What's new

The Odd Couple Season One? Time-Life Exclusive? (1 Viewer)

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator
One other item of note: I went home and watched "The Jury Story" on disc 1 at lunch today, and I noticed that the "Getting to Know You" instrumental that plays over the Oscar-Felix hotel montage is intact. Contrast this with the MTM Season 1 set which removed the instrumental "White Christmas" snippet and the Season 4 set that cut a Broadway song line that was spoken by Murray.

Mike*SC

Second Unit
I'm not sure what your point is, though, other than that it's nice the music's still there. "Getting to Know You" is Rodgers and Hammerstein, "White Christmas" is Irving Berlin, and notoriously difficult to clear. It's apples and oranges. Also, this set costs twice what "Mary Tyler Moore" costs, and there's no middle man! Time-Life is not splitting the retail price with anybody. All of which is to say, had the same set of circumstances applied to MTM, there's no reason to believe that music wouldn't have been intact, too.

Ollie

Stunt Coordinator

I agree, that it's minor, but I SHARE the nitpick. My first choice is always the slim case packaging. But of all the digipacks I have (and I have an entire 5 shelf bookcase of TV-DVD's) NONE of them are without a slip case.

Other than the minor nitpick, I'm just pleased as punch to FINALLY have the set in my hands....time for a marathon!

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
Well it's in my hands.....
I feel the same way as the others that have this set.
Well done and looking forward to seasons 2-5.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I'm glad to hear so many positive comments on this set. That bodes well for GS.

Could the lack of a slipcover for the digipak been an oversight in the rush to get this out? I've never seen a digipak without one. I would almost see a slipcover as a requirement to maintain the durability of the pacakge depending on the quality of the cardboard used for the digipak.

Ollie

Stunt Coordinator
When I first got mine, I immediately ran to logon to this forum to read the descriptions others had posted, because my first thought was that I had received a "defective" set. I'm baffled on this one, as I too have never seen a digipack without a slipcase. If anyone has any insights on this please share.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
There have been digipacks released without slipcovers - All in the Family S1 and Saved by the Bell S1&2 are some that I own. Rare, but not the first time.

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
I just got my set today and I am glad to see the lack of slipcovers is normal!

Personally, I like the digipaks the rhino transformers sets have because I always wear out the edges of the slipcovers on most of my other sets slipping the damn digipaks in and out all the time.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I prefer slim cases over digipaks, and I too wish there was a slipcover... but not to offend anyone.... what did you all think of the SHOWS?? We've got a great collection here!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

They are Fantastic and It's bringing me back because I have'nt seen them in years. I live in Western Mass but I remember Watching them every Night from Ch 11 WPIX in New York. What a Great Lineup they had. Odd Couple at 11pm , Honeymooners at 11:30 and Twilight Zone at 12&12:30. Those were the days. Now you get to watch infomercials. These are even Nicer since they are Uncut, unlike Ch 11 where the Syndicated Cuts ruled. I always liked the 1st Season as it had more of a Feel of the Movies, especially since they did more outside locations, it felt Larger than TV. The Show was Fantastic still after they went in Front of a Studio Audience but it definately felt less like film and more like a sitcom. I always felt the Odd Couple Handled this transition well, and another Marshall Series Happy Days, handled it not so well.

Mike*SC

Second Unit
Mine hasn't come yet! And that's a big shame, because my whole family's out of town this weekend, and if I had to be all alone, I figured at least I could enjoy a bunch of "Odd Couple"s. I ordered it that first day, too!

Ah well... when it comes, it comes. Unfortunately, then I'll be fighting for the television!

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I received my set today and as I glanced at a few of the episodes I noticed they seem to be using a truncated version of the show's opening. I always remembered there being a long version in the earlier seasons where there was a narrator who set up the premise, culminating in "...can two divorced men share an apartment without driving each other crazy?". Is this used in a later season, or are these DVD's using a different version for this season?

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
I got my box set last week while I was on vacation, have yet to actually pop a disc in and watch any episodes, but I look forward to doing that this ``weekend'' once I'm done with work. I thought the Digipak without the sleeve was a bit bizarre, too.
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Another interesting thing, the apartment set is Basically the movie set but there is no dining room, the wall has been moved forward. In the movie the dining room is where Felix ate his linguini and Oscar sprayed the table.

:)

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

Dave, a slight correction on the WPIX lineup. I believe it was The Odd Couple at 11, The Honeymooners at 11:30, Star Trek at 12 midnight and the Twilight Zone at 1. I used to live in the NYC area and grew up with these shows and that classic WPIX lineup...ahh the good old days!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

At some point they had Trek on but I think it was earlier, in the late 80's early 90's I think it was the lineup I quoted, I think PIX aired Trek Nightly at 6pm

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone out there got a favorite S1 ep after watching the set? It's hard for me to narrow it down to one, but I'd have to vote for "It's All Over Now, Baby Bird." Really great comedy: Oscar's thwarted efforts to dispose of Albert, the rising costs of the pet cemetary ("Papier-mache. We don't even give it a name."), the funeral director's reaction to the Pigeon Sisters attending, Felix's reaction to the o.d., and the surprise twist near the end. Haven't listened to the Klugman commentary for it, yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks