What's new

The Offical Fox Title Cancellation Notice Thread ( Q3/4 07 edition (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

Most BD releases get their final QC within 6-10 weeks of release, and player compatibility is always the last step. That's why this was just caught now and not before.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

I'm guessing they had to scrap the whole thing and the only time available for another production run was after the holiday rush.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

That would probably work on DVD as it's relatively standardized at this point, but with Blu-ray (and HD DVD) being such new technologies waiting that long for hardware compatibility testing is a flawed approach. Hopefully they're looking at changing their production model so these sorts of problems can be avoided. I'm not holding my breath though...

Jace_A

Second Unit
Well, The Day After Tomorrow has shipped for me from DVD Pacific, so at least some of Fox's titles are on schedule.

Manus

Second Unit
THAT IS ABSOLUTELY SO COOL :D

Ces 2007 Fox announce loads of discs , some of them turn up . Cedia and after Paramounts change of heart , Fox announce loads of discs , some of them turn up . Its along time since the Five Star Collection and Fox Film Noir .

Im not so sure that Fox can really be counted as a BD studio proper anymore .

~M~

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I have Fantastic 4 sequel and Day After Tomorrow on the way and next week Edward Scissorhands and The Fly. Scissorhands is one of my all time faves, so Fox is doing some great films in my opinion, and as far as I can see, is a great supporter of blu-ray, thus with a few problems. They also include lossless on every single disc (hopefully on their classics too) unlike Warner. Many new blu-ray productions lines are in the works and when these are available, I think studios will be able to get open slots much easier for pressing, there's very few now and they seem to be full, otherwise I think their delayed titles would be out faster, before the holidays.

I am also very excited for Die Hard, Inde.Day(Fox titles), Battle of Britain and Bridge Too Far (MGM through Fox), so I am, so far, a happy camper with Fox and my opinion is they are trying and releasing some good titles. After the delay of Master and Commander, Fox, within days, obviously re-scheduled a production slot for the title and announced it. Some other studios give no reason and don't reschedule.

Now my only big request to Fox is to release titles like Sound of Music, Patton, Hello Dolly, and the Cinemascope films, and their great pre-70's catalog. Then I will surely be a happy camper!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm glad you're a happy camper, but until Fox does a better job with their BRD pricing structure for catalog titles, I will be sitting on the sidelines and not purchasing much of their product.

Crawdaddy

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The usefulness of which is extremely limited, unfortunately, since it's typically DTS Master Audio, which players on the market can't decode. Why they chose that over the much more accessible Dolby TrueHD or even PCM is a mystery.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
From what Fox has said (see Hollywoodhidef site) is that they chose DTS because it produces the best signal when downsized to regular DTS. I agree it isn't the format available to most people yet. Personally, I am ok with it as the Samsung combi-player I am going to buy will support it via a promised firmware update before the holidays. But I do see your point, they should have added, if they didn't want to use Dolby, at least a 5.1 PCM track, many more people can play this track now.

I have asked before on this thread but no one has answered, has anyone sent a postal letter to Fox Home Entertainment, care of Mike Dunn, president Fox Home Entertainment 2121 Avenue of the Stars, 25th Floor Los Angeles, CA 90067 , with your gripes? I think if you want to be heard and possibly have an impact and be closer to any change, writing them would be a much better proposition than just posting here:)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Writing letters is always better than email or posting on the internet, but I know for a fact that Fox already knows that their pricing is high and have heard it from consumers, however, it's their thinking that the early adopter will pay high prices no matter what. Evidently, that's very true for some of us.

Crawdaddy

PerryD

Supporting Actor

"isn't available to most people yet" implies that there is currently a way to decode DTS Master Audio. Is there a player today that will decode it? Is there a reason that after 10 months the PS3 hasn't had a firmware update to decode it?

RobertSiegel

Reviewer

I don't know of any, but the new Samsungs will be able too, they promised a firmware update by year's end (for the 3rd gen players, I am going for the combi)...but isn't DTS Master available only via HDMI? So in that case one needs an Onkyo hdmi 1.3 receiver or other brands now coming out. The fact is (I am told) that downconverting DTS master to regular DTS (which all players play) is the best downconverting, way ahead of Dolby Digital, so the sound you get on DTS setting with these discs should be much better than Dolby Digital, or maybe even DD+...anyone know about this?> There was a thread but I never saved it, just read it.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand

My understanding is if DTS HD MA is decoded in the player it can be sent out the same way as DD TrueHD (via analog and via HDMI 1.1 and up as multichannel PCM).

Only HDMI 1.3 will allow the audio bitstreams of DTS HD MA and DD TrueHD to pass to an outboard decoder.

Paul

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Maybe DTS paid Fox to use their codec exclusively. Seems par for the course with studios these days.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
That wouldn't surprise me.

The current lack of player support doesn't bother me too much as manufacturers will eventually produce compatible players. By that time these releases will be marked down to the point that I'd be willing to upgrade titles I'm not dying to own today.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Here we go again...there has been talk over at blu-raydotcom and avs that F4: Rise of the Silver Surfer has been delayed due to production issues.
If true.....well, words won't describe what I think of Fox.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks