What's new

The official BLADE RUNNER SE thread. (Check out page 8 and #790.) (1 Viewer)

Jack Johnson

Second Unit
Does anyone else feel that The Final Cut is a little bit softer looking in the fine detail department in some shots, especially character closeups?

I thought I noticed this in transitioning from the original theatrical cut to the FC last night; I'd made no adjustment to my equipment, but was struck by the shift.

The FC offers a more dynamic image with striking contrast, along with those much better composited effects shots...but left me with a feeling that the merest hint of noise reduction had been applied. On the other hand, it might just be perceptual, given the change in color timing and contrast...

--Jack

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Vincent_P said:
? I only noticed her recently on the HD-DVD (she's submerged in the tub behind Deckard during the climax in the scene where Batty puts his head through the wall and then fights Deckard in the same room), and low and behold there is even an unused take featured in the supplements where you can really see her in detail as Deckard walks into the room and sits on the rim of the tub. There is no mention of her in the commentaries, she's just visible in the background of the scene in the final film, and very clearly seen in that unused take in the supplements, so I'm left baffled. Is this a remnant of the otherwise unfilmed "sixth replicant" subplot, or just a bit of strange background detail that was added to the shot to catch audiences off-guard and leave them uneasy?
Vincent
"...or just a bit of strange background detail that was added to the shot to catch audiences off-guard and leave them uneasy?"
That is my guess as they never filmed the sixth replicant AND Sebastien clearly had, at some point, placed his "toys" all over the building as decor, like the one sitting at the bar and the mannequins in the lobby on the first floor.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Jack Johnson said:
Does anyone else feel that The Final Cut is a little bit softer looking in the fine detail department in some shots, especially character closeups?
I thought I noticed this in transitioning from the original theatrical cut to the FC last night; I'd made no adjustment to my equipment, but was struck by the shift.
The FC offers a more dynamic image with striking contrast, along with those much better composited effects shots...but left me with a feeling that the merest hint of noise reduction had been applied. On the other hand, it might just be perceptual, given the change in color timing and contrast...
--Jack
dvd or BD / HD-DVD?

JamesTLewis

Agent
Real Name
James Lewis
htf_imgcache_23099.jpeg

They came in the actual shipping boxes with the display instructions printed on the base
htf_imgcache_23100.jpeg

htf_imgcache_23101.jpeg

htf_imgcache_23102.jpeg

htf_imgcache_23103.jpeg

htf_imgcache_23104.jpeg

All the trinkets were intact, the Blu Ray discs were loose but not scratched.. Relief!
Just a shame my Christmas present was so late, thanks to UK customs.. :crazy:
They'd held onto them since they were shipped on the 19th December... :frowning:
Well, just got to watch them now!

Jack Johnson

Second Unit
Chris PC said:
dvd or BD / HD-DVD?
I was looking at the standard dvd set; the softness in the FC I noticed--over the other versions on disc 3--is evidenced, just barely, in some of the comparison caps between the various versions and editions floating around (dvd beaver, etc); the one of Pris's face, in particular.
It seems like there's been a substantial reduction in the amount of visible grain in the FC, and I wondered if that might enter into this; in order to reduce it by employing subtle filtering, they'd also have to sacrifice some detail. In the end, if the Final Cut is softer in certain shots, it's not by much.
--Jack

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
JamesTLewis said:
htf_imgcache_23099.jpeg

They came in the actual shipping boxes with the display instructions printed on the base
htf_imgcache_23100.jpeg

htf_imgcache_23101.jpeg

htf_imgcache_23102.jpeg

htf_imgcache_23103.jpeg

htf_imgcache_23104.jpeg

All the trinkets were intact, the Blu Ray discs were loose but not scratched.. Relief!
Just a shame my Christmas present was so late, thanks to UK customs.. :crazy:
They'd held onto them since they were shipped on the 19th December... :frowning:
Well, just got to watch them now!
Wow, that's a costly double purchase you got there ;)
edit - sd dvd not hd-dvd :D

JamesTLewis

Agent
Real Name
James Lewis
Just watched the first 30 mins on SD (as the BD is a future investment till I get a Blu ray Player)
and
Omigod...
I thought I already had a Blu Ray player..
It looks and sounds astonishing!
Charles, this was definitely worth the wait. Thank you so, so much!
I can't imagine what the High def version will be like..

Jack Johnson

Second Unit
Just for clarification, in citing a few of the caps that have been circulating as an example of what I think is a bit more softness on the FC version of Blade Runner, I didn't mean to suggest that's where I first noticed it (since caps can be unreliable). I first detected this in transitioning from the theatrical cut on disc 3--SD version--to the Final Cut on disc one...whereupon the odd shot or two began to look a tad more indistinct.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
My (hopefully) better late than never HTF review is finally up here. Before the holidays, I accidentally lost all of my notes on the supplements and it took me a while to reproduce them.
Regards,

Jack Johnson

Second Unit
So having had a chance to look over the various transfers of each cut of Blade Runner, how does everyone feel about the revised color timing of The Final Cut?

I like it, but I'm also glad I went with the four disc edition to get the archival versions (SD dvd). I haven't listened to the commentary, and I don't have the fifth disc to hear if the rationale for the new look was given, but it did seem to enhance the "noirish" aspect of the film...and curtail what almost began to look like a kind of flashiness or "mall culture" gaudiness on view in some scenes in the city (not that I know what the heck that means, exactly). Not that it didn't work exactly as intended, but I wonder if the earlier versions don't seem a little more of their time...whereas The Final Cut--with its darker look--feels more contemporary. Just taking a flying stab in the dark to try and articulate a vague impression I had of the new look.

I commented before about a perceived lack of sharpness in the FC; not sure what I was on, but it was probably sleep deprivation...which is everyone's drug of choice these days, isn't it? But I don't see it now, after comparing it on a variety of monitors. Looks great.

--Jack

StevePA

Stunt Coordinator
...unless, as I've stated before, you have my SD briefcase edition, which has the sticker, and no number whatsoever on it...nothing, nada, just a blank hologram Blade Runner sticker, and nothing else:crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks