What's new

The official 83rd Academy Awards Nomination and Predictions Thread (1 Viewer)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

I still detest the decision in recent years to have a famous performer sing over the In Memorium slideshow. It should be about the deceased, not Celine Dion. I also don't like the implication that Lena Horne's death was more important than everyone else combined.

I do applaud the decision to not use the audience audio over the slideshow, however. It always seemed in poor taste to see the audience rate the dead with their applause.

The problem is without the audience audio it was like it was in a vacuum and that no one cared. Other than that I agree completely.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
This was the first time since 1991 (the first year I watched) where I skipped the show. I decided to go to the movies instead and just FF through the show when I got home.

It was great seeing Douglas, although things did turn a little weird there with the speech.

The Memorium thing was another hack job. As for Horne, a little too late to try and pay her some respect.

No major shocks but then again that's one reason I went to the movies instead.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Again, In Memorium, missed quite a few:

Here goes:

So who was this year's Brad Renfro, Farrah Fawcett, and Bea Arthur? Forgotten dead Hollywood types included Corey Haim, who died last March at age 38 of a drug overdose. Maria Schneider, from 1972's Last Tango In Paris who died of cancer this month. Monica Johnson, co-writer of the Albert Brooks films Real Life, Modern Romance, Lost in America, The Muse, and Mother. Lisa Blount, who not only was an Academy nominee for An Officer And Gentleman but also a winner as producer of the Best Short Film in 2002. More coming in...
http://www.deadline.com/2011/02/oscars-in-memoriam-didnt-mention/

Also:

Rue McClanahan (Starship Troopers, Pursuit of Happiness,

Pete Graves (Airplane)

Monica Mcgowan Johnson (Writer for a lot of great comedy films.. co-writer with Albert Brooks on many)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Michael Elliott

This was the first time since 1991 (the first year I watched) where I skipped the show.

I didn't watch the show at all either as I felt this year's show won't have any drama as the die was cast for The King's Speech to win BP, Best Actor and Best Director. IMO, The King's Speech is a fine film, but I didn't think it was the best picture I've seen this year. I agree with all the actor winners, but I had trouble with BP and Best Director.

Crawdaddy

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
First show I skipped in ten years. Since everything I expected (in the "big" categories) won, it doesn't look like I missed much. The only surprise was Hooper, who did a great job, but hardly a worthy Best Director winner. Hopefully, it was fun for those who watched!

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Now that the Weinsteins have officially butchered "The King's Speech" into a PG-13 film, I hope that the Academy revokes the Best Picture win. This would obviously not have an effect on the other awards, but this is an absolute joke and a message needs to be sent. I can't wait to see the posters or video covers for the PG-13 version that state "Best Picture Winner". As far as I'm concerned that would be an outright lie.

Well at least "Crash" didn't win the best picture!!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
That version will only be shown in a few specific theaters, I expect, or perhaps in schools.

It will have to be very clearly identified anyway (MPAA regulations, normally this isn't allowed within 90 days or so).

Cees

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Thanks Cees.

That's good to hear and I hope that somebody monitors it! Personally, I still find it shameful....and maybe this is more of an MPAA thing because this was not a dirty film. There is one pivotal scene with a bunch of cursing. I've seen far dirtier films that get a PG-13 rating to start with.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by Chuck Mayer

Hopefully, it was fun for those who watched!

Unfortunately, it was not. Probably the worst I can remember.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Rubbish! That's my usual reaction at the end of each year's Oscar show and this year was no different. I had to grin at the irony of this more kiddie-friendly Oscar show (complete with children's chorus finale aaawww) and the big winner being granddads favourite The King's Speech instead of the more 'hip' Social Network.

And I've heard someone nattering on about this being "the HBO Awards"? Hmmm in other words most of this years nominated films could have premiered on TV and no one would have batted an eye? I agree.:)

I vote Kirk Douglas and Eli Wallach to host next years show.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Eric Peterson

There is one pivotal scene with a bunch of cursing. I've seen far dirtier films that get a PG-13 rating to start with.

According to director Edgar Wright, you're allowed one "Fuck" in a PG-13 film. And it's a big deal when making the film where that "fuck" will appear. So ridiculous.

Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo Unfortunately, it was not. Probably the worst I can remember.

Agreed. I remember some of the other shows that were considered a disaster to be much more entertaining then this. Franco and Hathaway had no business being on that stage.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I wish to thank all of you that joined us last evening for

the live chat. It was a lot of fun and I see all of you who

attended walked away with some nice Blu-rays and/or DVDs.

Thanks to Adam Gregorich for organizing all of that.

Now....

Worst Oscars ever! Anne Hathaway was barely bearable

but perhaps would have done better without the wooden

James Franco.

The highlight of the night? Billy Crystal. That auditorium

came alive when he entered. Has he refused to return to

host the Oscars or has he not been asked? There hasn't

been a good Oscars night since he left.

Mostly happy with the winners. It was a very predictable

year for all the major winners. Unfortunately, it was a pretty

mediocre year for movies in general.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

The highlight of the night? Billy Crystal. That auditorium

came alive when he entered. Has he refused to return to

host the Oscars or has he not been asked? There hasn't

been a good Oscars night since he left.

Agreed.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
It really felt like after the Golden Globes they tried to make the most inoffensive Oscars as they could. The result was bland nothingness. The only thing that was remotely a barb was the Charlie Sheen reference. And it was just name dropping -- there was no real joke attached.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I thought the show was okay; maybe it's just been the stretch of poor hosts that's conditioned me to accept it, but I've come to expect awkward, forced humor. I was mostly disappoitned that they seemed to drop the thing about honoring past winners; I know they did something with Gone with the Wind, then Shrek, then...? Nothing, it seems.

As for the awards themselves, the only 2 I'll vehemently disagree with are Best Director (should have been Fincher) and Best Original Screenplay (should have been Inception, as it's nothing short of brilliantly conceived). King's Speech winning Best Picture is acceptable enough, though I would have taken Inception,Social Network, 127 Hours, Black Swan, or True Grit before it.

Biggest snub of the night was omitting Corey Haim and Maria Schnieder from the In Memoriam segment.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I was disappointed that Steinfeld didn't win, but I'll get over it. ;)

One thing I learned last night was that I most definitely need to see Inception and 127 Hours. I was very intrigued by the footage I saw of both films last night.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I was disappoitned for Steinfeld too; that's one that I guess I might sort of disagree with, but I find it hard to take anything away from Leo in The Fighter too.

And yeah, I would highly recommend both of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks