times in the 70's-early 80's when they used to show movies in 2 parts. It was also a regular on the prime days of the Disney Channel in the late 80's and it had a VHS release and DVD but it hasn't been seen much or had any home video releases since the early 2000's. So that may also be factoring in their decision for this release. I'm excited for this release as I haven't seen it in 30 years.
While I'm a fan of all the Disney live action films from 1950-1980 I certainly won't argue that there are far more classic titles that they could be releasing. But I think the classics and non-classic Disney titles all have their fans and all will sell so I agree with the idea of alternating 1 month a classic title and then the next month a non-classic title. They certainly have enough films to keep this pattern up for quite a few years.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I received the DMC mailer today and DMC Exclusive The Boatinks is available for purchase on Bluray ...

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I received the DMC mailer today and DMC Exclusive The Boatinks is available for purchase on Bluray ...
Having thought about this I will probably order The Boatniks . But lets hope DMC increases their blu-ray release schedule.
One thing I'd love to own would be season sets on the Disneyland, Wonderful World Of Disney , and Wonderful World Of Color , and I'd take those on DVD or Blu-ray .

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm planning on ordering Boatnks and even Dumbo Drop, but I';m going to wait until July 19th when the next reset is probable. That should be the FT with Jungle Book
and the DMC Son of Flubber. Hopefully either a B1G60% off or 50% with FS will show up as the Special Offer

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Like many of you I'd guess, I got my DMC mailer today , and was disappointed to see that there were no new exclusives on Blu-ray, and no archival material on exclusive DVDs either .

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think DMC Reps have confirmed Son of Flubber for 8/16 which fits the new every 2 months

April -- Op Dumbo Drop
June -- Boatniks
August -- Son of Flubber.

It seems we were getting the live action exclusive one a month for awhile as opposed to two every 2-3 months last year,.
Maybe in the fall it will pick up again.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
It seems we were getting the live action exclusive one a month for awhile.
One every other month. I am sad this increasingly nutty company is curtailing its Movie Club releases, with somewhere between 50-100 good-to-superb live-action classics left unreleased. The one consolation: they are more active getting their catalog titles out than Paramount is. Not saying much, but it's something.

Last edited:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
One every other month. I am sad this increasingly nutty company is curtailing its Movie Club releases, with somewhere between 50-100 good-to-superb live-action classics left unreleased. The one consolation: they are more active getting their catalog titles out than Paramount is. Not saying much, but it's something.
With so many movies to be released , and such a slow release schedule , we'll be waiting ten years or more for some of these films .

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
With so many movies to be released , and such a slow release schedule , we'll be waiting ten years or more for some of these films .

Might be time for Disney to go the route everyone's going lately and have other companies release their library. Shout and Criterion would certainly give these films the treatment they've long been overdue.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Might be time for Disney to go the route everyone's going lately and have other companies release their library. Shout and Criterion would certainly give these films the treatment they've long been overdue.

Though I don't think we'll see it happen, I wouldn't complain if it did.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
The reality of the situation is that Disney just doesn't want to release period. If it isn't something that's been in theaters or did well on TV, they just don't want to physically release just like a lot of studios these days.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Wish it wasn't the case, but Disney will license these titles when hell freezes over.
Although for a few years in the early days of DVD, the company was licensing a large number of their live-action titles to Anchor Bay (oddly, they dropped the Disney name from the opening credits, if memory serves). They could do it again, but they seem content to dribble their library out eight or nine per year.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Well Hell's frozen over a few times already that's how we got WKRP, The Wonder Years, and Batman.
And back in the days of VHS , didn't Disney license some titles like Great Locomotive Chase , to another small company , possibly Mill Creek?

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
What gets me mad about the whole situation is that if one looks at netflix, amazon.com streaming etc, a good chunk of their live action stuff already has hd masters ready, so if they ever did license stuff out, or released at a larger rate than 1 title every two months...there is no limit to what they could get out there with no remastering costs or anything.
It's anybody's guess what they do actually release on blu as it is the most haphazard selection. I'm not complaining since I'll always support a widescreen oar release of a title...but it's so random. I know which titles I am hoping they will release, but who knows if they ever will.... My wishlist for this vault movie club collection would be...
Man of the House, Jungle 2 Jungle, Blank Check, Tom and Huck, Flubber, Midnight Madness, Journey of Natty Gann, Honey I Shrunk the Kids/ Honey I Blew up the Baby, The Mighty Ducks, Cool Runnings, The Three Musketeers.

I know we probably have a shot at Flubber since it was shown in a catalog years ago...but who knows about the others. My hopes went up for the 90's titles when they released Operation Dumbo Drop. Hopefully people from Disney check this board and see which titles are more requested than others.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
What gets me mad about the whole situation is that if one looks at netflix, amazon.com streaming etc, a good chunk of their live action stuff already has hd masters ready, so if they ever did license stuff out, or released at a larger rate than 1 title every two months...there is no limit to what they could get out there with no remastering costs or anything.
In actuality, there are remastering costs, because every one of the Disney Movie Club Blu-ray exclusives has been digitally cleaned up compared to the HD versions that were already available for streaming and download.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks