What's new

The Office season 5 (1 Viewer)

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

I thought that Pam would be able to get it off the wall leaving Jim looking dumbfounded.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I hope we get to see the resolution of the Andy/Angela/Dwight triangle soon. I never thought I would say this, but I feel sorry for Andy!

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I thought Michael's reaction to Toby's return was perfect, absolutely hilarious. Just screaming "NO!" over and over... however, this scene would have been SO much funnier if they didn't have Michael screaming something in nearly *every episode*. (Like a bad SNL sketch where the performers think that the louder they are, the funnier they are.) I also laughed out loud when he compared him to an "evil snail" in the talking-head sequence after the opening.

The laughs have been pushed aside for that sweet/heartbreaking/pathetic relationship stuff this season. Yes, I feel bad for Andy, but the only relationship that ever seemed real was Jim/Pam - Andy, Angela and Dwight have an element of caricature which always keeps them at arm's length from the audience. (Michael / Holly was sweet, but they didn't get nearly enough time together). Because everyone else's relationships have a less stable foundation, there's no emotional link. So you feel pity for Andy, but nothing really substantial. And why should anyone root for Dwight and Angela?

I'm so glad they haven't kept Jan around. I know the cast and writers think anything with Jan is comedy gold, but I find her character (in Seasons 3+) to be a comedy vacuum.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i thought the episode started off with classic-status potential but ended up only pretty good. maybe because they ignored the Jim/Pam standoff til the very end. also the Dwight/Angela/Andy plot went downhill after Andy stepped on in the crap #2 (which was totally hilarious)

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
The Andy/Angela/Dwight stuff was kind of boring up until Dwight's revelation (although I must admit I sort of saw it coming). But I really liked all the surplus stuff. For some reason I can't get enough of Michael's complete obliviousness whenever his employees are nice to him.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor

I doubt it. Office copiers are really expensive and can easily cost $10k on up. Nice office chairs run about $800 each.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Great episode, one of my favorite of the season, but I could have done without the "Schrute Farms" material. I'm just not responding to this whole 'love triangle' plot. If anything, this episode illustrated the two "modes" of the show - the subtle story, driven by the mundane and made brilliant through character; and the obvious circus of buffoonery (stepping in poo, secret marriages, dramatic revelations).

Jim and Pam's "alter egos" with Michael were hilarious. I can't state how much I was hoping for an episode like this to come along this season.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I love episodes that operate from a scenerio that really happens in an office environment, like a budget surplus.

I also really loved Jim's final retort at the end. It's refreshing to see a show portray a functioning, truly egalitarian relationship. Too many sitcoms feature wives bullying husbands for comedic effect, and too many hourlongs feature husbands bullying wife for dramatic effect. It's nice to see both partners keeping their opposite on their toes.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Nothing yet about the last episode? Are people still watching the show?

Real uncomfortable ending to the last one, someone will have to tell Andy what's been going on though.

Toby's reaction to the doll he bought from Darryl with priceless though as was Michael throwing his pen at Toby's head.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was a pretty funny episode. There was a steady stream of laughs like Dwight selling toys for $200 and the people are actually happy paying it, Michael tricking Meredith into his car, their battle outside the treatment center and Andy playing the sitar right after Phyllis' revelation.

As funny as that was, I thought it was even funnier when you could see that Darryl was taking such pleasure in putting Toby between a rock and a hard place.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I found the whole episode rather uncomfortable and depressing. I mean, the show normally makes me uncomfortable, but it is also normally quite funny to me. Alcoholism isn't funny to me and I feel terrible for Andy.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It definitely felt more like the first season in that regard, only broader. Meredith has always been an incredibly depressing character; this episode just highlighted her failings.
As for Andy, I think it's positively brilliant what they've done with his character. When Ed Helms was brought onto the show, Andy rivaled David Koechner's Todd Packer as the most irritatingly obnoxious character in the show's history. Without changing a single core characteristic of him, they've turned him into probably the most endearing character on the show. He's just so unstoppably good-natured in spite of all the shit that's thrown his way. By the time he figures out that he's a patsy, I bet 90 percent of the audience will be on his side.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Adam, I think you're spot on about Andy and it has been interesting to see how his character has been treated on the show. Like you pointed out, they really didn't change his character just the situations he was put in.

Jeff Pug

Stunt Coordinator
"my horn can pierce the sky" michael sings that was funny

"its polite to clap after the song"

"do you take requests ?" "stop"

Joe_H

Screenwriter
So I know that it was one of the ridiculous episodes that many here object to, but I have to say I thought tonight's episode was hilarious.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
"I knew today was going to be a bad day."
"You said that yesterday."
"My neighbor committed suicide."

I think Andy's attack was just the right level of "Holy Shit!" If he'd hit Dwight at high speeds against the concrete wall, it would have been unbelievable Dwight could survive. As it was, a slow-speed hit against a bushy chain-link fence, the situation was just the right amount of pathetic.

I absolutely LOVED that Michael's branch is the only one doing well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks