What's new

The official BLADE RUNNER SE thread. (Check out page 8 and #790.) (2 Viewers)

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Since its only the 2.0 audio, i bet that means no HD until the set.
Let's pray that they release the boxed set in hi-def day-and-date with the SD release. I sorta doubt they will. Hope I'm wrong. You could be looking at a quad-dip.
I never bought the first Blade Runner DVD, having been thoroughly unimpressed with the artifact-ridden transfer, even back in '97. But I'm buying this new disc tomorrow with no qualms.
--Jefferson Morris

Robin_B

Stunt Coordinator
Bought my copy today. I was a little apprehensive about this "remaster" but after skimming through and checking some of the bad spots from the old transfer I must admit I'm very happy with the way it looks. The sound still leaves a lot to be desired. I hope they can do something about that with next years release. This movie just screams for some nice surrounds.
While I agree about the case etc not being that important, it almost seems like they went out of their way NOT to do anything about it. I mean a black disc label with Blade Runner written on it? c'mon. Hey at least we get it in an amaray case this time.
It'll tide me over nicely until next years monster box.
I've put a few comparison grabs up on my website
http://www.top40addict.com/BLADERUNN...?1157513654218

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
My local Wal-Mart didn't even have this today. I only went there because I won't be near a Best Buy or CC until Thursday, and I can't believe they didn't have it. Of course, this Wal-Mart doesn't have any HD-DVD's either, so I guess it shouldn't be surprising. Guess Best Buy will be getting my money this week.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I like the framing - more can be seen along the bottom and the right. Top is about the same, left is about the same. Good job.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I sold off my 1997 disc ages ago - when the first word of a new edition was out. Amazing it took this long. I had actually forgotten I'd gotten rid of it and was looking over my collection one day and thought, "Why the hell don't I have Blade Runner???" I think I will likely hold off another purchase until an HD release, but then I've said that sort of thing before :).
Oh yeah, big improvement in PQ.

Robin_B

Stunt Coordinator
Well I sat and watched it all the way through and I must say that was the best BR viewing experience I've had in a long time. The sound is pretty much the same as the previous disc but the picture is a vast improvement especially as far as the print goes. Not a scratch or spot to be seen anywhere, beautiful. The contrast is a bit stronger in this version. In some scenes maybe a little too dark but you ain't going to hear me complain. Now I can go back to watching BR on a more frequent basis.
Bring on that big box.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Edward Schatz said:
But is brighter more accurate? I got rid of my old DVD. The only thing I have left is the Criterion LD.
Actually, I personally think the contrast/brightness is overblown in the new DC.
Look at the picture of Rachel (which Robin_B posted), in the area
under her eye and to the left of her nose: much more detail in the old DC.
The new one looks airbrushed.
http://www.top40addict.com/bladerunner04.jpg

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
RickardL said:
Actually, I personally think the contrast is overblown in the new DC.
Look at the picture of Rachel (which Robin_B posted), in the area
under her eye and to the left of her nose: much more detail in the old DC.
The new one looks airbrushed.
http://www.top40addict.com/bladerunner04.jpg
Yeah, I am bit concerned about the massive contrast changes. Granted, I did not see it in theaters and have had only shoddy VHS/LD/DVD copies.....

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, my frame of reference is limited to my old VHS tape that I sold awhile ago and watching it on LD at a friends house.
Actually, I remember being shooed out of the room when my parents rented the old european cut once on VHS back in the early 80's because it was R rated and I was too young to watch Han Solo be a dick to people.

AlexCremers

Second Unit
OK, the brightness and contrast have changed, but what about sharpness? The caps don't show much improvement, if any. Conclusion, I will buy the temporarily disc but I will only buy the Final Cut box when it's released in Blu-ray (Please lord, understand my position and release the Blu-ray box simultaneously with the regular box set).

Etrigan

Grip
Real Name
Gustavo
AlexCremers said:
OK, the brightness and contrast have changed, but what about sharpness? The caps don't show much improvement, if any. Conclusion, I will buy the temporarily disc but I will only buy the Final Cut box when it's released in Blu-ray (Please lord, understand my position and release the Blu-ray box simultaneously with the regular box set).
I agree. I was expecting this remastered edition to have much better sharpness. They look almost identical in terms of definition...what gives?

Sergio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sergio Perez-More
Hello,

That's why no early reviews, not enough improvement. I'll keep my current copy and wait for the 3-4 disc set in 2007

Regards,

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
What are you guys complaining about? The new disc (by the screen caps) looks light-years better, even if the older disc has almost as much overall detail:
http://www.top40addict.com/BLADERUNN...?1157513654218
Look at the scene with the candles in Tyrell's room. The old disc is riddled with artifacts and EE which completely destroys all semblence of film. The new disc is natural and very film-like.
And the new disc *does* show more detail. It's jus the EE in the old disc made it look "sharp" without actual detail. Look at Rachel's lower lip in that close-up. The old disc is the one that looks air-brushed. The new disc shows much more detail in the folds of her skin.
I'll try to give this one a review once I get to see it on the projector if HERB doesn't plan to do it.

Sergio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sergio Perez-More
David,

That's why I will rent it first (Netflix) to make my own decision. I still own the now OOP first release of Reservoir Dogs; hopefully on 10/24/2006 I can finally put this disc to rest.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks