The Office season 7 thread

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Sun, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Brent M

Brent M Producer

At this point, I really think that would be a good idea. The show has moments of brilliance from time to time, but just isn't consistently funny anymore. I find myself watching it out of habit rather than really looking forward to it the way I used to and Carell leaving should be the final nail in the coffin as far as I'm concerned.

2. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    The show won't get canceled, unfortunately, if only because doing so would be laying off half of NBC. Seriously, there's like 14 different producer/co-producer/executive producer credits at the top of every show.

Also, the whole Andy/Erin/Gabe thing is beyond stupid. It's like a complete redo of last season. If there's an ongoing romance plot this year, why the hell isn't it Michael's?

But Ed Helms-centric Sweeney Todd episodes are always hilarious, and I thought it was really funny that they had him playing the male ingenue. So, a win this week.

And that whole sequence starting with Andy's iPhone going off in his pocket was one of the most uncomfortably-awkward things they've ever done. "I killed it! Because I am a murderer! Like you, Sweeney Todd! Although my character doesn't know that yet! But he suspects it! All those razors!"

3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

My guess is that Michael's storyline is on ice until Amy Ryan becomes available for filming.

4. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Before I forget to mention it, the rolling wine bottle was greatness, but probably my favorite moment was, "It's like The Hurt Locker!!"

5. Jake Gove

Jake Gove Second Unit

Enough of the musical numbers already, quit trying to jump on Glee's bandwagon (I despise Glee).

6. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

There's a rundown theater in downtown Albany near a college campus that used to be a real discount compared to the chain multiplexes. The theater smells like mold, the ceiling has water damage, the projection is iffy, but for a light dialog-driven film it was sometimes worth saving a couple bucks. I can't count the number of times I heard beer bottles rolling down the aisle. Every time it seemed to last an eternity, and then the usher bursts in trying to figure out who smuggled booze into the theater.

I've enjoyed everyone. In particular, I thought Ed Helms's rendition of "Johanna" was stellar. But the opening bits in the last couple episodes have given the show a nice little boost of energy and are a lot of fun.

7. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

May be the worst season to date. 4 episodes in, and I think I laughed once between all of them.

I keep hoping it will get better, but damn 4 episodes of shoddy writing and far too few laughs have me all but giving up on this once fantastic show.

8. Brent M

Brent M Producer

Sadly, I'm right there with you. I used to look forward to this show almost as much as anything else on TV, but now it's almost hard to sit through at times. I thought for sure this past week's episode with all of Michael's exes would be good, but I don't know if I even laughed once. Carell may have waited a season too long to abandon this sinking ship.

9. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    That's another thing -- am I the only one who thinks Carell is trying really hard not to phone it in, but just can't help it? The writing has pretty much gone downhill since Greg Daniels left, despite occasional bumps in quality.

I get the sinking feeling they are trying to reposition Ed Helms as the new "lead" of the show. That was a very "Michael-like" episode for Andy, with him running the conference on VD, and then throwing a tantrum.
    Plus, it was written and directed by Paul "Toby" Lieberstein, the current show-runner. All but a lock that they're pushing Helms forward, basically.

10. Brent M

Brent M Producer

In my opinion, as soon as Daniels left to do Parks and Recreation it instantly became a better show than The Office. As a result of that, Carell hasn't had much to work with the past couple of seasons and it's a damn shame because in the show's heyday Michael Scott was the funniest character on TV.

11. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

Read on AVClub that they are making a concerted effort to portray as many characters as possible in a 'Michael' role this season. Kind of playing 'what if THIS one was in charge' each for an episode this season before casting Michael's replacement and heading off in whatever direction that choice entails.

12. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

That makes sense. Although none of the "goofy" characters has what it takes to fill the lead of the Office. I'll watch one more episode, and if I'm disappointed again I'm through with this show.

13. sarali

sarali Auditioning

14. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Ok, "The Sting" was a good episode. Weird twist with a new salesperson at DM. Andy's band was funny, especially their song at the end about frogs. Good stuff.

15. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    I have to say that I'm sort of sick of Jim and Pam in total. Every moment their little arc with Olyphant played out on screen made me fucking cringe. The episode had its moments -- I am not ashamed to admit that the opening had me in stitches -- but boy, does this series need a shot in the arm to truly become interesting again.
    Between Michael being a completely clueless, hateful sociopath, and Jim and Pam's relentless narcissism, I'd have no problem with them leaving and re-tooling the entire thing. Or just letting it die altogether.

I mean, was it just so unbelievable that a character like Olyphant's wouldn't return a call to someone like Pam back then? "I just have to know, or it'll keep eating away at me!" Jesus, Pam.

16. Gwon Chang

Gwon Chang Stunt Coordinator

Are they grooming Darryl for the head or not? I felt it hinted last night...

17. Brent M

Brent M Producer

The beginning with things that Stanley wouldn't notice had me on the floor....by far the funniest moment in the show this season.

18. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I loved when Michael started yelling at Kevin and Kevin was nearly in tears trying to explain himself. Eventhough they've taken it way past believability, I still find it funny when Erin does something dumb.

19. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwon Chang

Lots of folks had absolutely no idea, but Angela Kinsey's been stealth-sexy for awhile. To me, at least.

20. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

They sure didn't explain well how Angela morphed from her penguin costume into the sexy nurse...but that's okay!

Josh: You are spot on with your comments about the problems they have created with the characters of Michael, Jim & Pam.