What's new

The Office (US) - Season 1 (1 Viewer)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
This episode failed miserably. I haven't see the British series (always wanted to), but last week's episode was good enough for me to watch the show again.

I agree that Carrel is way over the top.

~T

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
And I found last night's episode absolutely hilarious. Not quite up to the high bar Arrested Development has set, but much better than the first episode and way better than most other comedies right now.

I haven't seen the BBC version yet, so I can't make any comparison. The DVDs should be arriving soon from Netflix.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I'm not sure that's the real difference in the characterizations. Carrell's Scott was certainly cognizant of his offense after the "negative connotations" comment, for instance.

Gervais was masterful at playing Brent as compulsively ... massively ... overcompensating for his insecurity without ever admitting to it. Arguably, even Gervais lost his handle on this element a little in the second series, but played it to perfection in the Christmas specials. If Carrell were able to convey an underlying insecurity, then the bull in the china shop moments would have the intended "make you wince and cover your eyes" comedic effect.

American sitcoms sometimes take a while for the actors and writers to really nail the characters, so hopefully they will get there. In the mean time, I'm amused and intrigued enough by the scenarios and supporting cast to give it another couple of weeks.

Regards,

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I read in TV Guide that Carell started to watch the first episode of the BBC version, and then stopped himself and just went off on his own to find his toehold of the Michael Scott character. I don't think he has succeeded with these 2 episodes yet. Michael just isn't as fun to watch trying to dig himself out of a hole as Gervais/Brent was in the BBC series.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

I haven't seen enough of the BBC version to know anything about that, but the problem to me is that Michael comes across as not even CARING about digging himself out. He doesn't seem to give a damn what anyone thinks of him, and does nothing to try and please anyone. That's just not how I envision this character to behave, it certainly doesn't create the kind of comedic tension needed for the part (IMO). He didn't seem to care too much that he was the reason they had the seminar, and did nothing to try and redeem himself. The reason he held the "take 2" part seemed to me that he just wanted attention, and to come across as a great leader. It didn't strike me as having anything to do with his earlier behavior.

/Mike

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Fucking hilarious!!! :D

"Mr. Brown"

"Let's go around the room and everyone name a race you find sexually attractive." ["I have two... white -sidelong glance- and Indian."]

Not quite "Curb your Enthusiasm", but not bad for network TV.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

The best part was the zoom in to the woman's face - and her look of fear. :D

I have both seasons of the Office on DVD but haven't had a chance to watch them yet. I figure this way is better - sort of like watching the movie before the book.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I would suggest that if you are happy with the US version of this show (and haven't seen the BBC version), then don't watch the BBC version because it might just make you re-evaluate your assessment of the US version.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
I think the show has promise. Tuesday night had some really funny lines. It won't last on Tuesday though. The only chance is for NBC to move back to Thursday. Committed which did poorly averaged a better rating than the Office the other night. Not good.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member

I get the impression that he has no idea of what people think of him. I get the feeling that he's in over his head in his position and is constantly in a state of panic. If he keeps talking he figures no one will find him out...causing him to speak without thinking.

I work with several people like that. :)

The "colored greens" had me on the floor, though.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
I thought this episode (4/5) was absolutely hilarious. For those who have seen the BBC edition: was this episode a copy of the BBC version, or a new one?

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, this was a great episode. Even though I feel like Steve Carell is overacting, he managed to convey the right feelings this time.

I laughed the most when he was talking on the phone to the mine shaft elevator guy. :D:D

/Mike

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This episode culled bits from the BBC version (like Dwight fighting for an office, even if it's really just a workspace).

I only laughed about 22 minutes into the episode, when the 'inverted penis' was mentioned as an ailment. Otherwise, I'm still not really feeling it for this show.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I only laughed for about 22 minutes during the episode. :) This was the best one yet, IMHO. The "office" versus "workspace" stuff was a thing of comic beauty.

Regards,

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
Most of the characters I have yet to enjoy, but the office jerk is doing a pretty good job. His willingness to take any task that he thinks will bring him a sense of power is fun to watch. The "office" "workspace" conversation followed by the look he gave the camera got me to chuckle and when he called the boss's boss as the end to ask about firing someone was great. I wish they would have played it up more instead of ending the show with "Oh, and you're supposed to call Jan."

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
"If you mean "vagina", then yes I want that covered." "I thought you had a hysterectomy?" "That was my uterus that was removed; I still have my vagina." [Dwight looks doubtful.]

Anal fissures? Someone has them...

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I like that they threw in some minor regional references to Scranton.

One of the few tourist attractions in Scranton is the mine tour.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
This version of The Office is beginning to grow on me. While not a copy of any of the BBC episodes, this week had, as others have pointed out, elements that were used in the British series. I find it worth watching and look forward to further character development. There are still parts of the original series that will probably be worked into the American version (like more stuff involving the receptionist's "real" boyfriend) that could produce some interesting situations.

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks