What's new

The official 83rd Academy Awards Nomination and Predictions Thread (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by TravisR

Since animated movies have gained some more respect over the last couple years, I think the animated category should be abolished and the voters should treat animated movies like every other movie. Toy Story 3 is a better movie than what ended up winning the Oscar but it never had a chance of winning since many see it as just a cartoon and not a 'real' movie.

That may be, but get rid of the animated category, and cartoons will never get any recognition. The Oscars have already slpit up some genres, they should keep them split:

Best Picture: Live action fiction/reenactment

Best Documentary: Live action fact

Best Animation: Cartoons

They should keep them completely separate, then create the "Ultimate Picture" and have it be between the three winners of the above categories. To ensure no politics, the winner of the "Ultimate Picture" would be decided by a hamster race in which the director of each film can pick their hamster from a pool of 18 hamsters, and that 5 minute final race would be more entertaining then the preceding 6 hours of Oscar coverage, MARK MY WORDS!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Russell G

That may be, but get rid of the animated category, and cartoons will never get any recognition.

Absolutely. I'm sure the Best Animated category was made with the best of intentions but I think it also enables voters to not treat animated material as seriously as they treat live action material.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
And you can tell that most of the attendees have no idea what the fuck those films are. It's amazing, really.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Steve Christou

Russ, you left out Best Foreign Language Film category, usually my cue to go make tea when it comes on. The Greek entry was dreadful, btw. ;)

They should get rid of that category. No one in North America wants to read movies. If we did, we'd all buy books!

My "tea break"* was when Paltrow decided to warble out another flat sounding "song".

*I presume by "tea break" you mean "have a poo".

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
If I had to pick the five best films of the year, TS3 would be in that list. And I still don't care about how unpopular this is, but as much as I enjoyed "Hurt Locker", "Up" to me was the animated film that most deserved to win. But this year, even if I named the normal 5, TS3 would be in that list.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Tell truth I enjoyed Toy Story 3 a lot more than The King's Stutter, even if it was created on someone's computer. ;)

I did like Inception more though, my choice for best film of 2010.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Tell truth I enjoyed Toy Story 3 a lot more than The King's Stutter, even if it was created on someone's computer. ;)

I did like Inception more though, my choice for best film of 2010.

Agreed all round!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Count me in for the hamster thing. The hosts may have sucked, but please don't give them all the credit -- remember to denigrate the writers too!

The only major nominee I've seen this year is Toy Story 3. The library is holding The Social Network for me though.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Very sad to see True Grit shut out. My #1 film of the year.

Oh well...can't wait for the blu ray!

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Hey Tino, Yeah, True Grit was really good. Saw it twice. Surprised me how much I liked it. Loved the soundtrack as well.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I've been wondering about this, if Toy Story 3 was good enough to be included in the Best Picture category than what chance did the other two films in the Best Animated Movie category have of beating it? In other words the best animated film of the year had already been chosen, nullifying the animated movie category. It's ridiculous. Keep the cartoons in their own category.

I agree that it seems logical an animated film also nominated for BP would win BAM, but I don't think it's a given. All voters vote for BP, but only those in that industry vote for BAM. They might favor a different film than the general voters...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Edwin-S

Toy Story 3 did not deserve to win over How To Train Your Dragon.

Yeah, it did. "TS3" wasn't as good as "Up" or "TS2", but it was better than "Dragon" - I really thought that one was awfully forgettable. It kinda bored me when I saw it and I barely remember it, while much of "TS3" stayed with me...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
HTTYD, in addition to what I felt was superior animation, imagination and music, had a great story about not judging people...or dragons...based on appearance or first impressions--an important theme to address in our current age of "suicide by intolerance"--as well as the importance of family acceptance (love them for who they are, not who you want them to be) and that fighting for what's right often has consequences and sometimes demands sacrifice (Hiccup does not survive the film intact). Plus, the flying sequence with Hiccup and Astrid on Toothless is one of the most gorgeous sequences ever animated on film, and is but one of several amazing sequences in the film.

TS3 was just a kid growing up and leaving his toys behind, and the toys freaking out about it.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Malcolm R

HTTYD, in addition to what I felt was superior animation, imagination and music, had a great story about not judging people...or dragons...based on appearance or first impressions--an important theme to address in our current age of "suicide by intolerance"--as well as the importance of family acceptance (love them for who they are, not who you want them to be) and that fighting for what's right often has consequences and sometimes demands sacrifice (Hiccup does not survive the film intact). Plus, the flying sequence with Hiccup and Astrid on Toothless is one of the most gorgeous sequences ever animated on film, and is but one of several amazing sequences in the film.

TS3 was just a kid growing up and leaving his toys behind, and the toys freaking out about it.

It's odd that you are able to see the deeper themes in How to Train Your Dragon, but don't see them in Toy Story 3.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by Tino

Oh well...can't wait for the blu ray!

+1

After the seeing the Coen Bros version, I watched the John Wayne version and read the book. I really want to see this again on my HDTV. And I'm not a Westerns fan by nature.

I wasn't a big fan of any of the animated feature nominees this year. Actually, I haven't liked anything Pixar has done since Ratatouille (which I thought was rather meh). I'm hoping Cars 2 is funny and they stop trying to make audiences cry. It doesn't work on me and it's feels manipulative and artificial. I don't watch 3 hanky chick flicks for that exact reason.

Colin, it is my understanding that the individual branches handle the noms but the entire Academy votes on the awards themselves.

[url=http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawards/about/voting.html]http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawards/about/voting.html

So having TS3 in Best Picture and Best Animated Feature does give it an unfair advantage. Same goes for a Foreign Language film also nominated for Best Picture.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by TravisR

Based only on the teaser, Cars 2 looks like Pixar's action movie.

Cars 2 looks like a giant mistake to me. The first one was terrible and a huge miss step by Pixar.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

So having TS3 in Best Picture and Best Animated Feature does give it an unfair advantage. Same goes for a Foreign Language film also nominated for Best Picture.

I stand corrected!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks