What's new

The Office season 7 thread (2 Viewers)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
What a stinker that was. I think there was only one or two funny lines in the entire extended episode, if that. One of the worst of the series. I like the concept, but it fell flat.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The point wasn't to be funny. The point was to send Michael off properly. After all of these years, I think they earned it.

The moment at the end, when Dwight and Jim simultaneously realized that their new boss is an incompetent lunatic, was the perfect punchline to the episode. The story of how Deangelo got into Sabre said it all. Andy saving the sale gone wrong was a nice scene, though.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I knew going into this episode that it would be light on the laughs and I was completely correct in my prediction. The farewell to Michael Scott was very well done and quite touching in spots. I do wish they would have sent him off with a few more hilarious moments, but I'm not going to complain. Now that they have gotten the emotional episode out of the way, I can't wait to see what they do in these final episodes with Ferrell, Will Arnett, Ricky Gervais and Jim Carrey. The writers have been given some of the greatest comic actors of our time to work with....I hope they don't screw it up!

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
A lot of cool moments, here:

Jim being understanding about Michael's secret plan to leave that night. The wordless final scene between Pam and Michael.

(I have to wonder if he actually said what Pam said he said. I am pretty sure of his final, unheard words to the camera, his character's obvious exit-line. Also, Pam was presumably still miked -- wouldn't the camera crew have picked up her side, at least?)

Dwight reading the letter of recommendation. Michael calling the meeting for really no better reason than to have everyone in the conference room one last time.

LOVED the shot of Creed with the mug, which he obviously fished out of the garbage (in Michael's office, no less).

Also, Michael making a genuine effort to be civil with Toby. That was absolutely touching in its own uniquely-awkward, endlessly-endearing way.

The last two episodes have managed to display the show's heart without being (overly) treacly, which I think is one hell of an accomplishment for (A) a series so late in its run, and (B) one losing its main attraction.

I think I had three other favorite moments: The first was the cut-scene of Michael in his office after giving Oscar the scarecrow. The second was Michael's reassuring phone conversation with Holly after he starts to panic. And the third was DeAngelo giving the world's worst sales pitch, while paired with Andy's barely-contained horror.

Oh, and I loved Michael's acknowledgement that this film-crew has been uselessly documenting the office for years now: "Let me know if this ever airs."

"It feels good to get that off my chest." Good luck, Michael Scott. It's been a blast.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Also, Michael making a genuine effort to be civil with Toby. That was absolutely touching in its own uniquely-awkward, endlessly-endearing way.

The funny thing is he now has to deal with Toby 2.0 once he gets out to Boulder.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Oh, and I loved Michael's acknowledgement that this film-crew has been uselessly documenting the office for years now: "Let me know if this ever airs."

"It feels good to get that off my chest." Good luck, Michael Scott. It's been a blast.

Glad this was brought up.

You know, when I first watched the show, I was confused as to whom the

characters were playing to. After awhile it became very obvious that there

was a film crew constantly following the characters around. Jim was the
best at giving facial reactions to the camera at every opportunity.

I am so happy that this was definitively clarified on Michael's farewell show.

It was so cool when he handed over the microphone and inquired whether

everything he did would eventually be aired.

The only thing that took me out of the moment was Pam's appearance

at the airport. This may sound silly, but what she did was impossible.
Michael had already gone through security when Pam met him moments

later. But how did she get through security without a ticket? Yeah, I know

it's a trivial matter, but it really did take me out of the moment because the

encounter wasn't believable.

In any event, it was a wonderful, teary farewell. Michael Scott will be missed.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein
But how did she get through security without a ticket?

I've seen this complaint a lot. I'm just telling myself that she purchased the cheapest 1-way ticket she could get her hands on. I've seen it in movies and shows before. I'm just choosing to believe that we as the audience simply didn't see that (rather boring) scene.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by MarkHarrison

I've seen this complaint a lot. I'm just telling myself that she purchased the cheapest 1-way ticket she could get her hands on. I've seen it in movies and shows before. I'm just choosing to believe that we as the audience simply didn't see that (rather boring) scene.
And she did have her shoes in her hand. Whether that was so she could run to the gate, or took them off to go through security will remain a mystery.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It was completely unbelievable that in this hiring climate there wouldn't be a line out of the door of qualified candidates. James Spader's character came the closest to being qualified, and he was absolutely terrifying.

Given the options presented, I'd go with Andy.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
Given the options presented, I'd go with Andy.
Despite his limitations, I'd go with Darryl since he would command more respect than Andy ever would. It was lame that they didn't choose the new boss. Obviously, none of the guest stars are going to be on the show permanently and that means it'll either be Andy, Darryl or Dwight so why not make a choice? Either way, I'm sure NBC's promo department will reveal who it is weeks before the season premiere anyway.

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
Originally Posted by TravisR

It was lame that they didn't choose the new boss. Obviously, none of the guest stars are going to be on the show permanently and that means it'll either be Andy, Darryl or Dwight so why not make a choice? Either way, I'm sure NBC's promo department will reveal who it is weeks before the season premiere anyway.

I'm going to put this in spoilers, just in case people want to be surprised in the fall:

Producers have indicated that their choice for Michael's replacement is British comedian Catherine Tate, who played Jo's friend Nellie Bertram in the finale. Rumor has it that contract negotiations are already underway.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Obviously, none of the guest stars are going to be on the show permanently
Will Arnett could have a shot. He's not as big as Carrey, Romano, or Spader (and Gervais isn't going to do it) And, I don't think he's got a full time gig right now (his show was cancelled early on this season, correct?)

I'd love to see him get it (but I'm biased because of my affection for his work in "Arrested Development")

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Arnett has a new NBC show (with Christina Applegate and Maya Rudolph) premiering this fall, Up All Night -- they actually ran a promo for it Thursday night, during the finale episode.

But yeah -- if he weren't doing that, I'd have loved to see him in the Scranton branch too as at least a semi-regular, or something.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Arnett would have been great. Probably even better than Steve Carrell.

Regarding the spoiler:

That's disappointing. She was by far my least favorite of the interviewees, even more so than Ray Ramono who actually wasn't as bad as I was expecting. If she's the chosen one, I don't see myself sticking with the show too long. Not to mention I don't know how they can justify hiring her after that interview.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Ray Ramono who actually wasn't as bad as I was expecting
Actually, I thought there was something kind of "real" about his character. I've run into many dudes who have a weird anti-social type thing across my career.

But what is it about Scranton where they can't get even one "normal" candidate in the door?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks